Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > something deleted my music files

something deleted my music files

Bill

I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.

Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
empty.

Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
catch it?

Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
music back, is welcome.

ImhoTech

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
> been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>
> Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
> for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
> so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
> empty.
>
> Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
> catch it?
>
> Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
> music back, is welcome.

Nothing at all in the folder? Do you jave the folder options set to display
hidden files and folders? One of those P2P file sharing worms will set a
hidden attribute on music files and drop a file with the same name except a
..vbs or .exe extension.

Bill

ImhoTech wrote:
> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
>>been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>>
>>Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
>>for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
>>so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
>>empty.
>>
>>Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
>>catch it?
>>
>>Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
>>music back, is welcome.
>>

> Nothing at all in the folder? Do you jave the folder options set to display
> hidden files and folders? One of those P2P file sharing worms will set a
> hidden attribute on music files and drop a file with the same name except a
> .vbs or .exe extension.

Nothing at all. I looked with Windows Explorer and I have my preferneces
set
to show all the details of the files. I have never downloaded music
from the net at all.
These were all from my own CDs..which I paid for..

Bill

ImhoTech wrote:

> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
>>been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>>
>>Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
>>for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
>>so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
>>empty.
>>
>>Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
>>catch it?
>>
>>Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
>>music back, is welcome.
>>

> Nothing at all in the folder? Do you jave the folder options set to display
> hidden files and folders? One of those P2P file sharing worms will set a
> hidden attribute on music files and drop a file with the same name except a
> .vbs or .exe extension.

I used Windows Explorer to look for the files...used the Search feature
to see if I could loacate them in another folder if they had been moved.
I have everything set to show me all the details about files.
I have never downloaded any music from the net.
I have checked my entire hard drive looking for any trace and can't find
one.
To make matters even worse, I never back up my music files since they
are compressed about as much as they would be on a backup disk...I
didn't want to waste so many disks when I did a backup. I usually just
worry about files I have created and system files being backed up.
Now it looks like I have to recopy all of those CDs or drop the whole thing.
I would really like to know the cause more than a solution.. I would
like to see both.

Thanks

Ingeborg

Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> ImhoTech wrote:
>
>> "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>>I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them
>>>have been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player
>>>upgrades.
>>>
>>>Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
>>>for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other
>>>players, so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder
>>>is totally empty.
>>>
>>>Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus
>>>scanner catch it?
>>>
>>>Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
>>>music back, is welcome.
>>>

>> Nothing at all in the folder? Do you jave the folder options set to
>> display hidden files and folders? One of those P2P file sharing worms
>> will set a hidden attribute on music files and drop a file with the
>> same name except a .vbs or .exe extension.
>>

> I used Windows Explorer to look for the files...used the Search
> feature to see if I could loacate them in another folder if they had
> been moved. I have everything set to show me all the details about
> files. I have never downloaded any music from the net.
> I have checked my entire hard drive looking for any trace and can't
> find one.
> To make matters even worse, I never back up my music files since they
> are compressed about as much as they would be on a backup disk...I
> didn't want to waste so many disks when I did a backup. I usually
> just worry about files I have created and system files being backed
> up. Now it looks like I have to recopy all of those CDs or drop the
> whole thing. I would really like to know the cause more than a
> solution.. I would like to see both.
>
> Thanks

Look at the bright side. Now you've got 6000 MB more diskspace, right?
If not, the files still are somewhere.

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Wed,
28 Jul 2004 09:30:29 -0700, Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> screamed from behind
the mulberry bush:

>I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
>been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>
>Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
>for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
>so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
>empty.
>
>Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
>catch it?
>
>Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
>music back, is welcome.

It was the RIAA, they were in your computer. Look out! They'll
probably sue you next!

Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

Thorkild Dalsgaard

Bill wrote:
> I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them
> have been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player
> upgrades.

> how I can get my music back.

Do not use the PC more than absolutely nescessary
so that deleted files are not overwritten

So, on another PC, download
http://www.collina.us/files/REST2514.htm
REST2514.EXE 193 KB

Put the program on a floppy or USB memorystick, and run the program from
there:

Restoration
Restore files which are deleted from the recycle bin by mistake.
[OS] Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows Me Windows NT Windows 2000
Windows XP
Freeware

regards
Thorkild Dalsgaard

HelinaHandbasket

Bill wrote:

> I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
> been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>
> Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
> for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
> so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
> empty.
>
> Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
> catch it?
>
> Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
> music back, is welcome.

Windows Media Player *is* a virus. If you have downloaded the updates
for it, then you are borked. These updates have a clause in the User
Agreement about the Digital Millenium Copyright laws....and adds a
static noise to all music files, whether legal or not. I'm not sure
why Windows Media Player deletes them, but it has happened to a few
folks before, but mostly just the static in the playback. Good luck.

Have you searched for *.mp3 files?

Use Jet Audio. It is a much nicer program and a free basic player is
offered.

http://www.jetaudio.com/download/

LuckyGuy

Where the hell did you hear that crap?
I have reinstalled Windows 98 through XP on several machines and not
once has it affected the .mp3s

John

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:28:50 -0500, HelinaHandbasket
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Bill wrote:
>
>> I had over 100 CDs recorded on my computer and suddenly all of them have
>> been deleted. The last thing I did was install the Media Player upgrades.
>>
>> Does Media Player somehow delete music files for some reason? I paid
>> for the CDs and have not transferred any of the music to other players,
>> so I don't think I've broken any rules, but the music folder is totally
>> empty.
>>
>> Is this a virus attack of some sort? if so, why did't my virus scanner
>> catch it?
>>
>> Any explanation of what happend, why it happend and how I can get my
>> music back, is welcome.

>Windows Media Player *is* a virus. If you have downloaded the updates
>for it, then you are borked. These updates have a clause in the User
>Agreement about the Digital Millenium Copyright laws....and adds a
>static noise to all music files, whether legal or not. I'm not sure
>why Windows Media Player deletes them, but it has happened to a few
>folks before, but mostly just the static in the playback. Good luck.
>
>Have you searched for *.mp3 files?
>
>Use Jet Audio. It is a much nicer program and a free basic player is
>offered.
>
>http://www.jetaudio.com/download/

HelinaHandbasket

You're the lucky one.

I didn't just _hear_ it, I've experienced it.

On *every* one of my friends and families computers, the *.mp3's played
with a static and sometimes they just disappeared.

LuckyGuy wrote:

> Where the hell did you hear that crap?
> I have reinstalled Windows 98 through XP on several machines and not
> once has it affected the .mp3s
>
> John

<snip>