Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help with downloading ...

Help with downloading ...

Shawn C

Hi there,

I need some help. I've been downloading music from news groups. When I'm
done i don't have all of the parts of the songs and there are large gaps in
the music...I am pretty sure there is a way to fix it, I just don't know how
or where to look for more help...Thanks so much

Unk

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:13:10 GMT, "Shawn C" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I need some help. I've been downloading music from news groups. When I'm
>done i don't have all of the parts of the songs and there are large gaps in
>the music...I am pretty sure there is a way to fix it, I just don't know how
>or where to look for more help...Thanks so much
>
>(E-Mail Removed)

Par files are used to rebuild missing parts of files. If there were no par
files included, then you're out of luck. Either ask for a repost, or get a
better news server.

Smart Par
http://www.disc-chord.com/smartpar/
http://www.disc-chord.com/smartpar/info.html
http://ice.prohosting.com/smartpar/r...PAR_0.11d1.zip
http://www.geocities.com/smartpar_1/smartpar.zip

SmartPar Tutoria
http://www.slyck.com/smartpar.php
http://www.slyck.com/ng.php?page=6
http://www.smr-usenet.com/tutor/smartpar.shtml
SmartPar Tutorial File (Download)
http://www.smr-usenet.com/download/smartpar.chm

Par2 files require Quickpar.
http://www.pbclements.co.uk/QuickPar/

FSRaid is a *much* better program for PARs.
http://www.fluidstudios.com/fsraid.html

°Mike°

Courtesy of gangle:
----------------------

To assemble a multi-part post using Outlook Express,
click part 1, then, while holding down the Ctrl key,
click each of the remaining parts. When you have
highlighted the last part, Right click and choose
"Combine and Decode." Make sure all parts are in
order in the window that pops up, then click "OK."
When all parts have downloaded and been decoded,
a window will appear with the File Icon in the
bottom left corner (OE4) or in the "Attach"
line (OE5 & 6). Right click on the icon, choose
"save as" and, within the browser window that
appears, choose "Desktop" as the place to initially
save it. If you want to keep it, you can later CUT and
PASTE it from Desktop to any folder you want.

IMPORTANT NOTE: In OE4 it is possible to download
a multi-part binary while simultaneously reading or
posting to other NGs, or reading/sending email -- But:
in the "upgraded" OE5 & 6, downloading a multi-part file
makes the program UNUSABLE for most other functions
while the process goes on; so, if you frequently want to
download multi-part binary files, it's more practical
to use a dedicated news reading and posting program,
such as Agent ("Full" Agent @ $29 -- NOT Free Agent):
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php
or Xnews (free):
http://xnews.newsguy.com/
or Gravity (free):
http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tba...ty/start1.html
for downloading binaries.
Also, for $35, there is Newsbin, which is strictly
for downloading binaries:
http://www.newsbin.com/ .
You could still use OE5 or 6 as an email program
and to view/post to text-only NGs, while using one of
the above programs to retrieve binaries.

yEnc is a type of binary to text encoding that has much
less "overhead" than Uuencoded files.
Note: OE does not internally decode yEnc messages.
You must use a third-party program to acheive this,
the easiest being yProxy:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?X15D24D96

Again, I suggest that, for binaries, it would be more
practical to just switch to one of the dedicated newsreaders
mentioned above, which all handle yEnc internally.

RAR files are (usually) large multimedia type of files (.avi, .mpg,
..mov, .rm, etc.) that have been archived and split into
parts. You need WinRar to reassemble the archive and
decompress it. http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm
(shareware, but always usable, even after the trial period).

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 19:13:10 GMT, in
<a3VKc.49382$(E-Mail Removed)>
Shawn C scrawled:

--