Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Jerky playback on music

Jerky playback on music

Drummerboy

I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and breaks up
especially when viewing web pages...........its worse if I use Windows Media
Player.
Its like there isn't enough memory to cope with the free flowing playback.
I have plenty of memory (512MB), a AMD Athlon XP2200+ processor and NVIDIA
Gforce FX5200 graphics card and broadband connection.
Is it possible for me to tweak the memory that is allocated to music
playback.

ICee

Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam wrote:
> I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
> I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and
> breaks up especially when viewing web pages...........its worse if I
> use Windows Media Player.
> Its like there isn't enough memory to cope with the free flowing
> playback. I have plenty of memory (512MB), a AMD Athlon XP2200+
> processor and NVIDIA Gforce FX5200 graphics card and broadband
> connection.
> Is it possible for me to tweak the memory that is allocated to music
> playback.

What motherboard do you have? Does it have a VIA chipset?

Drummerboy

Asis motherboard.........dont know about VIA.

"ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam wrote:
> > I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
> > I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and
> > breaks up especially when viewing web pages...........its worse if I
> > use Windows Media Player.
> > Its like there isn't enough memory to cope with the free flowing
> > playback. I have plenty of memory (512MB), a AMD Athlon XP2200+
> > processor and NVIDIA Gforce FX5200 graphics card and broadband
> > connection.
> > Is it possible for me to tweak the memory that is allocated to music
> > playback.

> What motherboard do you have? Does it have a VIA chipset?

ICee

Asus make a lot of motherboards. Which model is it? If you're not
sure, run Belarc Advisor; it will give you info on hardware.

Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam wrote:
> Asis motherboard.........dont know about VIA.
>

> "ICee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam wrote:
>>> I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
>>> I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and
>>> breaks up especially when viewing web pages...........its worse if I
>>> use Windows Media Player.
>>> Its like there isn't enough memory to cope with the free flowing
>>> playback. I have plenty of memory (512MB), a AMD Athlon XP2200+
>>> processor and NVIDIA Gforce FX5200 graphics card and broadband
>>> connection.
>>> Is it possible for me to tweak the memory that is allocated to music
>>> playback.

>> What motherboard do you have? Does it have a VIA chipset?

David Matthew Wood

> I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
> I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and breaks up
> especially when viewing web pages...........its worse if I use Windows Media
> Player.
> Its like there isn't enough memory to cope with the free flowing playback.
> I have plenty of memory (512MB), a AMD Athlon XP2200+ processor and NVIDIA
> Gforce FX5200 graphics card and broadband connection.
> Is it possible for me to tweak the memory that is allocated to music
> playback.

What operating system? Are chipset and soundcard drivers up to date?

Drummerboy

Asis motherboard........drivers up tp date as well.

"David Matthew Wood" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
> > I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and breaks

up
> > especially when viewing web pages...........its worse if I use Windows

Media
> > Player.
> > Its like there isn't enough memory to cope with the free flowing

playback.
> > I have plenty of memory (512MB), a AMD Athlon XP2200+ processor and

NVIDIA
> > Gforce FX5200 graphics card and broadband connection.
> > Is it possible for me to tweak the memory that is allocated to music
> > playback.

> What operating system? Are chipset and soundcard drivers up to date?

David Matthew Wood

> Asis motherboard........drivers up tp date as well.

And the operating system is.........

Me

Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam wrote:

> I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
> I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and
> breaks up especially when viewing web pages

One of Winamp's preferences is to set its process priority. Make
sure it's set to High (but not Realtime) and this may fix it.

Drummerboy

Can you help me locate this setting as I cannot find it within my version of
Winamp which is 2.91.

"Me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam wrote:
>
> > I need some advice on how to sort out this annoying problem.
> > I listen to music using Winamp but the playback is all jerky and
> > breaks up especially when viewing web pages

> One of Winamp's preferences is to set its process priority. Make
> sure it's set to High (but not Realtime) and this may fix it.

Me

Drummerboy" <steve.wicks@"nospam wrote:

> Can you help me locate this setting as I cannot find it within my
> version of Winamp which is 2.91.

I'm using v2.65 so perhaps it's changed... but in v2.65 you:

(1) Press CTRL+P to open preferences.
(2) Click "Options" in the left-hand pane's tree view.
(3) At the bottom in the right-hand pane is "Process priority class",
which is set to Normal by default... so slide it to High.

This makes Winamp get a bit more CPU power than most other apps,
which stopped the skipping and jerky playback for me.

Jerky DVD Playback News Groups Computer Support 5 07-04-2007 05:19 PM
F--k Creative Technlogy Ltd for their stinky diarrhea kakaa foam of sample playback MIDI synths. I want Creative Music Synth [220] Radium Computer Information 0 01-28-2007 01:21 AM
slow and Jerky scrolling in IE ethanlifka@yahoo.com HTML 5 03-08-2006 06:58 AM
Jerky scrolling? John Firefox 2 11-13-2004 06:49 PM
Jerky scrolling Internet Explorer Drummerboy Computer Support 6 08-31-2003 07:45 AM

Advertisments