Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > xp home networking wireless

xp home networking wireless

tnwycked

Im trying to setup a wireless home network using a linksys router but am
having access problems if there is anyone that can help it would be much
appreciated.

Thank you,

Duane Arnold

"tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UHgMc.8046$AF6.6169
@fe1.columbus.rr.com:

> Im trying to setup a wireless home network using a linksys router but am
> having access problems if there is anyone that can help it would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Thank you,

I use a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router. What kind of access problems are
you having?

Duane

tnwycked

news:Xns952FBB991ABF8notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
> "tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UHgMc.8046$AF6.6169
> @fe1.columbus.rr.com:
>
> > Im trying to setup a wireless home network using a linksys router but am
> > having access problems if there is anyone that can help it would be much
> > appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you,
> >

> I use a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router. What kind of access problems are
> you having?
>
> Duane

Thanks for you offer of help

Im using the same router you are and the other 2 computers use a wireless
network adapter card, the other a usb adapter all linksys and here is whats
happening... My sys is the main one with the internet connection(cable), I
can access everything on the 2 other computers but they cannot access
anything on mine, I have printer and a few other folders shared but anytime
they try to access my computer it pops up a log on box with my pc name/guest
on it instead of allowing them to use their sign on names or even use my
admin log on and pass, but they can access the internet from the other
computers. And when they try to add my printer it tells them its not
connected. Im at loss on what the problem is or could be...

tnwycked

tnwycked

news:Xns952FBEB1F86B0notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
> "tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:nahMc.7892$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns952FBB991ABF8notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
> >> "tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UHgMc.8046$AF6.6169
> >> @fe1.columbus.rr.com:

> >> I use a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router. What kind of access
> >> problems are you having?
> >>
> >> Duane

> > Thanks for you offer of help
> >
> > Im using the same router you are and the other 2 computers use a
> > wireless network adapter card, the other a usb adapter all linksys and
> > here is whats happening... My sys is the main one with the internet
> > connection(cable), I can access everything on the 2 other computers
> > but they cannot access anything on mine, I have printer and a few
> > other folders shared but anytime they try to access my computer it
> > pops up a log on box with my pc name/guest on it instead of allowing
> > them to use their sign on names or even use my admin log on and pass,
> > but they can access the internet from the other computers. And when
> > they try to add my printer it tells them its not connected. Im at loss
> > on what the problem is or could be...
> >
> > tnwycked
> >

> What are the O/S(s) being used on all the computers on the network?
>
> Duane

Oops sorry I forgot to add that little bit of info..
All pc's are using win xp pro

tnwycked

Duane Arnold

"tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:nahMc.7892$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns952FBB991ABF8notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
>> "tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:UHgMc.8046$AF6.6169
>> @fe1.columbus.rr.com:
>>
>> > Im trying to setup a wireless home network using a linksys router
>> > but am having access problems if there is anyone that can help it
>> > would be much appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you,
>> >

>> I use a Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless router. What kind of access
>> problems are you having?
>>
>> Duane

> Thanks for you offer of help
>
> Im using the same router you are and the other 2 computers use a
> wireless network adapter card, the other a usb adapter all linksys and
> here is whats happening... My sys is the main one with the internet
> connection(cable), I can access everything on the 2 other computers
> but they cannot access anything on mine, I have printer and a few
> other folders shared but anytime they try to access my computer it
> pops up a log on box with my pc name/guest on it instead of allowing
> them to use their sign on names or even use my admin log on and pass,
> but they can access the internet from the other computers. And when
> they try to add my printer it tells them its not connected. Im at loss
> on what the problem is or could be...
>
> tnwycked

What are the O/S(s) being used on all the computers on the network?

Duane

Duane Arnold

"tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:SjhMc.8050$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns952FBEB1F86B0notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
>> "tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:nahMc.7892$(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>> > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:Xns952FBB991ABF8notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..

>> > Thanks for you offer of help
>> >
>> > Im using the same router you are and the other 2 computers use a
>> > wireless network adapter card, the other a usb adapter all linksys
>> > and here is whats happening... My sys is the main one with the
>> > internet connection(cable), I can access everything on the 2 other
>> > computers but they cannot access anything on mine, I have printer
>> > and a few other folders shared but anytime they try to access my
>> > computer it pops up a log on box with my pc name/guest on it
>> > instead of allowing them to use their sign on names or even use my
>> > admin log on and pass, but they can access the internet from the
>> > other computers. And when they try to add my printer it tells them
>> > its not connected. Im at loss on what the problem is or could be...
>> >
>> > tnwycked
>> >

>> What are the O/S(s) being used on all the computers on the network?
>>
>> Duane

> Oops sorry I forgot to add that little bit of info..
> All pc's are using win xp pro
>
> tnwycked

I'll assume you have told the O/S to *Share* the printer.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ain/printersha
re.mspx

You should use Authenticated Users on all Shares. What that means to you
is that you create User Accounts on your machine that match the User-ID
that the users will use on the other machines when they login on them.

For me, the user-id and psw on all my machines are the same and the psw
is set to *Never Expire*. What this does for me is when I access a share
on another machine, the account being used is the same on both machines
and it never stops to ask for user-id and psw.

I don't think you'll want to do that and you'll have play with the
accounts for the PSW. You should limit the other users to only accessing
the *shares* and nothing else.

Take note on the Authenticated Users account being used on shares in
being explained in the links.

http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/se...puting/xp.html

You may want to implement some of the other security tips to secure the
XP O/S(s).

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husd...wsxp/wxpp2.php

I also use IPsec that on the O/S to secure the LAN *take note* on the
Windows Networking Ports.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_tr...with_ipsec.htm

You should secure the wireless.

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/hack...a072004b_2.htm

If you're still having problems on the sharing, post back and someone
will help you.

HTH

Good luck

Duane

tnwycked

news:Xns952FC921196B5notmenotmecom@204.127.204.17. ..
> "tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:SjhMc.8050$(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns952FBEB1F86B0notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..
> >> "tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> >> news:nahMc.7892$(E-Mail Removed):

> >> What are the O/S(s) being used on all the computers on the network?
> >>
> >> Duane

> > Oops sorry I forgot to add that little bit of info..
> > All pc's are using win xp pro
> >
> > tnwycked
> >

> I'll assume you have told the O/S to *Share* the printer.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...ain/printersha
> re.mspx
>
> You should use Authenticated Users on all Shares. What that means to you
> is that you create User Accounts on your machine that match the User-ID
> that the users will use on the other machines when they login on them.
>
> For me, the user-id and psw on all my machines are the same and the psw
> is set to *Never Expire*. What this does for me is when I access a share
> on another machine, the account being used is the same on both machines
> and it never stops to ask for user-id and psw.
>
> I don't think you'll want to do that and you'll have play with the
> accounts for the PSW. You should limit the other users to only accessing
> the *shares* and nothing else.
>
> Take note on the Authenticated Users account being used on shares in
> being explained in the links.
>

> http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/se...puting/xp.html
>
> You may want to implement some of the other security tips to secure the
> XP O/S(s).
>
> http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husd...wsxp/wxpp2.php
>
> I also use IPsec that on the O/S to secure the LAN *take note* on the
> Windows Networking Ports.
>
> http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_tr...with_ipsec.htm
> http://www.analogx.com/contents/articles/ipsec.htm
>
> You should secure the wireless.
>
> http://netsecurity.about.com/od/hack...a072004b_2.htm
>

> If you're still having problems on the sharing, post back and someone
> will help you.
>
> HTH
>
> Good luck
>
> Duane

Thank you for the help, I had user profiles added, but went back and
double checked all spelling, caps, ect... Still couldnt figure out the
problem, so i just removed my whole network and re-added it. Right now
everything seems to be working. The security tips in the link were
appreciated, some i had already in effect but there were several others that
I hadnt thought of or heard of.

Thank you much for your time and help
tnwycked

Duane Arnold

"tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
newspRMc.10758$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns952FC921196B5notmenotmecom@204.127.204.17. ..
>> "tnwycked" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:SjhMc.8050$(E-Mail Removed):
>>

>> > "Duane Arnold" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:Xns952FBEB1F86B0notmenotmecom@204.127.199.17. ..

>> > Oops sorry I forgot to add that little bit of info..
>> > All pc's are using win xp pro
>> >
>> > tnwycked
>> >

>> I'll assume you have told the O/S to *Share* the printer.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...intain/printer
>> sha re.mspx
>>
>> You should use Authenticated Users on all Shares. What that means to
>> you is that you create User Accounts on your machine that match the
>> User-ID that the users will use on the other machines when they login
>> on them.
>>
>> For me, the user-id and psw on all my machines are the same and the
>> psw is set to *Never Expire*. What this does for me is when I access
>> a share on another machine, the account being used is the same on
>> both machines and it never stops to ask for user-id and psw.
>>
>> I don't think you'll want to do that and you'll have play with the
>> accounts for the PSW. You should limit the other users to only
>> accessing the *shares* and nothing else.
>>
>> Take note on the Authenticated Users account being used on shares in
>> being explained in the links.
>>

>> http://www.stanford.edu/dept/itss/se...puting/xp.html
>>
>> You may want to implement some of the other security tips to secure
>> the XP O/S(s).
>>
>> http://www.uksecurityonline.com/husd...wsxp/wxpp2.php
>>
>> I also use IPsec that on the O/S to secure the LAN *take note* on the
>> Windows Networking Ports.
>>
>> http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_tr...with_ipsec.htm
>> http://www.analogx.com/contents/articles/ipsec.htm
>>
>> You should secure the wireless.
>>
>> http://netsecurity.about.com/od/hack...a072004b_2.htm
>>

>> If you're still having problems on the sharing, post back and someone
>> will help you.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Duane
>>

> Thank you for the help, I had user profiles added, but went back and
> double checked all spelling, caps, ect... Still couldnt figure out the
> problem, so i just removed my whole network and re-added it. Right
> now everything seems to be working. The security tips in the link were
> appreciated, some i had already in effect but there were several
> others that I hadnt thought of or heard of.
>
> Thank you much for your time and help
> tnwycked

You are welcome.

Duane