Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Creating a Webserver

Creating a Webserver

Hello,

I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
it up in my home?

I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband connection.
There would be minimal bandwidth usage.

Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.

Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?

Thank You,

Chris Matthews

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
> it up in my home?
>
> I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband

connection.
> There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
>
> Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
>
> Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?

It would probably be cheaper and more secure to host it with a reputable
hosting company. Also, your ISP may not allow server hosting on your
broadband connection.

--Tina
--
FREE: Web hosting accounts
HOSTING: Cpanel, Multi-domains, Resellers

Brian

"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello,
>
> I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
> it up in my home?
>
> I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband

connection.
> There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
>
> Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
>
> Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?
>
> Thank You,
>
> Chris Matthews

but of course.. get wamp, ibserver or something like that (they are web
servers) and then get a service like no-ip (google around.. you will be
surprised from all the hits).. oh and don't listen to what Tina-Junk tells
you!

Brian

"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hello,
>
> I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
> it up in my home?
>
> I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband

connection.
> There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
>
> Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
>
> Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?
>
> Thank You,
>
> Chris Matthews

and i also forgot to say that they are FREE!

| Steve |

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 05:50:15 GMT, "s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
>it up in my home?

Yep. Personally, I would use Apache (free): <http://httpd.apache.org/>
You might not even need to buy an additional PC.

Apache is complicated, but highly reliable and therefore worth the
trouble, IMO. Read the help files carefully.

If you're on a tight budget, this might be the way to go. Keep in
mind, however, that most home broadband ISP's prohibit servers such as
these and you run the risk of getting your service canceled. I would
check before using it regularly.

Bebop & Rocksteady

> I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and
> set it up in my home?
>
> I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband
> connection. There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
>
> Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
>
> Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?

Xitami Web Server
http://www.xitami.com/

Mercury Email Server
http://www.pmail.com

Not all ISP allow this with broadband, And you may need to change your
account type....

FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

The future is our past and our past is our future.

Jim Berwick

"Bebop & Rocksteady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Xns9531C8450DBC8spammenot@
203.96.92.12:

> Mercury Email Server
> http://www.pmail.com

Mercury rocks!

Hamman

"s" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and set
> it up in my home?
>
> I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband

connection.
> There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
>
> Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
>
> Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?
>
> Thank You,
>
> Chris Matthews

www.dslwebserver.com is a good start.

I'm currently hosting site for a number of local businesses on a dual P1 200
with 128Mb of ram.
256k upload is plenty for light sites.

See if your ISP will either give you a static IP address or even better, a
set of IP adresses. I currently have 5 WAN IP's assigned to my connection.

hamman

jsc

before i got a www address and pay for someone else to host

iwas using a prgram called small http (allows ftp, smtp, and http)
combined with no-ip
and when setup up properly, i was also able to run it behind the firewalll
on the router

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "s" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've been wondering... Is it possible for me to purchase a server, and

set
> > it up in my home?
> >
> > I would like to host a few websites from my home via a broadband

> connection.
> > There would be minimal bandwidth usage.
> >
> > Just curious, as I just had my unlimited hosting account terminated.
> >
> > Can anyone offer me ideas or a webpage to learn more about the idea?
> >
> > Thank You,
> >
> > Chris Matthews
> >

> and i also forgot to say that they are FREE!

I have a home broadband connection through Comcast. . .

Also, I would be hosting about five websites, so would I need a different IP
address for each one, assigned by my ISP?

Thanks,

Chris

news:(E-Mail Removed)...