Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Playback Notebook PC Audio With Car Cassette Adaptor?

Playback Notebook PC Audio With Car Cassette Adaptor?

xdocx

Is it possible to playback the mp3s in my Compaq Presario 2100 laptop PC
through my car sound system using the automobile cassette FM adaptor
that came with my portable CD player? I also have a DC to AC automobile
power inverter that I plan to use as a power source for the laptop. The
plan, obviously, is to be able to play back my laptop's large mp3
collection while on a long driving vacation. I know that I could just
plug it in and see what happens, but I'm afraid I might fry the laptop
onboard audio, or worse. TIA

Vince

Yes my friend you most certainly can, as this is exactly what i do. However
make certain to start with all volume levels low and experiment to find the
best balance between controlls.
Also you may be luckier than I, but I suffer from intolerable
interference from the Inverter or the power supply I walkaround this by
listening on battery then charging whilst out of my Truck. I also use
Autoroute and run my laptop this way for 12 -15 hrs a day and could not live
without it. Good Luck.and Drive Safe.
Vince
"xdocx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ganews.com...
> Is it possible to playback the mp3s in my Compaq Presario 2100 laptop PC
> through my car sound system using the automobile cassette FM adaptor
> that came with my portable CD player? I also have a DC to AC automobile
> power inverter that I plan to use as a power source for the laptop. The
> plan, obviously, is to be able to play back my laptop's large mp3
> collection while on a long driving vacation. I know that I could just
> plug it in and see what happens, but I'm afraid I might fry the laptop
> onboard audio, or worse. TIA

xdocx

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 00:10:42 +0000 (UTC), "Vince"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Yes my friend you most certainly can, as this is exactly what i do. However
>make certain to start with all volume levels low and experiment to find the
>best balance between controlls.
> Also you may be luckier than I, but I suffer from intolerable
>interference from the Inverter or the power supply I walkaround this by
>listening on battery then charging whilst out of my Truck. I also use
>Autoroute and run my laptop this way for 12 -15 hrs a day and could not live
>without it. Good Luck.and Drive Safe.
>Vince
>"xdocx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) iganews.com...
>> Is it possible to playback the mp3s in my Compaq Presario 2100 laptop PC
>> through my car sound system using the automobile cassette FM adaptor
>> that came with my portable CD player? I also have a DC to AC automobile
>> power inverter that I plan to use as a power source for the laptop. The
>> plan, obviously, is to be able to play back my laptop's large mp3
>> collection while on a long driving vacation. I know that I could just
>> plug it in and see what happens, but I'm afraid I might fry the laptop
>> onboard audio, or worse. TIA

Many thanks for the reply and the suggestions. I think that I will try
playback from the battery only and use the inverter strictly for
recharging the battery, as you do.

Toolman Tim

"xdocx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ganews.com
>| Is it possible to playback the mp3s in my Compaq Presario 2100
>| laptop PC through my car sound system using the automobile cassette
>| FM adaptor that came with my portable CD player? I also have a DC to
>| AC automobile power inverter that I plan to use as a power source
>| for the laptop. The plan, obviously, is to be able to play back my
>| laptop's large mp3 collection while on a long driving vacation. I
>| know that I could just plug it in and see what happens, but I'm
>| afraid I might fry the laptop onboard audio, or worse. TIA

Great idea...I did the same with a portable MP3 player with great results.
Plus the batteries lasted longer, and there was less risk of a laptop
nose-diving in a quick stop. Now I have a CD player in-dash that plays MP3s
on CDRWs and gives me about 7 or 8 hours on one disc before I hear anything
repeated ;o)

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

NTH

If this is the one you plug into your headphone jack on your prtable
CD player, then yes, you can plug it into your headphone jack on your
computer also. I too have the DC to AC converter. Just make sure it
supports your model. This is mostly for the plug.

I do the same as you, but I use it to play DVD's for the kids in the
back seat. Just bought a Notebook Travle Harness to hold it up.
Haven't been on a trip yet, but my 6 year old sat in the car port for
2 hours last night watching sleeping beauty.

Good luck

xdocx <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) iganews.com>...
> Is it possible to playback the mp3s in my Compaq Presario 2100 laptop PC
> through my car sound system using the automobile cassette FM adaptor
> that came with my portable CD player? I also have a DC to AC automobile
> power inverter that I plan to use as a power source for the laptop. The
> plan, obviously, is to be able to play back my laptop's large mp3
> collection while on a long driving vacation. I know that I could just
> plug it in and see what happens, but I'm afraid I might fry the laptop
> onboard audio, or worse. TIA

xdocx

In article <cd1tm1$9dg$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Yes my friend you most certainly can, as this is exactly what i do. However
> make certain to start with all volume levels low and experiment to find the
> best balance between controlls.
> Also you may be luckier than I, but I suffer from intolerable
> interference from the Inverter or the power supply I walkaround this by
> listening on battery then charging whilst out of my Truck. I also use
> Autoroute and run my laptop this way for 12 -15 hrs a day and could not live
> without it. Good Luck.and Drive Safe.
> Vince
> "xdocx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ganews.com...
> > Is it possible to playback the mp3s in my Compaq Presario 2100 laptop PC
> > through my car sound system using the automobile cassette FM adaptor
> > that came with my portable CD player? I also have a DC to AC automobile
> > power inverter that I plan to use as a power source for the laptop. The
> > plan, obviously, is to be able to play back my laptop's large mp3
> > collection while on a long driving vacation. I know that I could just
> > plug it in and see what happens, but I'm afraid I might fry the laptop
> > onboard audio, or worse. TIA

Sorry, but I forgot to ask...what is "Autoroute"?

xdocx

In article <(E-Mail Removed) ws.com>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Is it possible to playback the mp3s in my Compaq Presario 2100 laptop PC
> through my car sound system using the automobile cassette FM adaptor
> that came with my portable CD player? I also have a DC to AC automobile
> power inverter that I plan to use as a power source for the laptop. The
> plan, obviously, is to be able to play back my laptop's large mp3
> collection while on a long driving vacation. I know that I could just
> plug it in and see what happens, but I'm afraid I might fry the laptop
> onboard audio, or worse. TIA

Thanks to all who responded. I really appreciate all of your suggestions
and assurances.