Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Regarding .NET framework requirements

Regarding .NET framework requirements

Tarundeep Singh Kalra

Hi,
I am making a dot net application (C#-WinForms) - now problem is that .NET
framework is a pre-requiste .

So my questions are :-

1). Will .NET Framework will be avaialble by default with all Microsoft
Future OS's ?

2). It is really messy to give complete .NET framework (23 MB) alongwith the
application . is there a way around - i know there is no way- but what i
want to ask is what about users with no .NET framework ?
Is there anything as compact framework which will only install those
assemblies that i need to give alongwith. It is really a problem to port the
users to install the framwork - analogues to the situation wherein java
desktop solutions failed (SWINGS) because of Java VM.

3). What is expected time when Longhorn would be released ?

4). Most of my users are WinXP , Is there any SP that has .NET framework in
it ? Would it be there in SP2 .

Regards

--
Tarun
Tarundeep Singh Kalra

tarun_at_tarunsadhana_dot_com
visit:
www.tarunsadhana.com

Steven H

On Thu, 6 May 2004 19:39:33 +0530, Tarundeep Singh Kalra wrote:

> Hi,
> I am making a dot net application (C#-WinForms) - now problem is that .NET
> framework is a pre-requiste .

you got it the wrong way around, the .net framework has Always been a
pre-requsate for .net applications (you cant have one without the other).

> So my questions are :-
>
> 1). Will .NET Framework will be avaialble by default with all Microsoft
> Future OS's ?

longhorn ships with .net 2.0

> 2). It is really messy to give complete .NET framework (23 MB) alongwith the
> application .

i disagree, if you ship on cdrom then put the framework there. if you ship
via the net then provide a link for your user to download the framework
from microsoft.

> is there a way around - i know there is no way- but what i
> want to ask is what about users with no .NET framework ?

if your customers want to use your application they will install the
framework - simple as that.

> Is there anything as compact framework which will only install those
> assemblies that i need to give alongwith. It is really a problem to port the
> users to install the framwork - analogues to the situation wherein java
> desktop solutions failed (SWINGS) because of Java VM.

java desktop end user solutions failed because amoungst other things it
*was* slow and fat.

http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/

> 4). Most of my users are WinXP , Is there any SP that has .NET framework in
> it ? Would it be there in SP2 .

cant answer that one.

Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic

..net Geek

Tarundeep Singh Kalra

Thanks a lot steven

--
Tarun
Tarundeep Singh Kalra
(tarundeep1976_nospam_at_yahoo_dot_nospam_dot_com)

tarun_at_tarunsadhana_dot_com
visit:
www.tarunsadhana.com
"Steven H" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 6 May 2004 19:39:33 +0530, Tarundeep Singh Kalra wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am making a dot net application (C#-WinForms) - now problem is that

..NET
> > framework is a pre-requiste .

> you got it the wrong way around, the .net framework has Always been a
> pre-requsate for .net applications (you cant have one without the other).
>
> > So my questions are :-
> >
> > 1). Will .NET Framework will be avaialble by default with all Microsoft
> > Future OS's ?

> longhorn ships with .net 2.0
>
> > 2). It is really messy to give complete .NET framework (23 MB) alongwith

the
> > application .

> i disagree, if you ship on cdrom then put the framework there. if you ship
> via the net then provide a link for your user to download the framework
> from microsoft.
>
> > is there a way around - i know there is no way- but what i
> > want to ask is what about users with no .NET framework ?

> if your customers want to use your application they will install the
> framework - simple as that.
>
> > Is there anything as compact framework which will only install those
> > assemblies that i need to give alongwith. It is really a problem to port

the
> > users to install the framwork - analogues to the situation wherein java
> > desktop solutions failed (SWINGS) because of Java VM.

> java desktop end user solutions failed because amoungst other things it
> *was* slow and fat.
>
> > 3). What is expected time when Longhorn would be released ?

> http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/
>
> > 4). Most of my users are WinXP , Is there any SP that has .NET framework

in
> > it ? Would it be there in SP2 .

> cant answer that one.

> Steven H, 3rd Year B.I.T. Otago Polytechnic
>
> .net Geek

CT

>> 4). Most of my users are WinXP , Is there any SP that has .NET framework
>> in
>> it ? Would it be there in SP2 .

The .NET Framework 2.0 won't be Windows XP in SP2

--
Carsten Thomsen
Enterprise Development with VS .NET, UML, and MSF