Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Slowing down

Slowing down

Continental Translations

Hi all,

Recently my HP laptop which is running on Windows 98 SE has become slow.
This is because of too many programs etc on it I believe.

Anyway, I have recently uninstalled many programs and only have the basic MS
Office package as well as a few other basic things on my comp. I have also
run Toniarts Easycleaner to delete a lot of unwanted stuff. Nonetheless, the
computer is still running really slow. It is mainly when I clock on, for
example, IE and it takes about 7 seconds before it opens.

Any hints on how to speed up my comp? I have wiped most stuff off, yet it is
still drastically slower then when i first got it (and when it had more
programs on it)

I have 128MB RAM (Yes I know it's not much but it still worked faster
previously)
64% system resources free
and also have 15079MB of 165750 (FAT32) available space on C: drive.

Thanks all

Gordon

"Continental Translations" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cd10gs$juk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi all,
>
> Recently my HP laptop which is running on Windows 98 SE has become slow.
> This is because of too many programs etc on it I believe.
>
> Anyway, I have recently uninstalled many programs and only have the basic

MS
> Office package as well as a few other basic things on my comp. I have also
> run Toniarts Easycleaner to delete a lot of unwanted stuff. Nonetheless,

the
> computer is still running really slow. It is mainly when I clock on, for
> example, IE and it takes about 7 seconds before it opens.
>
> Any hints on how to speed up my comp? I have wiped most stuff off, yet it

is
> still drastically slower then when i first got it (and when it had more
> programs on it)
>
> I have 128MB RAM (Yes I know it's not much but it still worked faster
> previously)
> 64% system resources free
> and also have 15079MB of 165750 (FAT32) available space on C: drive.
>
> Thanks all

Have you emptied the Temp File folder and Temp Internet Files? Have you done
a defrag and scandisk recently?

Continental Translations

Yea, done all of them! Still seems really slow!

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Continental Translations" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> news:cd10gs$juk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Recently my HP laptop which is running on Windows 98 SE has become slow.
> > This is because of too many programs etc on it I believe.
> >
> > Anyway, I have recently uninstalled many programs and only have the

basic
> MS
> > Office package as well as a few other basic things on my comp. I have

also
> > run Toniarts Easycleaner to delete a lot of unwanted stuff. Nonetheless,

> the
> > computer is still running really slow. It is mainly when I clock on, for
> > example, IE and it takes about 7 seconds before it opens.
> >
> > Any hints on how to speed up my comp? I have wiped most stuff off, yet

it
> is
> > still drastically slower then when i first got it (and when it had more
> > programs on it)
> >
> > I have 128MB RAM (Yes I know it's not much but it still worked faster
> > previously)
> > 64% system resources free
> > and also have 15079MB of 165750 (FAT32) available space on C: drive.
> >
> > Thanks all
> >

> Have you emptied the Temp File folder and Temp Internet Files? Have you

done
> a defrag and scandisk recently?

Continental Translations

I ran Toniarts Easycleaner and ran the duplicate files feature. It listed
literally hundreds of files, however I am wary of deleting them.

Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Continental Translations" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> news:cd10gs$juk$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Recently my HP laptop which is running on Windows 98 SE has become slow.
> > This is because of too many programs etc on it I believe.
> >
> > Anyway, I have recently uninstalled many programs and only have the

basic
> MS
> > Office package as well as a few other basic things on my comp. I have

also
> > run Toniarts Easycleaner to delete a lot of unwanted stuff. Nonetheless,

> the
> > computer is still running really slow. It is mainly when I clock on, for
> > example, IE and it takes about 7 seconds before it opens.
> >
> > Any hints on how to speed up my comp? I have wiped most stuff off, yet

it
> is
> > still drastically slower then when i first got it (and when it had more
> > programs on it)
> >
> > I have 128MB RAM (Yes I know it's not much but it still worked faster
> > previously)
> > 64% system resources free
> > and also have 15079MB of 165750 (FAT32) available space on C: drive.
> >
> > Thanks all
> >

> Have you emptied the Temp File folder and Temp Internet Files? Have you

done
> a defrag and scandisk recently?

°Mike°

Do NOT remove duplicate file; don't even use that
feature. See my signature, and then download,
update and use ALL of the following -- even if
you already have them installed, UPDATE THEM NOW.
Malware changes by the day, even by the hour, so you
MUST have the latest version of removal tools:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.nu/
http://www.lavasoft.de/
Ad-Aware VX2 cleaner plug-in
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/...2cleaner.shtml
http://www.lavasoft.nu/software/plug...2cleaner.shtml
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/plug...2cleaner.shtml
IMPORTANT NOTICE:

Spyware Blaster
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)
http://doxdesk.com/parasite/CoolWebSearch.html

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:39:25 +0000 (UTC), in
<cd16od$sld$(E-Mail Removed)>
Continental Translations scrawled:

>I ran Toniarts Easycleaner and ran the duplicate files feature. It listed
>literally hundreds of files, however I am wary of deleting them.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance