Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > win98se hangs/reboots on startup - help

win98se hangs/reboots on startup - help

Adam Burgess

i have win98 se, recently it has started to hang on start-up just prior to
itself and runs scandisk saying i did not shut down windows correctly,
though no input from me.
any ideas what's causing this? & more importantly a fix.

configsys is at a minimum, system is virus free, no conflicts in the device
manager. useless/temp files deleted, under stable conditions scandisk &
defrag are runs on a regular basis.

thanks from adam

---

Boomer

"Adam Burgess" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> i have win98 se, recently it has started to hang on start-up
> just prior to loading the desktop, so i have to reboot the
> puter. sometimes it reboots itself and runs scandisk saying i
> did not shut down windows correctly, though no input from me.
> any ideas what's causing this? & more importantly a fix.
>
> configsys is at a minimum, system is virus free, no conflicts in
> the device manager. useless/temp files deleted, under stable
> conditions scandisk & defrag are runs on a regular basis.
>
> thanks from adam

[snip broken sig]

How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown and Startup Problems
(Including "Windows 98 Startup and Shutdown Troubleshooting Wizard"
to download.)
or
http://www.aumha.org/a/shutdown.htm

Have you scanned for viruses, trojans and spyware?

And you might want to search Microsoft.com for
"Windows 98 Second Edition Shutdown Supplement" patch.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d.../corporate.asp

Tech

Adam Burgess wrote:

> i have win98 se, recently it has started to hang on start-up just prior to
> itself and runs scandisk saying i did not shut down windows correctly,
> though no input from me.
> any ideas what's causing this? & more importantly a fix.
>
> configsys is at a minimum, system is virus free, no conflicts in the
> device manager. useless/temp files deleted, under stable conditions
> scandisk & defrag are runs on a regular basis.
>
> thanks from adam
>

> ---

Sometimes the machine will simply "age" into weirdness. If you are
possitive that you do not have viruses, try simple maintenance:

1. Boot into safe mode.
2. Delete all temp files such as *.tmp, ~.*, *.bak, et.al.
including removing old, unused programs.
3. Run scandisk
4. Run Defragmenter, making sure that you do *NOT* check the option labeled
"... Make Programs Run Faster". Somehow this ruins things.

I strongly recommend that you dowload (free) Knoppix CD. It will boot your
computer from the CD drive without making any modifications to your
existing configuration. You will be able to see if there are any hardware
issues that need to be addressed; it will also give you a glimpse of a
superv environment and an awesome operating system. When you are done,
simply remove the CD and boot back to win98.

--
__