Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > SAMBA SERVER: enable WRITE (using WEBMIN)

SAMBA SERVER: enable WRITE (using WEBMIN)

Kenny

I am a complete newbie! I dont know how to write scripts....
Perhaps I could manually edit the SMB.CONF file if I knew what exactly I
have to change....but since I dont know much about configuring things in
linux I installe WEBMIN that gives a web based interface for changing
various parameters.
I have installed mandrake 9.1 and enabled the samba server, using WEBMIN I
was able to create a shared folder so that my WINDOWS computer can see and
read files. However I cannot WRITE files from the windows machine into that
folder. I think I have enabled WRITE by using WEBMIN... but its not working.

I have no clue on what to do next.....

I think I can log in as guest... can guest write files? Perhaps that is the
problem....

PLEASE HELP!

_____________
Kenny S
http://www.computerboom.net
FREE programs and MORE!

---

Keith

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 12:07:05 +0300, Kenny <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am a complete newbie! I dont know how to write scripts....
> Perhaps I could manually edit the SMB.CONF file if I knew what exactly I
> have to change....but since I dont know much about configuring things in
> linux I installe WEBMIN that gives a web based interface for changing
> various parameters.
> I have installed mandrake 9.1 and enabled the samba server, using WEBMIN I
> was able to create a shared folder so that my WINDOWS computer can see and
> read files. However I cannot WRITE files from the windows machine into that
> folder. I think I have enabled WRITE by using WEBMIN... but its not working.
>
> I have no clue on what to do next.....

With Linux you need to read the fine manual. You will get better help in
the comp.os.linux. newswgroups or email lists for Samba.

Keith

Parko

Kenny wrote:
> I am a complete newbie! I dont know how to write scripts....
> Perhaps I could manually edit the SMB.CONF file if I knew what exactly I
> have to change....but since I dont know much about configuring things in
> linux I installe WEBMIN that gives a web based interface for changing
> various parameters.
> I have installed mandrake 9.1 and enabled the samba server, using WEBMIN I
> was able to create a shared folder so that my WINDOWS computer can see and
> read files. However I cannot WRITE files from the windows machine into that
> folder. I think I have enabled WRITE by using WEBMIN... but its not working.
>
> I have no clue on what to do next.....
>

> I think I can log in as guest... can guest write files? Perhaps that is the
> problem....
>

> PLEASE HELP!
>
> _____________
> Kenny S
> http://www.computerboom.net
> FREE programs and MORE!
>
> ---

I hope your shared folder is on a FAT32 partition, not NTFS, and
certainly not Ext3FS. If your shared folder is in /home your not going
to get very far.
http://au1.samba.org/samba/support/
http://au1.samba.org/samba/docs/
--
Parko
Registered Linux User #339345

How to enable people to pay me....(enable credit card payments in my web app) Patrick ASP .Net 1 11-10-2005 11:07 AM
IPSec + rdesktop/samba problem. =?iso-8859-2?q?Micha=B3_Iwaszko?= Cisco 8 02-03-2005 08:38 AM
how to get OSx to write to a samba share? thing NZ Computing 5 08-17-2004 05:17 AM
Samba PDC and PIX Firewall Mirek Cisco 0 02-19-2004 02:25 PM
Logging on a Samba PDC over Cisco Router Raffi Cisco 4 02-06-2004 07:35 PM

Advertisments