Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > File associations.

File associations.

Basil Grose

I cleaned my pc with a wonder program and as I feared the cleaning had some
unexpected results. I use PopFile to keep junkmail at bay. It would not start
and I got a message that an url had no associated file, go to
MyComputer-View-Folderoptions. What to do there not a clue. I looked at the
battery of Url options and found two had no associated files. On comparison with
another machine with Win 98 I found that they were both set up the same but mine
was lacking associated files. Retyping the target file of the settings of the
program but making no change restored operation. There is a whole new world for
accidentally upsetting one's pc here and my query is where can I find details of
the association of files with programs. Help not much use. In this particular
case Internet Explorer was required why I can't see as PopFile starts with the
pc but IE does not.
With kind regards,

Basil Grose

°Mike°

Would you repeat that again, but in English?

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 19:49:33 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Basil Grose scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Toolman Tim

"Basil Grose" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| I cleaned my pc with a wonder program and as I feared the cleaning
>| had some unexpected results. I use PopFile to keep junkmail at bay.
>| It would not start and I got a message that an url had no associated
>| file, go to MyComputer-View-Folderoptions. What to do there not a
>| clue. I looked at the battery of Url options and found two had no
>| associated files. On comparison with another machine with Win 98 I
>| found that they were both set up the same but mine was lacking
>| associated files. Retyping the target file of the settings of the
>| program but making no change restored operation. There is a whole
>| new world for accidentally upsetting one's pc here and my query is
>| where can I find details of the association of files with programs.
>| Help not much use. In this particular case Internet Explorer was
>| required why I can't see as PopFile starts with the pc but IE does
>| not.
>| With kind regards,
>|
>| Basil Grose

Reinstall the program. It will re-associate the filetypes.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~