Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Re: floating point error in file conversions

Re: floating point error in file conversions

oberon@oby.net

>Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> when using tmpgenc to convert avi's and wmv's to vcd-capable mpg's, i get
>> occasional floating point file errors in the conversions and they will
>> fail. several other programs fail on the same files. are these special
>> format avi's or wmv's?

>Floating point file errors, I have never heard of that. I have heard of
>floating point errors in a program trying to do some kind of math equation
>in a floating point calculation. It sounds like an unhandled program error
>in a badly written program. Maybe, you should get in touch with the maker
>of the product concerning the issue.

the odd thing is that the wmv's play fine with wmp9 and the avi's play
fine with divx but converting them over to vcd gives me that error and
exits the program. tmpgenc is an open source program, i think. i tried a
couple of others like asf converter for the wmv's and avi converter by
cucusoft and the results were the same error. strange!

ICee

>> Duane Arnold <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> when using tmpgenc to convert avi's and wmv's to vcd-capable mpg's,
>>> i get occasional floating point file errors in the conversions and
>>> they will fail. several other programs fail on the same files. are
>>> these special format avi's or wmv's?

>> Floating point file errors, I have never heard of that. I have heard
>> of floating point errors in a program trying to do some kind of math
>> equation in a floating point calculation. It sounds like an
>> unhandled program error in a badly written program. Maybe, you
>> should get in touch with the maker of the product concerning the
>> issue.

> the odd thing is that the wmv's play fine with wmp9 and the avi's play
> fine with divx but converting them over to vcd gives me that error and
> exits the program. tmpgenc is an open source program, i think. i
> tried a couple of others like asf converter for the wmv's and avi
> converter by cucusoft and the results were the same error. strange!

It takes very little computing power to play music, but a great deal of
power to encode files. You probably have a hardware problem that shows
up under heavy stress. Either memory, CPU, or excess heat. Reseat the
memory, all cables, and clean out any dust, especially in the CPU
heatsink. Make sure all the fans are running, especially the one on the
CPU.
If you still have problems, run a memory diagnostic like Memtest86
and/or DocMemory.
www.memtest86.com
http://www.simmtester.com/PAGE/products/doc/docinfo.asp