Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Kerio Personal firewall

Kerio Personal firewall

Brian

"MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:arRHc.341$(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI
> I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP

shalalala
> it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
> I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is easy

> use?
> thanks

your're gonna have to find that out for yourself.. cos all you will get here
are opinions.. some good some bad.. as to the "easy bit" i cannot look into
your brain to find out which intelectual status you have.. so download and
read the manual
http://www.kerio.com/supp_kpf_manual.html..
also to make your own "opinion" google ( www.google.co.uk ) for kerio
firewall review and personal firewall reviews..

MahaRaj

HI
I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP shalalala
it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is easy to
use?
thanks

MahaRaj

LOL
good one.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:arRHc.341$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > HI
> > I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP

> shalalala
> > it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
> > I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is easy

> > use?
> > thanks
> >

> your're gonna have to find that out for yourself.. cos all you will get

here
> are opinions.. some good some bad.. as to the "easy bit" i cannot look

into
> your brain to find out which intelectual status you have.. so download and
> read the manual
> http://www.kerio.com/supp_kpf_manual.html..
> also to make your own "opinion" google ( www.google.co.uk ) for kerio
> firewall review and personal firewall reviews..

Blinky the Shark

MahaRaj wrote:

> HI
> I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP shalalala
> it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
> I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is easy to
> use?

1. Yes. 2. Yes, if you're not afraid to learn something.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

sethra

"MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:arRHc.341$(E-Mail Removed):

> HI
> I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP
> shalalala it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
> I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is
> easy to use?
> thanks

I've been using Kerio v2.1.5 for quite some time now and have been very
happy with it.

It's an older version, but it does what it needs to, without bloat and
without hogging system resources.

Newer versions include all sorts of extra "features" in addition to the
firewall itself, but I run an HTTP proxy and hosts file, among other
things, so I don't find those features necessary so I haven't upgraded.

Kerio is "easy to use" as long as you take some time to learn how to
properly configure the internet access rules for the programs you run.

Version 2.1.5 is freeware, though unsupported, and you might have to
search a bit for it.

HTH,
--
~sethra

MahaRaj

thanks sethra.
I have downloaded the 4.016 version. It does not hog the system and my
system is even faster without ZoneAlarm now.

Only one thing in KERIO is it ask lots of question and there are no
recommendations so you do not know what to click PERMIT or DENY.

I would say it is only for the advance users, who knows about the ports and
stuffs.
Over all I do not feel comfortable using Kerio as I do not know whats going
on.
But I am still keeping it and will try to learn this S**ker.

"sethra" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:arRHc.341$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > HI
> > I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP
> > shalalala it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
> > I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is
> > easy to use?
> > thanks

> I've been using Kerio v2.1.5 for quite some time now and have been very
> happy with it.
>
> It's an older version, but it does what it needs to, without bloat and
> without hogging system resources.
>
> Newer versions include all sorts of extra "features" in addition to the
> firewall itself, but I run an HTTP proxy and hosts file, among other
> things, so I don't find those features necessary so I haven't upgraded.
>
> Kerio is "easy to use" as long as you take some time to learn how to
> properly configure the internet access rules for the programs you run.
>
> Version 2.1.5 is freeware, though unsupported, and you might have to
> search a bit for it.
>
> HTH,
> --
> ~sethra

sethra

"MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:4feIc.295$(E-Mail Removed):

> thanks sethra.
> I have downloaded the 4.016 version. It does not hog the system and my
> system is even faster without ZoneAlarm now.
>
> Only one thing in KERIO is it ask lots of question and there are no
> recommendations so you do not know what to click PERMIT or DENY.
>
> I would say it is only for the advance users, who knows about the
> ports and stuffs.
> Over all I do not feel comfortable using Kerio as I do not know whats
> going on.
> But I am still keeping it and will try to learn this S**ker.

These pages might help:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/securi...-v3.0+Tiny+PFW
http://www.blarp.com/faq/faqmanager.cgi?toc=kerio
http://www.dslextreme.com/users/surferslim/tpf.html
http://www.geocities.com/yosponge/firewall.html

And these Forums:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/kerio
http://forums.kerio.com/
http://forums.blarp.com/~security/guests
http://forums.blarp.com/~security

It's confusing at first, I realize, but worth the trouble in the end.

The first page should still be valid, even though you're using v4 and
it's written for v2 -- both are "rules"-based firewalls, so the same
applications, ports, and protocols would still apply.

Regards,
--
~sethra

Bigfred

I like Outpost................... http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost

"MahaRaj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:arRHc.341$(E-Mail Removed)...
> HI
> I am ditching my ZoneAlarm Pro. its True vector thingy makes my XP

shalalala
> it hangs and I have to resets the whole pc.
> I recall somebody mentioned here KERIO fire wall. Is it good? It is easy

> use?
> thanks

Blinky the Shark

MahaRaj wrote:

> thanks sethra.
> I have downloaded the 4.016 version. It does not hog the system and my
> system is even faster without ZoneAlarm now.

> Only one thing in KERIO is it ask lots of question and there are no
> recommendations so you do not know what to click PERMIT or DENY.

> I would say it is only for the advance users, who knows about the ports and
> stuffs.

Learn about them.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263