Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Notepad Refuses To Open TXT Files on 2x-Click

Notepad Refuses To Open TXT Files on 2x-Click

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

Running Windows XP Pro. Trying to find out why when I double-click a text
file, Notepad won't open the file up. I can open Notepad itself, then tell
it to open the files and it works. But I can't 2x-click a file and get it
to open in Notepad. Even right-clicking and telling it to open with Notepad
won't work. I tried downloading another version of notepad.exe from a
networked PC ... no changes.

Any ideas what happened and how to fix it?

--
Kyle

$1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
reply. Money gets faster attention ;o)

Unk

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:58:02 -0400, "Sens Fan Happy In Ohio"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Running Windows XP Pro. Trying to find out why when I double-click a text
>file, Notepad won't open the file up. I can open Notepad itself, then tell
>it to open the files and it works. But I can't 2x-click a file and get it
>to open in Notepad. Even right-clicking and telling it to open with Notepad
>won't work. I tried downloading another version of notepad.exe from a
>networked PC ... no changes.
>
>Any ideas what happened and how to fix it?

See "Restore default associations for TXT files"
Direct download: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_txt_fix.zip

Mike Robinson

Click on the "My Computer" to open it up. Go to the "tools" menu, "folder
options" menu and "file types" tab. Scroll down till you find TXT -Text
Document and single click it. At the bottom of the folder options window it
will list "TXT file opens with" - and should have Notepad listed. If not,
click on change button and select notepad.

Mike (N.Z)

"Sens Fan Happy In Ohio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40f3419a$0$76214$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Running Windows XP Pro. Trying to find out why when I double-click a text
> file, Notepad won't open the file up. I can open Notepad itself, then

tell
> it to open the files and it works. But I can't 2x-click a file and get it
> to open in Notepad. Even right-clicking and telling it to open with

Notepad
> won't work. I tried downloading another version of notepad.exe from a
> networked PC ... no changes.
>
> Any ideas what happened and how to fix it?
>
> --
> Kyle
>
> Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests of
> $1million US dollars to sensfan_luvslisa (at) yahoo (dot) ca. Change the
> obvious to the obvious. Oh, and if you must abuse or insult, don't expect

> reply. Money gets faster attention ;o)

---

Sens Fan Happy In Ohio

In news:OeOIc.7877$(E-Mail Removed), Mike Robinson
<(E-Mail Removed)> first attempted to communicate with pen, but
the writing was small, so next used sidewalk chalk, but the rain washed it
away, and then switched to spray paint and stencils but the cans exploded,
so placed fingers to keyboard for this:

> Click on the "My Computer" to open it up. Go to the "tools" menu,
> "folder options" menu and "file types" tab. Scroll down till you
> find TXT -Text Document and single click it. At the bottom of the
> folder options window it will list "TXT file opens with" - and should
> have Notepad listed. If not, click on change button and select
> notepad.

Well this almost worked ... but once there I solved the issue. I believe
you meant Windows Explorer, but anyhow ... once there I saw that Notepad was
still the correct program associated to open TXT files. But there was a
clue! The icon for Notepad was not the typical "notepad" icon but rather
one of those generic blue-border window box icons that you get when there's
no default icon associated with said EXE file. Ahhhh ... so what was wrong?
For some reason Windows (here to after referred to as WindBlows) began
thinking that the EXE files was located in C:\Windows\System32 instead of
the regular C:\Windows folder. Once I pointed it in the right place ... it
worked. So thanks!

Guess my question now would be ... any clue how this could have gotten
changed? A Virus? A piece of Spyware?