Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Shortcut key 'Ctrl+Alt+' working only erratically

Reply
Thread Tools

Shortcut key 'Ctrl+Alt+' working only erratically

 
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2004
XP Home.

On the properties sheet of shortcuts to Windows applications there is a
field called 'Shortcut key' which allows the addition of a letter plus a
mandatory Ctrl+Alt to open the file by key combination. Thus Ctrl+Alt+N
would open notepad if this combination were put in a shortcut to
notepad.exe. This is a very useful function but it hardly ever seems to
actually work. Am I missing anything? I set up a shortcut to application X,
put Ctrl+Alt+X in the shortcut key field, close and press Ctrl+Alt+X and
nothing happens. The process taunts me by working with a few files but
mostly not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

--
Regards


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-08-2004
<Troll group snipped>

There is a problem with assigning shortcut keys from task bars,
or the quicklaunch bar. Use the shortcuts in the Start
Menu / Programs to assign your shortcuts, instead.


On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:59:32 +0100, in
<cckjkj$s97$(E-Mail Removed)>
Mike scrawled:

>XP Home.
>
>On the properties sheet of shortcuts to Windows applications there is a
>field called 'Shortcut key' which allows the addition of a letter plus a
>mandatory Ctrl+Alt to open the file by key combination. Thus Ctrl+Alt+N
>would open notepad if this combination were put in a shortcut to
>notepad.exe. This is a very useful function but it hardly ever seems to
>actually work. Am I missing anything? I set up a shortcut to application X,
>put Ctrl+Alt+X in the shortcut key field, close and press Ctrl+Alt+X and
>nothing happens. The process taunts me by working with a few files but
>mostly not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gaz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2004
"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cckjkj$s97$(E-Mail Removed)...
> XP Home.
>
> On the properties sheet of shortcuts to Windows applications there is a
> field called 'Shortcut key' which allows the addition of a letter plus a
> mandatory Ctrl+Alt to open the file by key combination. Thus Ctrl+Alt+N
> would open notepad if this combination were put in a shortcut to
> notepad.exe. This is a very useful function but it hardly ever seems to
> actually work. Am I missing anything? I set up a shortcut to application

X,
> put Ctrl+Alt+X in the shortcut key field, close and press Ctrl+Alt+X and
> nothing happens. The process taunts me by working with a few files but
> mostly not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
> --
> Regards
>


That feature doesn't work properly. You can set shortcut keys to favourites
as well but they stop working after a while.

Cheers.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Gaz, the ablated, taxing hotelier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2004
Gaz wrote:

> That feature doesn't work properly. You can set shortcut keys to
> favourites as well but they stop working after a while.


BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH!!!




 
Reply With Quote
 
Mike
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2004
°Mike° wrote:
> <Troll group snipped>
>
> There is a problem with assigning shortcut keys from task bars,
> or the quicklaunch bar. Use the shortcuts in the Start
> Menu / Programs to assign your shortcuts, instead.
>
>
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:59:32 +0100, in
> <cckjkj$s97$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Mike scrawled:
>
>> XP Home.
>>
>> On the properties sheet of shortcuts to Windows applications there
>> is a field called 'Shortcut key' which allows the addition of a
>> letter plus a mandatory Ctrl+Alt to open the file by key
>> combination. Thus Ctrl+Alt+N would open notepad if this combination
>> were put in a shortcut to notepad.exe. This is a very useful
>> function but it hardly ever seems to actually work. Am I missing
>> anything? I set up a shortcut to application X, put Ctrl+Alt+X in
>> the shortcut key field, close and press Ctrl+Alt+X and nothing
>> happens. The process taunts me by working with a few files but
>> mostly not. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.


Thanks for this. Windows help did not mention that the shortcut needed to be
within the start menu hierarchy or on the desktop. Works for me now - also
someone in another ng mentioned using Shortcuts Map to see which if any are
already assigned. Thanks again.

http://www.zealsoftstudio.com/shortcuts/

--
Regards


 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-09-2004
On Fri, 9 Jul 2004 06:51:39 +0100, in
<cclbpa$ife$(E-Mail Removed)>
Mike scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>> <Troll group snipped>
>>
>> There is a problem with assigning shortcut keys from task bars,
>> or the quicklaunch bar. Use the shortcuts in the Start
>> Menu / Programs to assign your shortcuts, instead.


<snip>

>Thanks for this. Windows help did not mention that the shortcut needed to be
>within the start menu hierarchy or on the desktop. Works for me now - also
>someone in another ng mentioned using Shortcuts Map to see which if any are
>already assigned. Thanks again.
>
>http://www.zealsoftstudio.com/shortcuts/


You're welcome.

--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re: CD-R erratically detected §ñühw¤£f Computer Support 4 10-19-2009 06:21 PM
Shortcut key is not working in WinXP k_balaji Software 0 07-28-2006 08:53 AM
Shortcut, And Re-Directing Of Shortcut Quest. ? Robert11 Computer Support 1 12-30-2004 03:13 PM
Mouse behaving erratically! Lee Bales Computer Support 3 02-19-2004 03:16 AM
Button Click Event Fires Erratically? Big_Stu ASP .Net 1 11-19-2003 09:12 PM



Advertisments