Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Looking for a NON thermal single lable printer

Looking for a NON thermal single lable printer

Jack B. Pollack

I am currently using the Seiko Smart Label Printer 240 to print 2" X 4"
labels. The problem is that it is a thermal printer and the text fades in
sun light within a few months (these labels are being put on taxi cab meters
and are constantly exposed to sun light).

I am looking for a label printer (single label at a time) that will print
'large' (aprox 2" X 4") labels that is not thermal.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Toolman Tim

"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| I am currently using the Seiko Smart Label Printer 240 to print 2"
>| X 4" labels. The problem is that it is a thermal printer and the
>| text fades in sun light within a few months (these labels are being
>| put on taxi cab meters and are constantly exposed to sun light).
>|
>| I am looking for a label printer (single label at a time) that will
>| print 'large' (aprox 2" X 4") labels that is not thermal.
>|
>| Anyone have any ideas?
>|
>| Thanks

Nope. But you could consider thermal transfer ribbons in some of the other
thermal type printers. We do that at work for our old Zebra printers - the
ribbon is wax-based ink and it melts onto the paper. I can do direct thermal
too, which is okay for our stock inside the boxes - but the boxes have to be
thermal transfer.

Another idea, depending on how many labels you have to print, you can do
nice laser labels in 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. Avery makes some nice "weatherproof"
labels now. But of course, you have to format the label layout in say, MS
Word or something like that. Word has templates for Avery labels but I
prefer Lotus Word Pro for this kind of thing. We do time cards for the plant
employees that way, since they are done in very small batches.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Jack B. Pollack

Thanks. I going to call Zebra in the morning.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >| I am currently using the Seiko Smart Label Printer 240 to print 2"
> >| X 4" labels. The problem is that it is a thermal printer and the
> >| text fades in sun light within a few months (these labels are being
> >| put on taxi cab meters and are constantly exposed to sun light).
> >|
> >| I am looking for a label printer (single label at a time) that will
> >| print 'large' (aprox 2" X 4") labels that is not thermal.
> >|
> >| Anyone have any ideas?
> >|
> >| Thanks

> Nope. But you could consider thermal transfer ribbons in some of the other
> thermal type printers. We do that at work for our old Zebra printers - the
> ribbon is wax-based ink and it melts onto the paper. I can do direct

thermal
> too, which is okay for our stock inside the boxes - but the boxes have to

be
> thermal transfer.
>
> Another idea, depending on how many labels you have to print, you can do
> nice laser labels in 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. Avery makes some nice

"weatherproof"
> labels now. But of course, you have to format the label layout in say, MS
> Word or something like that. Word has templates for Avery labels but I
> prefer Lotus Word Pro for this kind of thing. We do time cards for the

plant
> employees that way, since they are done in very small batches.
>
> --
> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

doS

You need weatherproof ink Tim, the stock wont matter that much as far as
fading....

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >| I am currently using the Seiko Smart Label Printer 240 to print 2"
> >| X 4" labels. The problem is that it is a thermal printer and the
> >| text fades in sun light within a few months (these labels are being
> >| put on taxi cab meters and are constantly exposed to sun light).
> >|
> >| I am looking for a label printer (single label at a time) that will
> >| print 'large' (aprox 2" X 4") labels that is not thermal.
> >|
> >| Anyone have any ideas?
> >|
> >| Thanks

> Nope. But you could consider thermal transfer ribbons in some of the other
> thermal type printers. We do that at work for our old Zebra printers - the
> ribbon is wax-based ink and it melts onto the paper. I can do direct

thermal
> too, which is okay for our stock inside the boxes - but the boxes have to

be
> thermal transfer.
>
> Another idea, depending on how many labels you have to print, you can do
> nice laser labels in 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. Avery makes some nice

"weatherproof"
> labels now. But of course, you have to format the label layout in say, MS
> Word or something like that. Word has templates for Avery labels but I
> prefer Lotus Word Pro for this kind of thing. We do time cards for the

plant
> employees that way, since they are done in very small batches.
>
> --
> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Toolman Tim

Laser printers don't use ink ;o) nor do the thermal transfer labels -
the ink is permanently melted onto the label stock.

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| You need weatherproof ink Tim, the stock wont matter that much as
>| far as fading....
>|
>| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| > "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| > >|
>| > >|
>| > >|

>| > Nope. But you could consider thermal transfer ribbons in some of
>| > the other thermal type printers. We do that at work for our old
>| > Zebra printers - the ribbon is wax-based ink and it melts onto the
>| > paper. I can do direct
>| thermal
>| > too, which is okay for our stock inside the boxes - but the boxes
>| > have to
>| be
>| > thermal transfer.
>| >
>| > Another idea, depending on how many labels you have to print, you
>| > can do nice laser labels in 8-1/2 x 11 sheets. Avery makes some
>| > nice
>| "weatherproof"
>| > labels now. But of course, you have to format the label layout in
>| > say, MS Word or something like that. Word has templates for Avery
>| > labels but I prefer Lotus Word Pro for this kind of thing. We do
>| > time cards for the
>| plant
>| > employees that way, since they are done in very small batches.

doS

dong!!!!! duh me...crawls off in corner

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Laser printers don't use ink ;o) nor do the thermal transfer labels -
> the ink is permanently melted onto the label stock.
>
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> >| You need weatherproof ink Tim, the stock wont matter that much as
> >| far as fading....
> >|
> >| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >| > >|
> >| > >|
> >| > >|

> >| thermal
> >| be

> >| "weatherproof"
> >| plant

doS

the ribbon is wax-based ink ?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Laser printers don't use ink ;o) nor do the thermal transfer labels -
> the ink is permanently melted onto the label stock.
>
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> >| You need weatherproof ink Tim, the stock wont matter that much as
> >| far as fading....
> >|
> >| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >| > >|
> >| > >|
> >| > >|

> >| thermal
> >| be

> >| "weatherproof"
> >| plant

Toolman Tim

Sort of - it's real ink, in a wax base, so the wax melts by the thermal
printhead, sticking nicely to the paper. The plastic ribbon remains behind.
The same technology is used in some plain-paper faxes - our Panasonic at
work, for example, uses that.

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| the ribbon is wax-based ink ?
>|
>| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| > Laser printers don't use ink ;o) nor do the thermal transfer
>| > labels - the ink is permanently melted onto the label stock.
>| >
>| > "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| > news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| > >|
>| > >| > >|
>| > >| > >|
>| > >| > >|

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

doS

"Laser printers don't use ink ;o) nor do the thermal transfer labels -
the ink is permanently melted onto the label stock."

So they do use ink....

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sort of - it's real ink, in a wax base, so the wax melts by the thermal
> printhead, sticking nicely to the paper. The plastic ribbon remains

behind.
> The same technology is used in some plain-paper faxes - our Panasonic at
> work, for example, uses that.
>
> "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)
> >| the ribbon is wax-based ink ?
> >|
> >| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >| news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >| > >|
> >| > >| > >|
> >| > >| > >|
> >| > >| > >|

> --
> "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where
> THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Toolman Tim

Okay - ya got me there <g>! But it isn't ink in the same format that most
printers use. Nor is it water soluable, so it's good for almost all uses.
It's even possible to get label stock that is weatherproof.

"doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| "Laser printers don't use ink ;o) nor do the thermal transfer labels
>| - the ink is permanently melted onto the label stock."
>|
>| So they do use ink....
>|

>| "Toolman Tim" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| > Sort of - it's real ink, in a wax base, so the wax melts by the
>| > thermal printhead, sticking nicely to the paper. The plastic
>| > ribbon remains
>| behind.
>| > The same technology is used in some plain-paper faxes - our
>| > Panasonic at work, for example, uses that.
>| >
>| > "doS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| > news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| > >|

<snipped>