Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NTFS vs Fat32

NTFS vs Fat32

userone@mail2wiz.com

I need some opinions on FAT32 vs. NTFS

I am currently running XP only, but until recently I was dual booting
between 98 and XP so my "C:" drive is currently FAT32.

Would I be better off, converting the "C:" drive to NTFS, or should I
leave it alone.

Which would be faster? Which is less likely to suffer data loss,
after a lockup?

I know securtiy wise, NTFS would be the way to go, but I am the only
one who uses this computer, so that is not really an issue.

And if I decide to convert, would it be better or safer to use
Partition Magic (version or the Convert command.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

philo

> I need some opinions on FAT32 vs. NTFS
>
> I am currently running XP only, but until recently I was dual booting
> between 98 and XP so my "C:" drive is currently FAT32.
>
> Would I be better off, converting the "C:" drive to NTFS, or should I
> leave it alone.
>
> Which would be faster? Which is less likely to suffer data loss,
> after a lockup?
>
> I know securtiy wise, NTFS would be the way to go, but I am the only
> one who uses this computer, so that is not really an issue.
>
> And if I decide to convert, would it be better or safer to use
> Partition Magic (version or the Convert command.
>
> Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

although i have a similar setup and have had no problems...
if i had it all to do over i'd probably start out with NTFS simply due
to better fault tolerance

Jason Redmill

Win 98 cannot use NTFS partitions. If you need to dual boot 98 and XP from
the same physical drive, then you can only use FAT32.

Jase

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> > I need some opinions on FAT32 vs. NTFS
> >
> > I am currently running XP only, but until recently I was dual booting
> > between 98 and XP so my "C:" drive is currently FAT32.
> >
> > Would I be better off, converting the "C:" drive to NTFS, or should I
> > leave it alone.
> >
> > Which would be faster? Which is less likely to suffer data loss,
> > after a lockup?
> >
> > I know securtiy wise, NTFS would be the way to go, but I am the only
> > one who uses this computer, so that is not really an issue.
> >
> > And if I decide to convert, would it be better or safer to use
> > Partition Magic (version or the Convert command.
> >
> > Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

> although i have a similar setup and have had no problems...
> if i had it all to do over i'd probably start out with NTFS simply due
> to better fault tolerance

Me

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> Which is less likely to suffer data loss, after a lockup?

Neither if you disable write-behind caching.

userone@mail2wiz.com

I am no longer Dual Booting; this is why I was considering converting
Drive C: to NTFS.

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:50:51 GMT, "Jason Redmill"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Win 98 cannot use NTFS partitions. If you need to dual boot 98 and XP from
>the same physical drive, then you can only use FAT32.
>
>Jase
>
>"philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> > I need some opinions on FAT32 vs. NTFS
>> >
>> > I am currently running XP only, but until recently I was dual booting
>> > between 98 and XP so my "C:" drive is currently FAT32.
>> >
>> > Would I be better off, converting the "C:" drive to NTFS, or should I
>> > leave it alone.
>> >
>> > Which would be faster? Which is less likely to suffer data loss,
>> > after a lockup?
>> >
>> > I know securtiy wise, NTFS would be the way to go, but I am the only
>> > one who uses this computer, so that is not really an issue.
>> >
>> > And if I decide to convert, would it be better or safer to use
>> > Partition Magic (version or the Convert command.
>> >
>> > Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

>> although i have a similar setup and have had no problems...
>> if i had it all to do over i'd probably start out with NTFS simply due
>> to better fault tolerance

Unk

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:16:52 -0500, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>I need some opinions on FAT32 vs. NTFS
>I am currently running XP only, but until recently I was dual booting
>between 98 and XP so my "C:" drive is currently FAT32.
>Would I be better off, converting the "C:" drive to NTFS, or should I
>leave it alone.
>
>Which would be faster? Which is less likely to suffer data loss,
>after a lockup?
>
>I know securtiy wise, NTFS would be the way to go, but I am the only
>one who uses this computer, so that is not really an issue.
>
>And if I decide to convert, would it be better or safer to use
>Partition Magic (version or the Convert command.
>
>Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

NTFS vs FAT32, FAT16, FAT - Comparing Performance
http://www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

Overview of FAT, HPFS, and NTFS File Systems
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=100108

Limitations of the FAT32 in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314463

Choosing between NTFS, FAT, and FAT32
http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/h..._and_FAT32.asp

NTFS Versus Fat32
http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/w...201552,00.html

mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, (E-Mail Removed) mused:

| I am no longer Dual Booting; this is why I was considering converting
| Drive C: to NTFS.

If you do elect to convert, make sure you use a utility that allows your
to set the cluster size of the new NTFS partition. I believe the default is
512 for a conversion while the default for a fresh NTFS format is 4k.
Partition Magic allows you to set the cluster size for a FAT32 conversion.