Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Command line archiving (i.e., WinRAR)?

Command line archiving (i.e., WinRAR)?

fitwell

Asking for help from anyone that has successfully used the command
line RAR.EXE that comes with WinRAR <g>.

I've been able to get this to work in Windows RUN:

C:\PROGRA~1\ZIP\WINRAR~1.00B\RAR.EXE a
"D:\0-PROG~1\0-ZIPP~1.2(F\BACKUP~2\Backup- .zip"
C:\PROGRA~1\DIARY\DIARYV~1.2\DATA\*.*

(It backs up my journal program files.)

Only problem is that I get a folder structure in the zip file whereas
I need _just_ the files themselves archived.

Anyone know how to get just the files themselves archived, pls?

Thank you.

°Mike°

Don't do it from the Run box. Open a Command Prompt
window or use a batch file. In the Command Prompt
scenario, CD to the folder that stores your journal
files. Eg:

cd\
cd c:\progra~1\diary\diaryv~1.2\data
;
; Add WinRAR to the PATH -- makes it simpler
; if you want to keep the Command Prompt
; window open, and just use the simple rar
; command, without having to prefix the
; complete path.
;
PATH=%PATH%;c:\progra~1\zip\winrar~1.00b
;
; Archive the files -- I shall use a backup folder
; d:\temp as an example, to keep it simple.
;
rar a d:\temp\backup.rar *.*

-----

In the batch file scenario (example d:\temp backup
folder used again):

@ECHO OFF
CD\
CD c:\progra~1\diary\diaryv~1.2\data
c:\progra~1\zip\winrar~1.00b\rar a d:\temp\backup.rar *.*

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:27:51 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
fitwell scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

inhahe inhahe is offline
Junior Member

i think you're actually creating a .rar file there, not a .zip file. winrar just recognizes it as a .rar when you open it with winrar even though it's named with a .zip extension.

manikp manikp is offline
Junior Member

You can use the -ep option to include the specified files.

C:\PROGRA~1\ZIP\WINRAR~1.00B\RAR.EXE a
-ep "D:\0-PROG~1\0-ZIPP~1.2(F\BACKUP~2\Backup- .zip"
C:\PROGRA~1\DIARY\DIARYV~1.2\DATA\*.*