Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't reconfigure Netgear router after modem change

Can't reconfigure Netgear router after modem change

Jeff

I've about given up since I've tried everything I can think of. My ISP
won't support the router, and I'm still waiting for Netgear to reply to my
request for technical assistance.

I have a Netgear MR814v2 router for firewall protection. My OS is Win XP
Pro. And not that it matters, but my ISP is Comcast.

Recently I was having frequent connectivity problems over my cable
connection. I thought it was the ISP's problem until I eventually called
and found out that there had been no service interruptions in my area. A
Comcast Tech rep who came out said the problem was my modem (a Toshiba
PCX1100U). Recently I had bought a new D-Link DCM-200 cable modem because
it was only $20 after rebate, and I wanted a backup. So the Tech rep from
Comcast and I hooked up my backup modem, and after calling Comcast to give
them the MAC address of the new modem, my connection was established. The
tech rep and I tried to get the router to work in the connection without
luck. We seemed to have all of the neccessary information: IP address,
Subnet mask, Default gateway, DNS servers. In Network connections the OS
was set for DHCP address assignment. But I cannot get the router to work.
The connection is fine without the router. I've tried spoofing the MAC to
both the computer network interface MAC and to the cable modem MAC, but
neither of these options has helped. I've tried setting the router to get
the IP address dynamically from the ISP without luck. I tried getting tech
support from Netgear on the phone, but by the time the tech rep was done
feeding me instructions, not only could I not ping the router, but when I
took the router out of the path I couldn't connect to the internet anymore.
It took a little while but eventually I thought to use System Restore to go
back a day and my connection was restored.

Does anybody have any advice? Netgear Tech support is somewhere between
incompetent and nonexistent.

Duane Arnold

"Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:tOMJc.103407$Oq2.21489@attbi_s52:

> I've about given up since I've tried everything I can think of. My
> ISP won't support the router, and I'm still waiting for Netgear to
> reply to my request for technical assistance.
>
> I have a Netgear MR814v2 router for firewall protection. My OS is Win
> XP Pro. And not that it matters, but my ISP is Comcast.
>
> Recently I was having frequent connectivity problems over my cable
> connection. I thought it was the ISP's problem until I eventually
> called and found out that there had been no service interruptions in
> my area. A Comcast Tech rep who came out said the problem was my
> modem (a Toshiba PCX1100U). Recently I had bought a new D-Link
> DCM-200 cable modem because it was only $20 after rebate, and I wanted
> a backup. So the Tech rep from Comcast and I hooked up my backup
> modem, and after calling Comcast to give them the MAC address of the
> new modem, my connection was established. The tech rep and I tried to
> get the router to work in the connection without luck. We seemed to
> have all of the neccessary information: IP address, Subnet mask,
> Default gateway, DNS servers. In Network connections the OS was set
> for DHCP address assignment. But I cannot get the router to work. The
> connection is fine without the router. I've tried spoofing the MAC to
> both the computer network interface MAC and to the cable modem MAC,
> but neither of these options has helped. I've tried setting the
> router to get the IP address dynamically from the ISP without luck. I
> tried getting tech support from Netgear on the phone, but by the time
> the tech rep was done feeding me instructions, not only could I not
> ping the router, but when I took the router out of the path I couldn't
> connect to the internet anymore. It took a little while but eventually
> I thought to use System Restore to go back a day and my connection was
> restored.
>
> Does anybody have any advice? Netgear Tech support is somewhere
> between incompetent and nonexistent.

When you plug the router backup, can you ping the computers on the LAN?

What IP(s) are being assigned to the computers when they are requesting a
DHCP IP from the router?

Have you tried using one of the router's static IP(s)?

From what I understand, Comcast is not an ISP that looks at the MAC of
the second device behind the modem and no MAC spoofing with the router is
required for the connection to work.

Have you tried doing a hard reset of the router? Maybe, it's still locked
in on the old modem in some manner and needs to be reset to its factory
default settings before connecting it to the new modem.

Are you sure that the router has not become defective in some manner?

Duane

Jeff

I'm just using the router as a firewall for NAT protection - there is no
LAN.

Comcast only uses static IPs on their cable network (don't ask why - I don't
know).

And I have done a hard reset of the router without any positive result.

And I don't think the router is the problem. When I was having connectivity
problems with my Toshiba modem, the cable light would go out for long
periods along with the activity light. Occasionally one of them would flash
intermittently, perhaps indicating that I had an RF carrier signal. I don't
know that a fault in the router could cause the modem to show an abscence of
an RF signal. I haven't tried the Toshiba modem without the router. But
from what Comcast told me when I was switching modems, they are detecting my
MAC to connect me to the internet, and if I switch modems without notifying
them of my new MAC address I won't be able to create a connection. So
trying the Toshiba modem again would force me to call Comcast and switch MAC
addresses, and then do it again if I had to switch back again to the D-Link
modem.

news:Xns9528398916D2Bnotmenotmecom@204.127.204.17. ..
> "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:tOMJc.103407$Oq2.21489@attbi_s52:
>
> > I've about given up since I've tried everything I can think of. My
> > ISP won't support the router, and I'm still waiting for Netgear to
> > reply to my request for technical assistance.
> >
> > I have a Netgear MR814v2 router for firewall protection. My OS is Win
> > XP Pro. And not that it matters, but my ISP is Comcast.
> >
> > Recently I was having frequent connectivity problems over my cable
> > connection. I thought it was the ISP's problem until I eventually
> > called and found out that there had been no service interruptions in
> > my area. A Comcast Tech rep who came out said the problem was my
> > modem (a Toshiba PCX1100U). Recently I had bought a new D-Link
> > DCM-200 cable modem because it was only $20 after rebate, and I wanted
> > a backup. So the Tech rep from Comcast and I hooked up my backup
> > modem, and after calling Comcast to give them the MAC address of the
> > new modem, my connection was established. The tech rep and I tried to
> > get the router to work in the connection without luck. We seemed to
> > have all of the neccessary information: IP address, Subnet mask,
> > Default gateway, DNS servers. In Network connections the OS was set
> > for DHCP address assignment. But I cannot get the router to work. The
> > connection is fine without the router. I've tried spoofing the MAC to
> > both the computer network interface MAC and to the cable modem MAC,
> > but neither of these options has helped. I've tried setting the
> > router to get the IP address dynamically from the ISP without luck. I
> > tried getting tech support from Netgear on the phone, but by the time
> > the tech rep was done feeding me instructions, not only could I not
> > ping the router, but when I took the router out of the path I couldn't
> > connect to the internet anymore. It took a little while but eventually
> > I thought to use System Restore to go back a day and my connection was
> > restored.
> >
> > Does anybody have any advice? Netgear Tech support is somewhere
> > between incompetent and nonexistent.

> When you plug the router backup, can you ping the computers on the LAN?
>
> What IP(s) are being assigned to the computers when they are requesting a
> DHCP IP from the router?
>
> Have you tried using one of the router's static IP(s)?
>
> From what I understand, Comcast is not an ISP that looks at the MAC of
> the second device behind the modem and no MAC spoofing with the router is
> required for the connection to work.
>
> Have you tried doing a hard reset of the router? Maybe, it's still locked
> in on the old modem in some manner and needs to be reset to its factory
> default settings before connecting it to the new modem.
>
> Are you sure that the router has not become defective in some manner?
>
> Duane

Jbob

> I'm just using the router as a firewall for NAT protection - there is no
> LAN.
>
> Comcast only uses static IPs on their cable network (don't ask why - I

don't
> know).
>
> And I have done a hard reset of the router without any positive result.
>
> And I don't think the router is the problem. When I was having

connectivity
> problems with my Toshiba modem, the cable light would go out for long
> periods along with the activity light. Occasionally one of them would

flash
> intermittently, perhaps indicating that I had an RF carrier signal. I

don't
> know that a fault in the router could cause the modem to show an abscence

of
> an RF signal. I haven't tried the Toshiba modem without the router. But
> from what Comcast told me when I was switching modems, they are detecting

my
> MAC to connect me to the internet, and if I switch modems without

notifying
> them of my new MAC address I won't be able to create a connection. So
> trying the Toshiba modem again would force me to call Comcast and switch

MAC
> addresses, and then do it again if I had to switch back again to the

D-Link
> modem.

First of all there is a LAN side. That is the side your computer is on.
Even if it is only one computer that is still a LAN. The WAN side is the
inbound side to the router. I am on Comcast as well. Comcast issues the IP
based on MAC address of first device the modem see's which typically is the
NIC in the computer. That's why you use that NIC MAC to clone into the
router not the cable modems. For me Comcast will issue me a new IP is I
fail to change my router's MAC address. You said you tried DHCP on router
but that failed. Did you check router pages to see if it had aquired an IP
address from your ISP? The router could have been working but you are just
having trouble connecting with your computer.

Try this to see if it helps:

1. With router connected insure you have all the router settings correct
including MAC cloning.
2. After all connections are established check to see if router has gotten
an IP address from ISP. Try this using DHCP. Be advised to try a DHCP
release/renew on the router. Reverify IP address and/or lease time.
3. If step 2 is successful then perform a DHCP release/renew on computer.
ipconfig / release ipconfig renew
4. If the above steps fail then turn off cable modem and router for an
extended period of time. At least one hour but perhaps as long a one day.
Turn equipment back on and retry steps again.

If these steps fail then perhaps either your ISP has issues or there could
be some compatibility issues bwtween modem and router.

kony

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:00:09 GMT, "Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've about given up since I've tried everything I can think of. My ISP
>won't support the router, and I'm still waiting for Netgear to reply to my
>request for technical assistance.
>
>I have a Netgear MR814v2 router for firewall protection. My OS is Win XP
>Pro. And not that it matters, but my ISP is Comcast.
>
>Recently I was having frequent connectivity problems over my cable
>connection. I thought it was the ISP's problem until I eventually called
>and found out that there had been no service interruptions in my area.

Which basically means nothing. Consider that when someone calls
with a problem and is told that there are "no service
interruptions", if they DO have a service interruption, the tech
on the phone just assumes "user error, not our fault" when they
don't really know. A tech should be able to see if you're
(moden) is connected to the network. If they can't tell you even
that it's time to ask for next tier of support. If you need to
ask for a manager, once someone comes on the phone, you even have
to ASK them if they are indeed a manager, else you may just get
handed off to someone else..

>Comcast Tech rep who came out said the problem was my modem (a Toshiba
>PCX1100U). Recently I had bought a new D-Link DCM-200 cable modem because
>it was only $20 after rebate, and I wanted a backup. So the Tech rep from
>Comcast and I hooked up my backup modem, and after calling Comcast to give
>them the MAC address of the new modem, my connection was established.

OK, this is a confirmed working modem, keep using it while
reconfiguring the router, not switching back and forth with the
modems again.

>The
>tech rep and I tried to get the router to work in the connection without
>luck. We seemed to have all of the neccessary information: IP address,
>Subnet mask, Default gateway, DNS servers.

Subnet of the WAN or LAN? LAN is typically 255.255.255.0, but
WAN may be different. Gateway needs be correct but forget about
DNS server and just ping IP addresses on the WWW instead of
Domain names.

>In Network connections the OS
>was set for DHCP address assignment. But I cannot get the router to work.

Can you ping the router from the PC?

>The connection is fine without the router. I've tried spoofing the MAC to
>both the computer network interface MAC and to the cable modem MAC, but
>neither of these options has helped.

Do not clone the router's MAC to be same as any other connected
device... not the PC, not the modem. _IF_ you told Comcast the
MAC of your PC's network card as a requirement for service then
you either need to tell them switch that to the MAC of the
router, or use a different network card and clone the PC network
card's MAC to the router (assign router the MAC assigned to the
network card you have removed and aren't using anymore).

Check any connection lights for link between router and modem.
After Comcast tech tells you they can or can't see your modem (a
tech that has the ability to check that), have someone try to
ping the router over the internet. Of course if the router has a
setting to disregard pings, that setting should be disabled.
Basically you need to go step by step testing links between each
part of the chain till you find where it stops.

opening a command prompt window on the PC (type "cmd" in windows
2K/XP run box) and do a traceroute...

"tracert 210.120.128.117"

(or substitute any IP you want, know is a system with active
internet connection)

You should see (after a few seconds) a list of times and
addresses. First address should be the router, usually default
for router is 192.168.0.1. If you see _any_ IP addresses after
the router, your router is connected properly to the Comcast
equipment. If you see only the router IP, the router to modem is
the problem. If you can't even see the router IP, then the PC's
TCP/IP settings are not correct. I"m probably leaving out a few
details but it's easier to work backwards and find out exactly
what is and isn't working rather than trying to speculate every
potential issue.

>I've tried setting the router to get
>the IP address dynamically from the ISP without luck.

Does Comcast support doing that?
What happens when you set it to do that?
On the router's configuration menus, does it show it succeeded in
retreiving that info?

>I tried getting tech
>support from Netgear on the phone, but by the time the tech rep was done
>feeding me instructions, not only could I not ping the router, but when I
>took the router out of the path I couldn't connect to the internet anymore.
>It took a little while but eventually I thought to use System Restore to go
>back a day and my connection was restored.
>
>Does anybody have any advice? Netgear Tech support is somewhere between
>incompetent and nonexistent.

Basically what you need to do is pretend the router IS the PC.
Whatever settings Comcast instructed to set on your PC (beyond
merely installing TCP/IP and binding it to the network adapter)
are settings that should be configured on the router, wherever
possible. Then with router as DHCP server, after PC boots it
should show it's IP address as one assigned by router, in
addition to Subnet mask, gateway. At that point, try pinging
things from the PC in order- Ping yourself (the PC's IP
address), then router, then address I listed above in tracert
example.

Jim Berwick

"Jeff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:%TPJc.68915$WX.65205@attbi_s51:

> Comcast only uses static IPs on their cable network (don't ask why - I
> don't know).

This is entirely not true. I have been a comcast customer since they were
Comcast@Home and they have /always/ handed out dynamic IPs

Kaveman

Actually comcast uses dynamic addresses.

Leythos

says...
> Actually comcast uses dynamic addresses.

I agree, while the IP may not change for months, if you change the MAC
of the connecting device, your IP will change.

(E-Mail Removed)
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

Jim Berwick

Leythos <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:MPG.1b61f86befa0317598a7aa@news-
server.columbus.rr.com:

> I agree, while the IP may not change for months, if you change the MAC
> of the connecting device, your IP will change.

Exactly. It is dynamic in that it is DHCP assigned. Just because you
always get the same address doesn't mean you should just statically assign
it.

Jeff

The router has two settings, Use the following IP Address, and Obtain IP
Address dynamically from ISP. I've tried both, using both my NIC MAC
address and my Modem MAC address. Each time I did turn off the modem and
router in between trials for five minutes as had been suggested to me a
longtime ago when I was first installing the router. And I have used the
router reset button to clear all settings so I could be sure I was starting
fresh. When I connect the router in the network I can't ping anything
(except maybe the router itself).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...