Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WebSite Data Mining

WebSite Data Mining

[G]rumpy [O]ld [D]uffer

In a nut-shell I want to pull-together Odds data for various events
(i.e. Tennis, Football, Snooker) from various Bookmaker/Betting
Exchange sites and create a personal webpage which shows the Odds that
are higher at a Bookmaker than they are at a Betting Exchange, and
this needs to be rapidly analysed as the Odds are constantly changing.

I've looked at getting a Web Designer to do this but with quoted
prices of around 6,000, the costs are beyond me.

Is there any off-the-shelf software that will do the Data Mining for
me?
Is there any useful Tutorials that I could learn from, bearing-in-mind
my limits of creating websites are at the WYSIWYG Frontpage stage?
What special software application would I need?
Would I need to have permission to access the Bookmakers databases?

Ian D

why?

On 15 Jul 2004 02:06:05 -0700, [G]rumpy [O]ld [D]uffer wrote:

>In a nut-shell I want to pull-together Odds data for various events
>(i.e. Tennis, Football, Snooker) from various Bookmaker/Betting
>Exchange sites and create a personal webpage which shows the Odds that
>are higher at a Bookmaker than they are at a Betting Exchange, and
>this needs to be rapidly analysed as the Odds are constantly changing.
>
>I've looked at getting a Web Designer to do this but with quoted
>prices of around 6,000, the costs are beyond me.
>
>Is there any off-the-shelf software that will do the Data Mining for
>me?

That's what XML/RSS does quite well, portable data format and data
feeds.
http://www.w3schools.com/xml/default.asp
http://www.webreference.com/authorin...xml/rss/intro/

>Is there any useful Tutorials that I could learn from, bearing-in-mind
>my limits of creating websites are at the WYSIWYG Frontpage stage?

Then don't even bother starting a project like that. Start off with
something smaller, setup your own database (MS Access or SQL) and learn
how to read data from that. There are lots of tutorials to be found, try
www.google.com

>What special software application would I need?

Perl or another scripting language (ASP/PHP).

>Would I need to have permission to access the Bookmakers databases?

What do you think?

How would you even be able to access thier DB, most likely thier webpage
is scripted (dynamic) looking at a backend DB with restricted
permissions, maybe not even accessable via the Internet. On the webpage
all you are seeing is the result of a calculation not the original data
(usually).

If the webpage is well designed and it's easy to identify the event/odds
content it's failry easy in Perl to suck down a page , look for the data
(using a regex)
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/helpsheets/regex.html
and extract it and chuck it back out as a new page.

>Ian D

Me

Website data-mining. Coogan Python 5 08-04-2007 06:07 PM
Clustering (Data Mining) framework for java tobi Java 1 06-02-2005 03:35 PM
Data Mining Source Code In VB.NET or C# http://www.visual-basic-data-mining.net/forum ASP .Net 0 09-08-2004 07:24 AM
Data Mining Rajesh Birelly ASP .Net 0 06-01-2004 08:32 AM
Data Mining Web Pages nirajranka@rediffmail.com ASP .Net 0 06-01-2004 07:15 AM

Advertisments