Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Adobe Reader - Old and New

Adobe Reader - Old and New

John R. Baker

I have the FULL version of Adobe Acrobat (4.01a) installed on my notebook
computer. It works great, both as a stand-alone program, and as a browser
helper (IE 6.0). I use it to create PDF content.

I need to access some PDF Version 6.0 files on the Internet, but my older
version 4.0 has problems. The first page or two opens OK, but I get an
error message if I try to scroll further down. The browser application will
allow me to save the file to my hard disk. If I do that, I am able to
successfully open the downloaded file with my older Acrobat 4.0 program.

I downloaded and installed the latest FREE Adobe Reader (Version 6.0.2), but
I do NOT want to uninstall the full Acrobat 4.0 because I need the
capability to create PDF content. The two versions of Acrobat seem to
coexist peacefully on my computer, and both function properly.

Here's my problem: When I click on a web link to a PDF file, it still opens
with the older version 4.0. I want the file to open with the new version
6.0.

I found a work-around. If I start the Acrobat 6.0 program first, and let
that window remain open, then IE6.0 will open the PDF link with the new 6.0
reader. If I then close the 6.0 reader, IE once again tries to open PDF
files with the older version 4.0.

I experimented with file associations in the Windows Folder Options, but was
not able to get IE to open PDF files with the new version.

How can I get IE to open PDF files with the new version 6.0 of Acrobat
Reader WITHOUT uninstalling my full Adobe Acrobat 4.0?

Here's my configuration:
Windows 98SE
PII-400, 384 MB RAM Notebook
Internet Explorer 6.0
Adobe Acrobat 4.01a (Full version)
Adobe Reader 6.0.2 (Free reader)

-- John R. Baker

Parko

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:29:20 +0000, John R. Baker wrote:

> I experimented with file associations in the Windows Folder Options, but was
> not able to get IE to open PDF files with the new version.

Right clunk on the file icon. Open With...and tick the ticky thingy at
the bottom of the window to make the change permanent.

--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

John R. Baker

"Parko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 00:29:20 +0000, John R. Baker wrote:
>
> > I experimented with file associations in the Windows Folder Options, but

was
> > not able to get IE to open PDF files with the new version.

> Right clunk on the file icon. Open With...and tick the ticky thingy at
> the bottom of the window to make the change permanent.
>
> --
> Parko
> Registered Linux User #339345
> Defenestrate Windows!
> And now for something completely different...wear baldness with pride.
> http://www.parko-polishes.com

Parko, I tried your suggestion, but it didn't work. I used Shift-Right
Click, open with AcroRd32.exe and checked the box "Always use this..." and
that did in fact work for clicking on local PDF files. But when I opened a
web-based PDF file, the "open with" got reset back to the older 4.0 version.

Thanks for the suggestion.

--
John R. Baker