Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Recycle Bin Problems

Recycle Bin Problems

rfdjr1@optonline.net

I'm heading to my brother's tonight to try and straighten out some
computer problems he has. He's had the system about five years and
probably never did any maintenance on it. I'm going to clean it up the
best I can for him, but one problem he's mentioned is with the Recycle
Bin. He says that when he tries to empty it, he gets some error
message from Windows Explorer. He's using Windows 98SE. I haven't seen
this problem before and don't know what I'll do about it. Any ideas
what the problem coud be, based on this info? He says he can right
click on the Recycle Bin and click on Explore to see what's in it, but
he can't empty it. Thanks for any insight.

°Mike°

Reboot into DOS (hold the CTRL key at startup until
the DOS menu appears, and choose 'Command Prompt
Only'). At the DOS prompt type:

cd c:
c:
smartdrv
deltree /y recycled

This will delete the recycle bin completely; it will be
rebuilt from scratch when you reboot into Windows.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:51:53 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Thanks Mike. I'll do that.

>Reboot into DOS (hold the CTRL key at startup until
>the DOS menu appears, and choose 'Command Prompt
>Only'). At the DOS prompt type:
>
>cd c:
>c:
>smartdrv
>deltree /y recycled
>
>This will delete the recycle bin completely; it will be
>rebuilt from scratch when you reboot into Windows.
>

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:51:53 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> (E-Mail Removed) scrawled:
>
>>I'm heading to my brother's tonight to try and straighten out some
>>computer problems he has. He's had the system about five years and
>>probably never did any maintenance on it. I'm going to clean it up the
>>best I can for him, but one problem he's mentioned is with the Recycle
>>Bin. He says that when he tries to empty it, he gets some error
>>message from Windows Explorer. He's using Windows 98SE. I haven't seen
>>this problem before and don't know what I'll do about it. Any ideas
>>what the problem coud be, based on this info? He says he can right
>>click on the Recycle Bin and click on Explore to see what's in it, but
>>he can't empty it. Thanks for any insight.

°Mike°

You're welcome.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:12:50 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
(E-Mail Removed) scrawled:

>Thanks Mike. I'll do that.
>
>>Reboot into DOS (hold the CTRL key at startup until
>>the DOS menu appears, and choose 'Command Prompt
>>Only'). At the DOS prompt type:
>>
>>cd c:
>>c:
>>smartdrv
>>deltree /y recycled
>>
>>This will delete the recycle bin completely; it will be
>>rebuilt from scratch when you reboot into Windows.
>>

>>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:51:53 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> (E-Mail Removed) scrawled:
>>
>>>I'm heading to my brother's tonight to try and straighten out some
>>>computer problems he has. He's had the system about five years and
>>>probably never did any maintenance on it. I'm going to clean it up the
>>>best I can for him, but one problem he's mentioned is with the Recycle
>>>Bin. He says that when he tries to empty it, he gets some error
>>>message from Windows Explorer. He's using Windows 98SE. I haven't seen
>>>this problem before and don't know what I'll do about it. Any ideas
>>>what the problem coud be, based on this info? He says he can right
>>>click on the Recycle Bin and click on Explore to see what's in it, but
>>>he can't empty it. Thanks for any insight.

--
Basic computer maintenance

rfdjr1@optonline.net

Worked just fine. Thanks again.

>You're welcome.
>

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:12:50 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> (E-Mail Removed) scrawled:
>
>>Thanks Mike. I'll do that.
>>
>>>Reboot into DOS (hold the CTRL key at startup until
>>>the DOS menu appears, and choose 'Command Prompt
>>>Only'). At the DOS prompt type:
>>>
>>>cd c:
>>>c:
>>>smartdrv
>>>deltree /y recycled
>>>
>>>This will delete the recycle bin completely; it will be
>>>rebuilt from scratch when you reboot into Windows.
>>>

>>>On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 16:51:53 -0400, in
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> (E-Mail Removed) scrawled:

°Mike°

You're welcome.

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:24:51 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
(E-Mail Removed) scrawled:

>Worked just fine. Thanks again.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

JamesBenson

As far as I could see, mike's mum is his dad and vica versa, well I was
stood next to them

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You're welcome.
>

> On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 23:24:51 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> (E-Mail Removed) scrawled:
>
> >Worked just fine. Thanks again.

> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Where do i find the recycle bin? XP PRO with norton protected bin Quiz Time Computer Support 6 06-27-2004 11:13 AM
recycle bin problems Hugh Sutherland Computer Support 0 09-19-2003 03:40 AM
Folder stuck in Recycle Bin Ivan MCSE 2 08-02-2003 03:08 AM
Re: nortons recycle bin? Šaz ©. Computer Support 0 06-24-2003 04:34 PM

Advertisments