Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Cannot download program with IE6

Cannot download program with IE6

Julie P.

Hi, I'm having a bizarre problem with IE6 on Windows XP Home. I am trying to
go to this page to download a program:

http://download.endicia.com/setupV4.exe

and I keep getting a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error no matter what I do,
including clearing cache and cookies and restarting.

With Netscape 7.1 I have no problem and can download the program (although I
cannot open the download from the webpage, but rather have to save it to
disk first, since Netscape does not know what application to use). But this
still irritates me that I cannot do it with IE6 even though everyone else I
have spoken to can. I want to fix this IE problem.

I suspect the problem is with the Google Toolbar pop-up blocker or my IE
security settings (set to Default/Medium). Or maybe Spyware Blaster or
SpyBot? I know, these latter two block only bad stuff...

Any ideas? Going to bed now, but will check back later.

Julie

Toolman Tim

"Julie P." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| Hi, I'm having a bizarre problem with IE6 on Windows XP Home. I am
>| trying to go to this page to download a program:
>|
>| http://download.endicia.com/setupV4.exe
>|
>| and I keep getting a "Page Cannot Be Displayed" error no matter what
>| I do, including clearing cache and cookies and restarting.
>|
>| With Netscape 7.1 I have no problem and can download the program
>| (although I cannot open the download from the webpage, but rather
>| have to save it to disk first, since Netscape does not know what
>| application to use). But this still irritates me that I cannot do it
>| with IE6 even though everyone else I have spoken to can. I want to
>| fix this IE problem.
>|
>| I suspect the problem is with the Google Toolbar pop-up blocker or
>| my IE security settings (set to Default/Medium). Or maybe Spyware
>| Blaster or SpyBot? I know, these latter two block only bad stuff...
>|

>| Any ideas? Going to bed now, but will check back later.
>|
>| Julie

Well, it's an interesting thing, that is!

When I clicked on the link in your post, the download attempted to begin
immediately - the dialog box came right up. But when I typed that address
into IE, I had the same situation you had. So, I turned off Google's popup
blocker, and the download dialog did come up like it was supposed to. So,
obviously, at some level, Google thinks it's a popup. But then, *after* I
re-enabled the Google popup blocker, it now still starts the download like
it was supposed to. Go figure <g>

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~