Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > dos duh moment

dos duh moment

jsc

need to make a floppy disk, and using win 98 boot disk with cdrom support to
boot to dos.
how do i copy files and folders from a cd drive (drive e to floppy drive,
i need to do this for a driver floppy required for install
tried this w/ no luck

copy e:\via\file\driver\txtsetup /a:

SgtMinor

Leave out the slash before a:

jsc wrote:

> need to make a floppy disk, and using win 98 boot disk with cdrom support to
> boot to dos.
> how do i copy files and folders from a cd drive (drive e to floppy drive,
> i need to do this for a driver floppy required for install
> tried this w/ no luck
>
> copy e:\via\file\driver\txtsetup /a:

jsc

that worked.. for single files, but how do i copy an entire directory from
cd to floppy... sorry been long time since i have had to even access dos

"jsc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsIfNc.115643$Mr4.77562@pd7tw1no...
> need to make a floppy disk, and using win 98 boot disk with cdrom support

> boot to dos.
> how do i copy files and folders from a cd drive (drive e to floppy

drive,
> i need to do this for a driver floppy required for install
> tried this w/ no luck
>
> copy e:\via\file\driver\txtsetup /a:

SgtMinor

Not sure what you mean, but to copy all files from e:\via\file\driver\
to a floppy along with txtsetup you could type the command copy
e:\via\file\driver\*.* a: at the DOS prompt.

jsc wrote:

> that worked.. for single files, but how do i copy an entire directory from
> cd to floppy... sorry been long time since i have had to even access dos
>
> "jsc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsIfNc.115643$Mr4.77562@pd7tw1no...
> > need to make a floppy disk, and using win 98 boot disk with cdrom support

> > boot to dos.
> > how do i copy files and folders from a cd drive (drive e to floppy

> drive,
> > i need to do this for a driver floppy required for install
> > tried this w/ no luck
> >
> > copy e:\via\file\driver\txtsetup /a:

jsc

that just copies the single files, wont copy the whoany directories inside
the directory.. no worries.. i'll just have to hunt down someone and borrow
their computer and transfer the files from cd to floppy. just pain in the
ass

"SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Not sure what you mean, but to copy all files from e:\via\file\driver\
> to a floppy along with txtsetup you could type the command copy
> e:\via\file\driver\*.* a: at the DOS prompt.
>
> jsc wrote:
> >
> > that worked.. for single files, but how do i copy an entire directory

from
> > cd to floppy... sorry been long time since i have had to even access dos
> >
> > "jsc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > newsIfNc.115643$Mr4.77562@pd7tw1no...
> > > need to make a floppy disk, and using win 98 boot disk with cdrom

support
> > > boot to dos.
> > > how do i copy files and folders from a cd drive (drive e to floppy

> > drive,
> > > i need to do this for a driver floppy required for install
> > > tried this w/ no luck
> > >
> > > copy e:\via\file\driver\txtsetup /a:

Toolman Tim

Here ya go...

xcopy e:\via\file\driver\*.* a: /s

The /s is for subdirectories. You may also want to use /v at the end - for
verify - although it slows it down some, since it reads back the copy to
compare it to the original.

"jsc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsdkNc.119208$od7.97513@pd7tw3no
>| that just copies the single files, wont copy the whoany directories
>| inside the directory.. no worries.. i'll just have to hunt down
>| someone and borrow their computer and transfer the files from cd to
>| floppy. just pain in the ass
>|
>| "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>| > Not sure what you mean, but to copy all files from
>| > e:\via\file\driver\ to a floppy along with txtsetup you could type
>| > the command copy e:\via\file\driver\*.* a: at the DOS prompt.

>| from

>| support

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

splatterer

go to www.AllBootDisks.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here ya go...
>
> xcopy e:\via\file\driver\*.* a: /s
>
> The /s is for subdirectories. You may also want to use /v at the end - for
> verify - although it slows it down some, since it reads back the copy to
> compare it to the original.
>

> "jsc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> newsdkNc.119208$od7.97513@pd7tw3no
> >| that just copies the single files, wont copy the whoany directories
> >| inside the directory.. no worries.. i'll just have to hunt down
> >| someone and borrow their computer and transfer the files from cd to
> >| floppy. just pain in the ass
> >|
> >| "SgtMinor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >| news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> >| from

> >| support

> --
> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Ava Keech

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:37:35 GMT, "jsc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>need to make a floppy disk, and using win 98 boot disk with cdrom support to
>boot to dos.
>how do i copy files and folders from a cd drive (drive e to floppy drive,
>i need to do this for a driver floppy required for install
>tried this w/ no luck
>copy e:\via\file\driver\txtsetup /a:

Use a file manager! For DOS I like Volkov Commander. Get it here:

http://www.egner-online.de/vc/

fkasner

splatterer wrote:
> go to www.AllBootDisks.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Here ya go...
>>
>>xcopy e:\via\file\driver\*.* a: /s
>>
>>The /s is for subdirectories. You may also want to use /v at the end - for
>>verify - although it slows it down some, since it reads back the copy to
>>compare it to the original.
>>

>>"jsc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>newsdkNc.119208$od7.97513@pd7tw3no

>>--
>>"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
>> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Not quite correct. What the "v" parameter does is compare the original
stuff with the stuff that was sent. It does not read the target to see
what actually was recorded there. A common mistake about this DOS
command. It leads to a false sense of security. You can have a bad disk
or a bad disk drive and nothing gets recorded and this command parameter
will assure it that it was OK.
FK

jsc

thank you much, commander worked like a charm, took awhile as i had to make
all the folders then copy the files, but it worked.
booted using win 98 boot disk then copied vc file to c: from cd and it ran
no prob
thanks again...and for my problem of installing xp onto my sata drive...
seems to be working great now that i have the disk =)

"Ava Keech" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 22:37:35 GMT, "jsc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >need to make a floppy disk, and using win 98 boot disk with cdrom support

> >boot to dos.
> >how do i copy files and folders from a cd drive (drive e to floppy

drive,
> >i need to do this for a driver floppy required for install
> >tried this w/ no luck
> >copy e:\via\file\driver\txtsetup /a:

> Use a file manager! For DOS I like Volkov Commander. Get it here:
>
> http://www.egner-online.de/vc/

Having a 'duh' moment - how do spell obsucfiate?? Milhouse Van Houten Computer Support 6 04-01-2007 06:05 AM
OT: Duh Briscobar MCSE 9 08-29-2005 02:06 PM
Add/Remove Programs Help Kinda Wierd Do Not Ignore Terrable Subject JustIgnore The Subject Oops Whatever Duh Samuel Townsend Computer Support 0 10-13-2004 12:49 AM
moment by moment Ken W. DVD Video 0 09-24-2003 12:22 AM
Re: digital watermarking -- free, ... DUH! Beowulf Digital Photography 1 08-22-2003 06:54 PM

Advertisments