Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > freeware password lock for Win98 won't work now

freeware password lock for Win98 won't work now

trader-of-some-jacks

In 2001, I downloaded and installed on my Windows 98 machine a nice
simple freeware password lock for my Windows 98 machine. That program,
Protector Win 3 Deluxe, can be read about and downloaded from
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/gr.../protector.htm

The software worked fine on my machine (I got it to keep my then very
young kids from messing with the computer and screwing it up), then I
pretty much stopped using it last year, as the kids were older and more
responsible.

A few months ago, I used it, and I changed the password to something
different. Although I'm positive that I changed the password back to
the same thing it had always been later that day, I now can't get the
program to unlock. Thank goodness, I *don't* have it set up to launch
on startup!

Using control panel:add/remove programs, I've uninstalled the software,
then downloaded and reinstalled it again from
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/gr.../protector.htm (my version I'd
had before was the same version downloadable now).

The program comes with no documentation. The web site I reference says
to, upon launching the program, leave password blank and click on
"options" to set the password. But that doesn't work for me. The
program says that I've entered an incorrect password if I leave password
blank.

Can someone troubleshoot this for me? Obviously, somewhere in my
system, maybe the registry, there's a password being saved. I'd like to
know how to clear it out and start from scratch with the program.

JD

"trader-of-some-jacks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In 2001, I downloaded and installed on my Windows 98 machine a nice
> simple freeware password lock for my Windows 98 machine. That

program,
> Protector Win 3 Deluxe, can be read about and downloaded from
> http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/gr.../protector.htm
>
> The software worked fine on my machine (I got it to keep my then

very
> young kids from messing with the computer and screwing it up), then

> pretty much stopped using it last year, as the kids were older and

more
> responsible.
>
> A few months ago, I used it, and I changed the password to something
> different. Although I'm positive that I changed the password back

> the same thing it had always been later that day, I now can't get

the
> program to unlock. Thank goodness, I *don't* have it set up to

launch
> on startup!
>
> Using control panel:add/remove programs, I've uninstalled the

software,
> then downloaded and reinstalled it again from
> http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/gr.../protector.htm (my version

I'd
> had before was the same version downloadable now).
>
> The program comes with no documentation. The web site I reference

says
> to, upon launching the program, leave password blank and click on
> "options" to set the password. But that doesn't work for me. The
> program says that I've entered an incorrect password if I leave

password
> blank.
>
> Can someone troubleshoot this for me? Obviously, somewhere in my
> system, maybe the registry, there's a password being saved. I'd

like to
> know how to clear it out and start from scratch with the program.

Why not remove it and replace it with this.
Winsecure-IT is similar to the builtin lock feature of Windows
NT/2K/XP, however developed for Windows 95/98/ME.

It is to be used much like you would use a passwordenabled screensaver
under Win9x, just without all the hassle.

http://www.sguft.com

JD

"JD" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:lMBLc.120420$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "trader-of-some-jacks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In 2001, I downloaded and installed on my Windows 98 machine a

nice
> > simple freeware password lock for my Windows 98 machine. That

> program,
> > Protector Win 3 Deluxe, can be read about and downloaded from
> > http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/gr.../protector.htm
> >
> > The software worked fine on my machine (I got it to keep my then

> very
> > young kids from messing with the computer and screwing it up),

then
> > pretty much stopped using it last year, as the kids were older and

> more
> > responsible.
> >
> > A few months ago, I used it, and I changed the password to

something
> > different. Although I'm positive that I changed the password back

> > the same thing it had always been later that day, I now can't get

> the
> > program to unlock. Thank goodness, I *don't* have it set up to

> launch
> > on startup!
> >
> > Using control panel:add/remove programs, I've uninstalled the

> software,
> > then downloaded and reinstalled it again from
> > http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/gr.../protector.htm (my

version
> I'd
> > had before was the same version downloadable now).
> >
> > The program comes with no documentation. The web site I reference

> says
> > to, upon launching the program, leave password blank and click on
> > "options" to set the password. But that doesn't work for me. The
> > program says that I've entered an incorrect password if I leave

> password
> > blank.
> >
> > Can someone troubleshoot this for me? Obviously, somewhere in my
> > system, maybe the registry, there's a password being saved. I'd

> like to
> > know how to clear it out and start from scratch with the program.

> Why not remove it and replace it with this.
> Winsecure-IT is similar to the builtin lock feature of Windows
> NT/2K/XP, however developed for Windows 95/98/ME.
>
> It is to be used much like you would use a passwordenabled

screensaver
> under Win9x, just without all the hassle.
>
> http://www.sguft.com

Forgot the most important part. It works great and is free.
JD

Andrew H. Carter (Applied ROT 17 Left, for Email do 17 Right)

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:27:40 GMT, trader-of-some-jacks
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In 2001, I downloaded and installed on my Windows 98 machine a nice
>simple freeware password lock for my Windows 98 machine. That program,
>Protector Win 3 Deluxe, can be read about and downloaded from
>http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/gr.../protector.htm
>
>The software worked fine on my machine (I got it to keep my then very
>young kids from messing with the computer and screwing it up), then I
>pretty much stopped using it last year, as the kids were older and more
>responsible.
>
>A few months ago, I used it, and I changed the password to something
>different. Although I'm positive that I changed the password back to
>the same thing it had always been later that day, I now can't get the
>program to unlock. Thank goodness, I *don't* have it set up to launch
>on startup!
>
>Using control panel:add/remove programs, I've uninstalled the software,
>then downloaded and reinstalled it again from
>http://www.angelfire.com/extreme2/gr.../protector.htm (my version I'd
>had before was the same version downloadable now).
>
>The program comes with no documentation. The web site I reference says
>to, upon launching the program, leave password blank and click on
>"options" to set the password. But that doesn't work for me. The
>program says that I've entered an incorrect password if I leave password
>blank.
>
>Can someone troubleshoot this for me? Obviously, somewhere in my
>system, maybe the registry, there's a password being saved. I'd like to
>know how to clear it out and start from scratch with the program.

Check the registry or for any hidden INI files for
references to the program, my guess for good places to
check:

C:\Program Files (when you uninstall the program, delete the
folder as well.)

C:\Windows (Check there for any INIs associated with the
program and delete)

It might be stored in the C:\Windows\*.PWL (PassWord List)
file where * represents the user.

Check the registry for the applicaton and once it is
uninstalled delete the keys for it,

A good registry cleaner may help.

--
Sincerely, | () ()