Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Leading Zeros

Leading Zeros

Gary

I have an application issue where I need to save leading zeros from a
flat database and move it into a spreadsheet-type environment where I
might be able to create multiple copies of a particular line by using a
fill-down function. I can do this with Excel, but there is the
possibility that it might see several hands, and they tend to try to
sort Excel, and this can foul it up royally. I need to stick with
something that if sorted won't munge tghe data. Anyone know of a
database app/spreadsheet app that will permit filldowns, permit pasting
of data with leading zeros from text files and save/retain leading
zeros?? The old MS Works for the Mac would do this but is old now and I
need to try to stick to a Windows environment.

FatMax

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:07:52 GMT, Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have an application issue where I need to save leading zeros from a
>flat database and move it into a spreadsheet-type environment where I
>might be able to create multiple copies of a particular line by using a
>fill-down function. I can do this with Excel, but there is the
>possibility that it might see several hands, and they tend to try to
>sort Excel, and this can foul it up royally. I need to stick with
>something that if sorted won't munge tghe data. Anyone know of a
>database app/spreadsheet app that will permit filldowns, permit pasting
>of data with leading zeros from text files and save/retain leading
>zeros??

Calc which comes supplied with OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 supports easy
formatting with leading zeros (highlight cells and select format_# of
leading zeros) and allows fill down. If the cells are formatted as
number before you do the import from the text file "munging" isn't a
problem. As you're familiar with Excel it'll take you about 2 minutes
to pick Calc up

You can download the latest version of OOo from
http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.2/index.html
for free - 64 MB for the Windows version or buy a copy on CD from a
local distributor at
http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/sellers.html
Average cost in the UK is about 5GBP - which is slightly cheaper than
MSO!

>The old MS Works for the Mac would do this but is old now and I
>need to try to stick to a Windows environment.

Calc will save into xls format or you can just *legally* burn copies
of OOo for the users who'll use your app.

HTH

--
FatMax

Gary Danaher

I just looked at OO Calc and it behaves precisely like Excel. I'm
looking for a spreadsheet/database that is essentially idiot proof so
that it will permit both fill down and permit someone to click a single
column to sort, and it will view it as a database and carry the sort to
all columns of info. I've had folks use Excel to sort things as a
database and they managed to destroy everything. The only program I am
aware of where it worked properly was in the MS Works for the
Macintosh--the Windows version of Works will sort properly but won't
import leading zeros as text. I can create a Works database and enter a
leading zero just fine, but I can't import a text file with a leading
zero. This all relates to a database with property serial numbers, room
numbers,etc. which must have a leading zero.

FatMax wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:07:52 GMT, Gary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I have an application issue where I need to save leading zeros from a
>>flat database and move it into a spreadsheet-type environment where I
>>might be able to create multiple copies of a particular line by using a
>>fill-down function. I can do this with Excel, but there is the
>>possibility that it might see several hands, and they tend to try to
>>sort Excel, and this can foul it up royally. I need to stick with
>>something that if sorted won't munge tghe data. Anyone know of a
>>database app/spreadsheet app that will permit filldowns, permit pasting
>>of data with leading zeros from text files and save/retain leading
>>zeros??

> Calc which comes supplied with OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 supports easy
> formatting with leading zeros (highlight cells and select format_# of
> leading zeros) and allows fill down. If the cells are formatted as
> number before you do the import from the text file "munging" isn't a
> problem. As you're familiar with Excel it'll take you about 2 minutes
> to pick Calc up
>
> You can download the latest version of OOo from
> http://download.openoffice.org/1.1.2/index.html
> for free - 64 MB for the Windows version or buy a copy on CD from a
> local distributor at
> http://distribution.openoffice.org/cdrom/sellers.html
> Average cost in the UK is about 5GBP - which is slightly cheaper than
> MSO!
>

>>The old MS Works for the Mac would do this but is old now and I
>>need to try to stick to a Windows environment.

> Calc will save into xls format or you can just *legally* burn copies
> of OOo for the users who'll use your app.
>
> HTH

Hexadecimal formatting with leading zeros?! Dmitry Bond. ASP .Net 1 10-13-2005 08:55 AM
Leading Zeros Gary Computer Support 1 07-24-2004 01:55 PM
Formatting an integer with leading zeros GIMME Java 5 02-13-2004 05:01 PM
leading zeros - wrong int r.magdeburg C++ 2 12-01-2003 07:16 PM
Re: CSV for Excel - Problem with Leading Zeros Luke Zhang [MSFT] ASP .Net 0 06-26-2003 01:34 PM

Advertisments