Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help with problem sending mail

Help with problem sending mail

Sharonius

Hi Guys,
Whenever I try to send mail using OE it fails & I get this:

"An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No,
Error Number: 0x800C0131"

Any Ideas on the reason & how I can rectify it, It's also stopping me
deleting mail out of my boxes,
Many thanks for any help

The Great Cornholio

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:05:27 +0100, "Sharonius"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>Whenever I try to send mail using OE it fails & I get this:
>
>"An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No,
>Error Number: 0x800C0131"
>
>Any Ideas on the reason & how I can rectify it, It's also stopping me
>deleting mail out of my boxes,
>Many thanks for any help

From a web page brought up as the first hit on a Google search on the
above;

Outlook Express: Errors, Problems, Solutions
An Internet Resources Page
by: Bob in Houston Your PI Homepage
Tech Help Index
Software Fit For A Geek
Site Map

Updated: 02/22/04 02:30 am

Problem or Error
Outlook Express Error Codes
Windows Error Codes

Error 405 when sending mail
Error number: 480 Code: 800ccca4

Error 553 when sending mail
Outlook Express can't remember passwords 02/22/04 02:30 am

Error Message: Your password was rejected. Account "account name"
Server pop.domain.net Protocol Pop3 Server response ERR 302 command
pass requires 1 args Port110 Server SSL No. server Error OX800CCC90
Error 0X800CCC92
When I try to encrypt my messages, this is the message I get: "You do
not have a valid digital ID in the address book."
Links In Outlook Express mail and news don't work.
Unable to remove infopane
MSIMN caused an invalid page fault in Pimab32.dll
An unknown error has occurred..... Server Response: '501 Invalid
domain name.... Server Error 501, Error Number 0x800CCC63
An Unknown error has occurred.
Account:'user.name',Server:'mail.virgin.net',Proto col: POP3, Port:
110, Secure(SSL):No, Error Number:0x80004005
An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL):
No, Error Number: 0x800C0131
Unable to start Outlook Express. Some of the components may be busy
or missing
Illegal Operations in Outlook Express
Unable to print messages in Outlook Express
Unable to start Outlook Express or send an email message
Outlook Express could not be started because msoe.dll could not be
initialized
Outlook Express Could Not Be Started Because MSOE.DLL Could Not Be
Loaded
Disconnects occur after opening Outlook Express
How to fully remove Outlook Express - Windows 95/98

Error logging onto mail server. Password was rejected. Acct:
'pop.prodigy.net' Server '127.0.0.1,' Protocol: POP3, Server
Response:'-ERR307 username/password invalid,' Port: 110, Secure(SSL):
No Server Error: 0 x 800CCC90. Error number: 0 x 800CCC92
Backup and Recovery

Attachment Problem: with 'unknown' winmail.dat or att1.unk
If you receive attachments att1.unk or winmail.dat that can't be
opened or used?
When I try to delete a message in Outlook Express, I get an error box
reading "The message could not be deleted".
EML attachments don't open or open the wrong application

Solutions

Error 405 when sending mail
Check the account properties, especially the reply-to address.
top

Error number: 480 Code: 800ccca4 The Error Reads
480 Authentication Required
Configuration:
Account: news account (news-byoa.prodigy.net)
Server: news server (news-byoa.prodigy.net)
Protocol: NNTP
Port: 119
Server: (SSL):0
Error number: 480
Code: 800ccca4
The solution is
- Open Outlook Express
- Click Tools and Accounts...
- Click the news tab
- click on news-byoa.prodigy.net (the server) in the list.
- Select properties,
Screenshot

In the next panel:
- Select the server tab.
- Check the box for "This server requires me to login."
- Fill in your username and password (your username is your complete,
primary email address, and the password is your current network log on
password).
- Don't select "Use secure password authentication." (Check with your
provider for username and security details)
Screenshot

top

Error 553 when sending mail
Check the account properties, especially the reply-to address.
Check the Address Book is set up correctly.
Check the recipients address in the To: field is a valid address.
top

Outlook Express keeps prompting for your password
This may be caused by a damaged Registry key in Windows® XP
To Remove the broken Key in Windows® XP see this website
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_oe_passwords.htm -
Thursday, April 03, 2003

Outlook Express refuses to remember passwords
Despite telling Outlook Express to remember your passwords, it keeps
forgetting them. Try this:
- Go to the DOS prompt (Start/Shut Down/Restart the computer in MS-DOS
Mode).
-- For Windows 95/98 go to your ...\Windows\System directory,
-- for Windows NT/2k/XP go to your ...\WinNT\System32 directory.
- Now type: pstores -install
- The next time you give OE your password, it should be saved.
Friday 25 July 2003

Cannot Save E-Mail Account Password in Outlook Express
(Webroot Software Window Washer are involved)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228713
02/22/04 02:30 am

Outlook Express Does Not Save the Mail Server Logon Password - from
the MS Knowledgebase
-- (Q216382) Cannot Save E-Mail Account Password in Outlook Express
(Win98/Me/NT4)
-- Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or XP
top

ERR302 command passrequires 1 args Port110 Server SSL No. server
ErrorOX800CCC90Error0X800CCC92
In Outlook/Outlook Express :
- Click on Tools | Accounts | and on the account "account name".
- Select [Properties]
- On the "Servers" Tab UNcheck the box that says "Secure Password
Authentication Account" near the bottom of the panel.

top

Disconnects occur after opening Outlook Express
This may be caused by Outlook Express attempting to get Windows to
dial when a connection to the Internet is already present. Try the
following to resolve the issue:
- on the Outlook Express toolbar select
tools | accounts | mail tab | properties button | connection tab
- check mark the "always connect to this account using" box
- select Local Area Network from the dropdown list.
- click apply and ok
This will cause OE to use the existing connection and not cause a
disconnect by trying to dial when a connection already exists.
Monday, December 03, 2001
top

When I try to encrypt my messages, I get this message: "You do not
have a valid digital ID in the address book.". To solve it:
-- Check to see if something is entered in the Reply To field under
Tools | Accounts | Mail | Your Server | Properties | General.
If there is, clear the Reply To field.
OR
-- If that doesn't work, then perhaps you have selected"Include myself
when sending encrypted mail" but you haven't added your own Digital ID
to a WAB entry.
To do that, simply send yourself a Digitally signed message and then
add your certificate to the WAB,
OR
-- UNcheck "Include myself when sending encrypted mail".
top

Links In Outlook Express mail and news don't work.
If you click on links in OE mail and news and they do not work, it's
because Outlook Express is not your default mail and news program and
IE is not your default browser. Do this:
1--In Outlook Express, go to Tools | Options and make sure that
"Make Outlook Express my default mail program" and
"Make Outlook Express my default news reader are checked.
2--In IE, go to View | Internet Options | Programs
and select OE for mail and news.
Also, be sure "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the
default browser" is checked.
If the problem persists, see:
OLEXP: "Send To" and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as
NOTE: Prodigy members install the PIv5 patch found at
http://help.prodigy.net/help/enhance/win95/v5fix.html or
http://help.prodigy.net/help/enhance/win2000/w2000.html
top

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'Test Mail,' Server:
'smtp.test.net,' Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '501 Invalid domain
name,' Port: 25, Secure (SSL): No, Server Error 501, Error Number
0x800CCC63
Try changing the computer name for this error.
- Go to Control Panel | Network. (Install Client for Microsoft
Networks if it is not listed).
- After that is done, in Control Panel | Network,
- click on the Identification tab
- and change the computer name to something short,
(Suggest the name be simple ASCII, no space characters, no special
characters, and do not include the domain name of your ISP)
top

An Unknown error has occurred. Account:'user.name', Server:
'pop.domain.net',Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL):No, Error
Number:0x80004005
The pop3uidl.dat file is corrupt. This file contains all the
information regarding which messages on the server should be
downloaded, etc.
- Close OE
- delete the file pop3uidl.dat
- then open OE and check the mail account settings again.
- Fetch your email

top

An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL):
No, Error Number: 0x800C0131
This error may be generated if the Folders.dbx file is missing,
damaged, or in the read-only attribute state

RESOLUTION
Rename the Folders.dbx file. Here is how:
1. Close Outlook Express and Click Start | Find (Search), and then
click Files or Folders.
2. In the Named box, type folders.dbx.
3. In the Look In box, select the primary hard disk (usually drive C),
and then click Find Now.
4. Right-click on the file, folders.dbx, and Rename.
5. Type folders.bak, and enter.
6. Re-Start Outlook Express. This creates a new Folders.dbx file
automatically.

Sharonius

Big thanks to The Great Cornholio

news:(E-Mail Removed)...