Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Telephone point/modem problem?

Telephone point/modem problem?

ºoºfizzyºoº

My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point in my
house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point I get a 'No
Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at a
different phone point. Any ideas anyone?

P.S. UK user

Brian

"ºoºfizzyºoº" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point in my
> house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point I get a 'No
> Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at

> different phone point. Any ideas anyone?
>
> P.S. UK user

Noise? cables not seated correctly in that point? your telephone doesn't
need the cable/connection quality that a modem needs..

Livewire

says...
> My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point in my
> house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point I get a 'No
> Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at a
> different phone point. Any ideas anyone?
>
> P.S. UK user

Some time since I've used dial-up but there's an option for the modem to
ignore whether or not there's a dialtone. If you use that, it might work
-- albeit at a lower speed if the wiring is poor.

Unknown

Check the colors of the wires at the non working outlet and compare to working
outlet. If wired wrong phone may work but not modem since computer/modem is
grounded.
"ºoºfizzyºoº" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point in my
> house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point I get a 'No
> Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at a
> different phone point. Any ideas anyone?
>
> P.S. UK user

ImhoTech

"ºoºfizzyºoº" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point in my
> house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point I get a 'No
> Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at

> different phone point. Any ideas anyone?
>
> P.S. UK user

I haven't run across one but its rumored that some modems will give a no
dialtone error if the polarity of the jack you're plugging into is reversed.

Rt. Hon. Stephen Taggart-Hendry Esq.

ºoºfizzyºoº wrote:
>> My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point
>> in my house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point
>> I get a 'No Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok
>> as it works fine at a different phone point. Any ideas anyone?
>>
>> P.S. UK user

Whats your total REN on your phone connections?
ie, how many phones, faxes, sky box, etc..
Also, try a different splitter or something.

Livewire wrote:
>> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
>> says...
>>> My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone
>>> point in my house. However, when I plug my modem into the same
>>> phone point I get a 'No Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the
>>> modem is ok as it works fine at a different phone point. Any ideas
>>> anyone?
>>>
>>> P.S. UK user
>>>

>> Some time since I've used dial-up but there's an option for the
>> modem to ignore whether or not there's a dialtone. If you use that,
>> it might work -- albeit at a lower speed if the wiring is poor.

More than likely it will not work at all.

Livewire

In article <(E-Mail Removed). co.uk>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Livewire wrote:
> >> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> >> says...

> >> Some time since I've used dial-up but there's an option for the
> >> modem to ignore whether or not there's a dialtone. If you use that,
> >> it might work -- albeit at a lower speed if the wiring is poor.

> More than likely it will not work at all.

It won't do any harm to try, though, for the sake of a few seconds on
the configuration menu.

Plato

Livewire wrote:

> > My telephone works fine when plugged into one particular phone point in my
> > house. However, when I plug my modem into the same phone point I get a 'No
> > Dial Tone Found' error message! I know the modem is ok as it works fine at a
> > different phone point. Any ideas anyone?

A no-dial tone found is usually the result of a bad cable or a modem
that has been pharked by a surge. My guess is that you didn't have your
modem protected by a surge protector.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

ºoºfizzyºoº

it's definately to do with the line as I've now tried different modems....
same result each time.

news:40ed7104$0$25491$(E-Mail Removed)...