Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 2000XP/problem printing DOS program

2000XP/problem printing DOS program

AlC

Using older DOS program that reports are printed from several times a day.
Have been doing this for years, but updated to newer hardware with 2000XP.
Worked fine for about a 1 1/2 years and all of a sudden it will not allow me
to print, even though it works on other software, e.i. ms word, excel etc.
Help!

There is a solution!"

http://mail.spaminspector.com

Mike Walker

MS DOS on 2000 or XP can be a problem,
MS DOS only knows about LPT1: , I know you can redirect it
via port mapping.

q) Is it LPT1 ?
q) Is it a network printer?
q) Is it a Dot Matrix / Laser / Ink Jet ?

More information would be nice.

Mike.

"AlC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using older DOS program that reports are printed from several times a day.
> Have been doing this for years, but updated to newer hardware with 2000XP.
> Worked fine for about a 1 1/2 years and all of a sudden it will not allow

me
> to print, even though it works on other software, e.i. ms word, excel etc.
> Help!

> "Are you still wasting your time with spam?...
> There is a solution!"
>
> Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector
> The most powerful anti-spam software available.
> http://mail.spaminspector.com

Thund3rstruck_n0i

AlC spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
<(E-Mail Removed)>

> Using older DOS program that reports are printed from several times a day.
> Have been doing this for years, but updated to newer hardware with 2000XP.
> Worked fine for about a 1 1/2 years and all of a sudden it will not allow
> me to print, even though it works on other software, e.i. ms word, excel
> etc. Help!

DOS programs only print to LPT ports.

What you need to do is this. Share the printer, and make note of the
computer's name.

Let's say the name is "computer" and the printer share name is "printer".

You would need to create a logon.bat file to put in the startup folder. The
contents of this file would be as follows:

==
net use lpt1: /delete
net use lpt1: \\computer\printer
==

The first removes the mapping, if it exists, and the second line assures it
gets remapped.

HTH

NOI