Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > DLink Wireless Access Point Problem

DLink Wireless Access Point Problem

Matt

Hi,
I've got this bizarre issue....

I have a D-Link 614+ access point. when I have it at my house (on DSL)
it is soooooo slow. When I bring it into work and hook it up to the
network here it is fine. The issue is not my DSL at home as if I
disconnect the dlink I can fine speeds. Any ideas as to what the
issue is, or could be?

~ Matt

Sparky Polastri

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> I've got this bizarre issue....
>
> I have a D-Link 614+ access point. when I have it at my house (on DSL)
> it is soooooo slow. When I bring it into work and hook it up to the
> network here it is fine. The issue is not my DSL at home as if I
> disconnect the dlink I can fine speeds. Any ideas as to what the
> issue is, or could be?
>
> ~ Matt

Did you try swapping out all the cables? Could be a bad cable there.

Are you SURE your PC is clean of virus, spyware and crap and has a healthy
TCP/IP stack? Have you been "tweaking" anything in the registry?

Otherwise, it's probably electro-magnetic interferance.

Something in your house (or that location in the house) is dicking up the
inner workings of the router.

Try:

- moving it away from the power brick
- moving it away from the wall
- moving it away from your monitor (especially if it is a CRT)
- etc.

Also, though they do not make much heat, they aren't particualarly heat
tolerant, make sure it is not in a too hot place (i.e. your computer exhaust
fan is blowing on it)

Alan G

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:09:32 -0400, Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>I've got this bizarre issue....
>
>I have a D-Link 614+ access point. when I have it at my house (on DSL)
>it is soooooo slow. When I bring it into work and hook it up to the
>network here it is fine. The issue is not my DSL at home as if I
>disconnect the dlink I can fine speeds. Any ideas as to what the
>issue is, or could be?
>
>~ Matt

http://support.dlink.com/SupportFAQ/...l=DWL%2D1000AP

its general so it applies to yours

Matt

Alan G wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:09:32 -0400, Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>I've got this bizarre issue....
>>
>>I have a D-Link 614+ access point. when I have it at my house (on DSL)
>>it is soooooo slow. When I bring it into work and hook it up to the
>>network here it is fine. The issue is not my DSL at home as if I
>>disconnect the dlink I can fine speeds. Any ideas as to what the
>>issue is, or could be?
>>
>>~ Matt

> http://support.dlink.com/SupportFAQ/...l=DWL%2D1000AP
>
> its general so it applies to yours

Er what exactly am I looking at? I've gone through the FAQ for my
model.. was there something specific you were trying to show me?

Alan G

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 12:03:55 -0400, Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Alan G wrote:
>> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:09:32 -0400, Matt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>I've got this bizarre issue....
>>>
>>>I have a D-Link 614+ access point. when I have it at my house (on DSL)
>>>it is soooooo slow. When I bring it into work and hook it up to the
>>>network here it is fine. The issue is not my DSL at home as if I
>>>disconnect the dlink I can fine speeds. Any ideas as to what the
>>>issue is, or could be?
>>>
>>>~ Matt

>> http://support.dlink.com/SupportFAQ/...l=DWL%2D1000AP
>>
>> its general so it applies to yours

>Er what exactly am I looking at? I've gone through the FAQ for my
>model.. was there something specific you were trying to show me?

Sorry. Thought the url would put you on it.
Click on common problems/ wireless interference.

Gives general help on possible problems with wireless kit. I had a
fault caused by a cordless phone being used in the area. Something I
hadn't considered until I read this.