Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Internet Explorer Error

Internet Explorer Error

S Philpot

I have a computer running Windows XP home edition. Each and every
time I try to use the internet I get an error report. It does not
matter what I am looking at or when I am using it the error messages
comes up. Sometimes the message comes up right away and sometimes it
waits a few minutes. Any ideas as to why this is happening or how to
fix it?

WormWood

"S Philpot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have a computer running Windows XP home edition. Each and every
> time I try to use the internet I get an error report. It does not
> matter what I am looking at or when I am using it the error messages
> comes up. Sometimes the message comes up right away and sometimes it
> waits a few minutes. Any ideas as to why this is happening or how to
> fix it?

Do tell....and, what is this error message telling you, verbatim?

Boomer

S Philpot wrote:

> I have a computer

> I get an error report.

Got any other brilliance you'd like to dazzle the world with?

DC

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Free your mind, and your OS will follow...

S Philpot

I get an Internet Explorer Error box. If you click on the technical
information button it mentions the file msls31.dll.

S Philpot

I get an Internet Explorer Error box. If you click on the technical
information button it mentions the file msls31.dll.

°Mike°

Lesson 1. Please don't start a subject line with "Re:". That
gets included in replies, automatically, but when you start
a thread with "Re", it makes it look like you are replying to
another poster, and your question may go overlooked -- I
nearly deleted it without a second thought.

Lesson 2. Please be more descriptive in your choice of
subject text, but be brief. Common subject titles, like
yours, or "help", "outlook express", "error", etc. are not
only annoying, but your post may, again, get overlooked
as it gets swallowed up in threads of the same subject
title.

Lesson 3. Please be more precise in your question, and
include as much information as you can about your
operating system, software involved, and VERBATIM
error messages.

Herein endeth the lesson.

For your next assignment, please study the following:

Error Message: IEXPLORE Caused an Invalid Page
Fault in Module MSLS31.DLL
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282198

On 8 Jul 2004 17:22:30 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
S Philpot scrawled:

>I get an Internet Explorer Error box. If you click on the technical
>information button it mentions the file msls31.dll.

--
Basic computer maintenance

S Philpot

First, I have only used this area of Google to post a question once
before as well as to reply to a comment made by an earlier gentleman.

Secondly, the second comment was to be more descriptive (I do know
that I could have had more but gee...the IE closed on me again) and I
am about to very descriptive.

Third, I am grateful that you are willing to respond to my question
but you do not have to be so rude in your response...I don't need
lessons, but thanks anyways.

Okay so you want descriptive...here goes.

I have a computer running Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service
Pack 1 (it is what came with the computer). I have IE Version
6.0.2800.1106 as well as Norton AntiVirus 2004 (it scans and finds no
viruses).

Everytime we access the internet we get a message that
reads---Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
close. If I click on the data link at the bottom I am given the
following information:

AppName: iexplore.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106
ModName: msls31.dll
ModVer: 3.10.349.0
OffSet: 00002ac5

If I click on the technical button from there I get a file that will
accompany the report. I can give you that file name if you need at a
later time.

So what I have done to try and correct the problem? Well I first
contacted a local computer store and they told me to go to the Control
Panel and uncheck IE from the components list and then go back and
reinstall it. I did that and it did not help. After that I
researched some more in great deatil and followed another person's
adive. I first unchecked the "enable 3rd party browser extensions"
and downloaded Spybot-Search and Destroy. After downloading the
program I found updates and then scanned the computer. The scan gave
me the following information.

DoubleClick 1 Entry that was a tracking cookie
Advertising.com 2 entires both tracking cookies
Alexa Related 1 entry that said replace file
(C:\Windows\web\related.htm)
Avenue A, Inc. 1 entry that was a tracking cookie
DSO Exploit 5 Entries that were registry changes
MediaPlex 1 Entry that was a tracking cookie

Now ever since I turned off the 3rd party browser extensions I have
had no problems which is why I ran the spybot. I was told that if
disabling that item fixed the problem I needed to run the spybot.

Now I guess I need to know what to do with the items from the spybot
and if I need to re-enable the 3rd party browser extensions or
something else all together. If you could help me I would greatly
appreciate it. If you need any further information I could appreciate
it.

Thanks so much!!

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Lesson 1. Please don't start a subject line with "Re:". That
> gets included in replies, automatically, but when you start
> a thread with "Re", it makes it look like you are replying to
> another poster, and your question may go overlooked -- I
> nearly deleted it without a second thought.
>
> Lesson 2. Please be more descriptive in your choice of
> subject text, but be brief. Common subject titles, like
> yours, or "help", "outlook express", "error", etc. are not
> only annoying, but your post may, again, get overlooked
> as it gets swallowed up in threads of the same subject
> title.
>
> Lesson 3. Please be more precise in your question, and
> include as much information as you can about your
> operating system, software involved, and VERBATIM
> error messages.
>
> Herein endeth the lesson.
>
> For your next assignment, please study the following:
>
> Error Message: IEXPLORE Caused an Invalid Page
> Fault in Module MSLS31.DLL
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=282198
>

> On 8 Jul 2004 17:22:30 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed) >
> S Philpot scrawled:
>
> >I get an Internet Explorer Error box. If you click on the technical
> >information button it mentions the file msls31.dll.

°Mike°

Regarding SpyBot, allow it to fix the entries you noted.

Regarding IE, you probably have a damaged msls31.dll file,
possibly others, too, in your IE installation. I suggest you
repair IE and then ensure that you have the latest cumulative
update. These are not shown on the normal Windows update
web page.

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook
Express in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378

Cumulative updates:

Internet Explorer
February 2004 Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (832894)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS04-004.mspx

Outlook Express
April 2004, Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express (837009)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms04-013.mspx

RPC/DCOM
April 2004, Cumulative Update for Microsoft RPC/DCOM (828741)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../ms04-012.mspx

July 2004, How to disable the ADODB.Stream object from Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=870669

Critical Updates:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/

On 9 Jul 2004 14:02:53 -0700, in