Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > ftp serving

ftp serving

Spider

With MTS Highspeed are you allowd to have an FTP server setup on your home
computer. I would like to transfer some files from my friends computer to
mine. As of right now I can log on but I cannot transfer files, and SERV-U
help says that sometimes the ISP doesn't allow FTP servers on there network.

Unk

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:16:32 -0500, "Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>With MTS Highspeed are you allowd to have an FTP server setup on your home
>computer. I would like to transfer some files from my friends computer to
>mine. As of right now I can log on but I cannot transfer files, and SERV-U
>help says that sometimes the ISP doesn't allow FTP servers on there network.

If you have a firewall running, you need to open ports 20 and 21.

Spider

I have, and I can connect fine. It's when I try to view or download or
upload from that directory. It gives me an error saying that server has
reset.

"Unk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 21:16:32 -0500, "Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>With MTS Highspeed are you allowd to have an FTP server setup on your home
>>computer. I would like to transfer some files from my friends computer to
>>mine. As of right now I can log on but I cannot transfer files, and
>>SERV-U
>>help says that sometimes the ISP doesn't allow FTP servers on there
>>network.
>>

> If you have a firewall running, you need to open ports 20 and 21.

Hamman

"Spider" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:kWiNc.2012$(E-Mail Removed)...
> With MTS Highspeed are you allowd to have an FTP server setup on your home
> computer. I would like to transfer some files from my friends computer to
> mine. As of right now I can log on but I cannot transfer files, and

SERV-U
> help says that sometimes the ISP doesn't allow FTP servers on there

network.

Try setting up an alternate file transfer method.

Try :

HTTP - setup a webserver on thier connection
IM - Send them over instant messaging programs such as
http://messenger.msn.com - fine for thing upto 150Mb

hamman