Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > How to copy music from Tape to PC?

How to copy music from Tape to PC?

OrmesbyJohn

I have a couple of tapes I play on portable music centre.
What's the best way to arrange to burn the songs from the tape onto Cd on my
pc?
Thanks.

Sunny

"OrmesbyJohn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cco500$oa8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a couple of tapes I play on portable music centre.
> What's the best way to arrange to burn the songs from the tape onto Cd on

my
> pc?
> Thanks.

Info available here :
http://www.gmayor.com/copy_vinyl_to_CDR.htm

OrmesbyJohn

"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K8NHc.396342$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "OrmesbyJohn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cco500$oa8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a couple of tapes I play on portable music centre.
> > What's the best way to arrange to burn the songs from the tape onto Cd

on
> my
> > pc?
> > Thanks.

> Info available here :
> http://www.gmayor.com/copy_vinyl_to_CDR.htm

------------------------
Excellent - TVM.

Linda

OrmesbyJohn wrote:
> I have a couple of tapes I play on portable music centre.
> What's the best way to arrange to burn the songs from the tape onto Cd on my
> pc?
> Thanks.

Buy/make a patch lead with 3.5mm plugs on each end. Use it to connect
your walkman headphone socket to your sound card's line-in socket.
Configure any settings that need to be make for your sound card, play
your tape on the walkman & record it using windows movie maker. There's
a **** load of audio editing apps on the net to tidy the recordings up.

ProfGene

You need a patch cord with RCA plugs at one end and an eighth inch stereo at
the other. Run the RCA plugs from the audio out of your stereo deck to the
line in of your soundcard. You will then need a program like Cooledit to
record the tape into a wave format. You have many editing features to slice
the tape into any sections you want or edit the volume or other features of
the sound before you save it as a wave to burn to a cd.

"OrmesbyJohn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cco500$oa8$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a couple of tapes I play on portable music centre.
> What's the best way to arrange to burn the songs from the tape onto Cd on

my
> pc?
> Thanks.

OrmesbyJohn

"Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SIRHc.87791$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OrmesbyJohn wrote:
> > I have a couple of tapes I play on portable music centre.
> > What's the best way to arrange to burn the songs from the tape onto Cd

on my
> > pc?
> > Thanks.
> >

> Buy/make a patch lead with 3.5mm plugs on each end. Use it to connect
> your walkman headphone socket to your sound card's line-in socket.
> Configure any settings that need to be make for your sound card, play
> your tape on the walkman & record it using windows movie maker. There's
> a **** load of audio editing apps on the net to tidy the recordings up.

---------------------------------
Ref "**** load of audio editing apps on the net"...which (free ones!) do you
recommend/are thought to be the best?

Toolman Tim

"Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:SIRHc.87791$(E-Mail Removed)
>| OrmesbyJohn wrote:
>| > I have a couple of tapes I play on portable music centre.
>| > What's the best way to arrange to burn the songs from the tape
>| > onto Cd on my pc?
>| > Thanks.
>| >

>| Buy/make a patch lead with 3.5mm plugs on each end. Use it to connect
>| your walkman headphone socket to your sound card's line-in socket.
>| Configure any settings that need to be make for your sound card, play
>| your tape on the walkman & record it using windows movie maker.
>| There's a **** load of audio editing apps on the net to tidy the
>| recordings up.

Rather than using Movie Maker, you can record with MusicMatch. Set the input
to "Line", start the record process, start the tape. At the end of the song,
stop the record, stop the tape. Do it again for the next song, etc. You can
edit the artist, title, tracknumber, etc., right in MusicMatch.

Coming off of tape, recording in MP3 at 128 to 160 is probably fine.

Then, when you have the songs you want ready, use MusicMatch to burn them to
a CD. So one program does it all.

There are other programs that do all the same functions - but MusicMatch is
the one I'm most familiar with. Other programs are available for each
specific task too - rippers, editors, and burners. It depends on how much
time you want to spend on the project.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

OrmesbyJohn

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SIRHc.87791$(E-Mail Removed)
> >| >

> >| Buy/make a patch lead with 3.5mm plugs on each end. Use it to connect
> >| your walkman headphone socket to your sound card's line-in socket.
> >| Configure any settings that need to be make for your sound card, play
> >| your tape on the walkman & record it using windows movie maker.
> >| There's a **** load of audio editing apps on the net to tidy the
> >| recordings up.

> Rather than using Movie Maker, you can record with MusicMatch. Set the

input
> to "Line", start the record process, start the tape. At the end of the

song,
> stop the record, stop the tape. Do it again for the next song, etc. You

can
> edit the artist, title, tracknumber, etc., right in MusicMatch.
>
> Coming off of tape, recording in MP3 at 128 to 160 is probably fine.
>
> Then, when you have the songs you want ready, use MusicMatch to burn them

> a CD. So one program does it all.
>
> There are other programs that do all the same functions - but MusicMatch

is
> the one I'm most familiar with. Other programs are available for each
> specific task too - rippers, editors, and burners. It depends on how much
> time you want to spend on the project.

---------------
OK, TVM - I'll give MM a go.

Linda

OrmesbyJohn wrote:

> "Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:SIRHc.87791$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>OrmesbyJohn wrote:
>>
>>>I have a couple of tapes I play on portable music centre.
>>>What's the best way to arrange to burn the songs from the tape onto Cd

> on my
>
>>>pc?
>>>Thanks.
>>>

>>Buy/make a patch lead with 3.5mm plugs on each end. Use it to connect
>>your walkman headphone socket to your sound card's line-in socket.
>>Configure any settings that need to be make for your sound card, play
>>your tape on the walkman & record it using windows movie maker. There's
>>a **** load of audio editing apps on the net to tidy the recordings up.

> ---------------------------------
> Ref "**** load of audio editing apps on the net"...which (free ones!) do you
> recommend/are thought to be the best?

Sorry, that was a rather poor choice of words. I did that a lot yesterday.
What i had in mind was Blaze Audio, Blaze have a range of apps on their
home site http://www.blazeaudio.com/, it's not free but the 15 day trial
version maybe long enough if you're not making a career out of it.
Nero 6.0 & later also has an audio editor function. Be careful with that
one if you try it. It cleaned up a taped mp3 file so well i can here the
sprockets on my tape player in the background.

OrmesbyJohn

"Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8p0Ic.88384$(E-Mail Removed)...
> OrmesbyJohn wrote:
>
> > "Linda" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:SIRHc.87791$(E-Mail Removed)...

> > on my

> >>Buy/make a patch lead with 3.5mm plugs on each end. Use it to connect
> >>your walkman headphone socket to your sound card's line-in socket.
> >>Configure any settings that need to be make for your sound card, play
> >>your tape on the walkman & record it using windows movie maker. There's
> >>a **** load of audio editing apps on the net to tidy the recordings up.

> > ---------------------------------
> > Ref "**** load of audio editing apps on the net"...which (free ones!) do

you
> > recommend/are thought to be the best?
> >

> Sorry, that was a rather poor choice of words. I did that a lot yesterday.
> What i had in mind was Blaze Audio, Blaze have a range of apps on their
> home site http://www.blazeaudio.com/, it's not free but the 15 day trial
> version maybe long enough if you're not making a career out of it.
> Nero 6.0 & later also has an audio editor function. Be careful with that
> one if you try it. It cleaned up a taped mp3 file so well i can here the
> sprockets on my tape player in the background.

That's ok, Linda...I know what you American ladies are like for expletives

Thanks for the link - very useful.
John.