Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > norton internet security or????

norton internet security or????

Drvnguy

I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet security
2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx

Duane Arnold

"Drvnguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet security
> 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx

The wise move would be to use IPsec that's on the O/S to supplement the PFW
solution that can be taken down by malware.

The AnalogX Secpol file is easy to implement and provides instant protection
and is hard to take down.

http://www.petri.co.il/block_ping_tr...with_ipsec.htm

The wise move would be to go to the XP Pro O/S and *harden* the O/S to
attack a little bit.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

Duane

Ionizer

"Drvnguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet

security
> 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx

Why are you thinking of switching? Is Norton causing problems of some
sort? If not, why not just stick with what you've already got?

--
Ian.

°Mike°

Yes. Norton is bloated crapware; nothing but trouble.

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:08:35 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Drvnguy scrawled:

>I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet
>security 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx

--
Basic computer maintenance

Buffalo

> Yes. Norton is bloated crapware; nothing but trouble.
>

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:08:35 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Drvnguy scrawled:
>
> >I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet
> >security 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Mike, PC Magazine has just rated Nortons Personal Firewall as their Editors
Choice.(9Jul04)
Are you just prejudiced by everything that has the Norton name (Hopefully
that doesn't include 'Norton' from the Jackie Gleason 'HoneyMooners' show)?

Drvnguy

I have had norton for sometime now ,and i find that it gives me a headache
,and uses lots of system procceses in windows task manager ,also since
dumping it my download speeds are better
> Yes. Norton is bloated crapware; nothing but trouble.
>

> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:08:35 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Drvnguy scrawled:
>
> >I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet
> >security 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 18:44:15 GMT, in
<3UfIc.59094$IQ4.53234@attbi_s02>
"Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> scrawled:

>> Yes. Norton is bloated crapware; nothing but trouble.
>>

>> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:08:35 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Drvnguy scrawled:
>>
>> >I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet
>> >security 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx
>> >

>Mike, PC Magazine has just rated Nortons Personal Firewall as their Editors
>Choice.(9Jul04)

PC Magazine sucks mouldy socks ... their editors' socks.

>Are you just prejudiced by everything that has the Norton name

Nowadays, yes, but there was a time when the name Norton
was synonymous with quality; not any longer.

>(Hopefully that doesn't include 'Norton' from the Jackie Gleason
> 'HoneyMooners' show)?

Never heard of it, sorry.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

As I said, nothing but trouble.

On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:51:18 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Drvnguy scrawled:

>I have had norton for sometime now ,and i find that it gives me a headache
>,and uses lots of system procceses in windows task manager ,also since
>dumping it my download speeds are better

>> Yes. Norton is bloated crapware; nothing but trouble.
>>

>> On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 14:08:35 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Drvnguy scrawled:
>>
>> >I am thinking of switching to sygate firewall vs. norton internet
>> >security 2003 ,is this a wise choice ,i am runnin xp pro ...thnx

--
Basic computer maintenance

Buffalo

"Drvnguy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have had norton for sometime now ,and i find that it gives me a headache
> ,and uses lots of system procceses in windows task manager ,also since
> dumping it my download speeds are better

Were you just using Norton Antivirus of some of their monitoring programs
also?
I use NSW , but the only active (full time running) part of it I use is the
AntiVirus program.
I notice no slowdowns.
Win98SE
384MB SDram