Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet Explorer homepage taken over

Internet Explorer homepage taken over

joevan

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:33:30 GMT, TechNews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>They are urging all users of Internet Explorer (IE) to stop using the

You never quit do you?
Selling a lot of red hat are you?

TechNews

joevan wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:33:30 GMT, TechNews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>They are urging all users of Internet Explorer (IE) to stop using the

> You never quit do you?
> Selling a lot of red hat are you?

1. I'm not affiliated with Red Hat or any other vendor.

2. The article is clearly an *objective* warning from the government; In
the same vein that warnings are issued about products that may bring harm
to the consumer.

3. What's your problem?

--
Security:Reliability:Speed

TechNews

°Mike° wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:57:30 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Ennc scrawled:
>
>>I'm working on all of this (spybot found 502 of the pests) but
>>still have my original problem of a hyjacked home page.

> SpyBot S&D has an option to lock/unlock the IE home page,
> as does SpywareBlaster. In SpyBot, choose 'Mode / Advanced'.
> Go to the Tools pane and click on 'IE Tweaks'. Uncheck
> 'Lock IE start page....'
>

>>I see what you meant by good safe hex ... just visited the
>>website which is chock full of information that is excellent.

> Yes, it's important that you read it until it sinks in, and
> becomes second nature.
>
>>Please tell me this. Is Mozilla synonymous with Netscape?
>>I am a bit confused on that one.

> They are not the same, but Netscape is based on the
> same (Gecko) engine as Mozilla. Personally, I hate
> Netscape (I find it unstable), I can tollerate Mozilla
> Firefox (barely), but it doesn't suit my needs, and the
> bookmarks leave a LOT to be desired. For all of it's
> faults, I still prefere Internet Explorer, but enhanced
> with SlimBrowser (free):
> http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/
>
> <snip>

Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, Oprea... and anything else not IE do not
require the added extra-overhead in additional software that one needs for
basic browsing.

--
Security:Reliability:Speed

°Mike°

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:45:53 GMT, in
<98b86f50d93d60caea3a385a84953664@news.1usenet.com >
TechNews scrawled:

>joevan wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:33:30 GMT, TechNews <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>They are urging all users of Internet Explorer (IE) to stop using the

>> You never quit do you?
>> Selling a lot of red hat are you?

>1. I'm not affiliated with Red Hat or any other vendor.
>
>2. The article is clearly an *objective*

You don't appear to know the meaning of that word; your multiple,
irritating, sermonising, penguin-pushing posts are certainly NOT objective.

>warning from the government; In the same vein that warnings are
>issued about products that may bring harm to the consumer.

Get it into your head, that if you push things at people too
often, you get the opposite reaction from the intended one;
people come to resent what is being forced down their throat.
Your choice.

>3. What's your problem?

What's yours? Field testing your new soap box?

--
Friggin penguin pushers; worse than loon preachers, by a mile.

Ennc

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 18:57:30 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Ennc scrawled:
>
> >I'm working on all of this (spybot found 502 of the pests) but
> >still have my original problem of a hyjacked home page.

> SpyBot S&D has an option to lock/unlock the IE home page,
> as does SpywareBlaster. In SpyBot, choose 'Mode / Advanced'.
> Go to the Tools pane and click on 'IE Tweaks'. Uncheck
> 'Lock IE start page....'

In SpyBot it already is unchecked. I still could not get my home page
changed back to my own choices.
However I was able to successfully change it back in SpywareBlaster! Thank
you, thank you, thank you!

> >I see what you meant by good safe hex ... just visited the
> >website which is chock full of information that is excellent.

> Yes, it's important that you read it until it sinks in, and
> becomes second nature.

That will take some doing but I will try.

> >Please tell me this. Is Mozilla synonymous with Netscape?
> >I am a bit confused on that one.

> They are not the same, but Netscape is based on the
> same (Gecko) engine as Mozilla. Personally, I hate
> Netscape (I find it unstable), I can tollerate Mozilla
> Firefox (barely), but it doesn't suit my needs, and the
> bookmarks leave a LOT to be desired. For all of it's
> faults, I still prefere Internet Explorer, but enhanced
> with SlimBrowser (free):
> http://www.flashpeak.com/sbrowser/
>
> <snip>
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Rob K

TechNews wrote :
<snip>

> 3. What's your problem?

Try solving yours first.

IMHO posting something useful, nice, helpful etc etc takes a little bit
more than just a copy/paste from websites containing well-known facts -
using "TechNews" as a nick.

--
My E-mail address in ROT-13:

°Mike°

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:52:16 GMT, in
<50d344be6b40459e5e567d813c35280f@news.1usenet.com >
TechNews scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:

<snip>

>Mozilla, Firefox, Netscape, Oprea... and anything else not IE do not
>require the added extra-overhead in additional software that one needs for
>basic browsing.

If you're going to preach to an Englishman, at least
preach in English, dolt.

--
Basic computer maintenance

t gilb

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 23:14:07 GMT, in
> <3zkHc.7378$(E-Mail Removed). net>
> t gilb scrawled:
>

> >> IMPORTANT NOTICE:
> >> http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm#Attention
> >>

> >When trying to install the "hosts" file I've downloaded in the
> >above mentioned procedure to the default location:
> >C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
> >I get a prompt saying that a "host" file already exists there
> >and asks if I want to replace it. Should I?

> If you never put the hosts file there yourself, then yes.
> Otherwise, open the existing one and after checking
> that it is kosher, either replace it, or copy/paste the
> contents of one into the other. If you need help with
> the existing hosts file, post the contents of it here.
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Mike, This is the contents of the existing host file:
---------------------------------------
Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost
-----------------------------
Replace it?

°Mike°

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 00:19:03 GMT, in
<XvlHc.7476$(E-Mail Removed). net>
t gilb scrawled:

<snip>

>Mike, This is the contents of the existing host file:
>---------------------------------------
>Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
>#
># This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

<snip>

># 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
># 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
>
>127.0.0.1 localhost
>-----------------------------
>Replace it?

Yes, replace it. That's just a sample placed there by the
installation routine.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 01:21:52 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
°Mike° scrawled:

<snip>

> placed there by the installation routine.

That should be "Windows" installation routine.

--
Basic computer maintenance