Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > My Recent Documents

My Recent Documents

WormWood

On Start / My Recent Documents, I have 15 icons, left there from previously
viewed images, some of which I wouldn't want my roomie to see....hehe. So,
can anyone tell me how I can clean up this flotsam and jetsom without
deleting them one at a time as they occur, as I have to do at this time?
Thank you now and at the hour of any help later.

°Mike°

Open Notepad and copy/paste the following
into it:

@ECHO OFF
CD %USERPROFILE%\recent
ECHO y| DEL *.*
CD..
CLS
EXIT

Save the file as cleardocs.bat and place it in a
folder somewhere. Make a shortcut to it, and
in the properties of the shortcut, set to run
minimized -- you can place the shortcut anywhere
you like. Clicking on the shortcut will clear
the list automatically.

Alternatively, you can go the long way, and use
the taskbar properties, but since you didn't state
which operating system, or whether you use the
classic Start Menu, or not....

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:00:09 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
WormWood scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

WormWood

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Open Notepad and copy/paste the following
> into it:
>
> @ECHO OFF
> CD %USERPROFILE%\recent
> ECHO y| DEL *.*
> CD..
> CLS
> EXIT
>

> Save the file as cleardocs.bat and place it in a
> folder somewhere. Make a shortcut to it, and
> in the properties of the shortcut, set to run
> minimized -- you can place the shortcut anywhere
> you like. Clicking on the shortcut will clear
> the list automatically.
>
> Alternatively, you can go the long way, and use
> the taskbar properties, but since you didn't state
> which operating system, or whether you use the
> classic Start Menu, or not....

It sounds real good. Sorry about not stating some details. XP Pro and I
don't believe I use the classic start menu. <---- Dummy

> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:00:09 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> WormWood scrawled:
>
> >On Start / My Recent Documents, I have 15 icons, left there from

previously
> >viewed images, some of which I wouldn't want my roomie to see....hehe.

So,
> >can anyone tell me how I can clean up this flotsam and jetsom without
> >deleting them one at a time as they occur, as I have to do at this time?
> >Thank you now and at the hour of any help later.
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:41:43 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
WormWood scrawled:

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Open Notepad and copy/paste the following
>> into it:
>>
>> @ECHO OFF
>> CD %USERPROFILE%\recent
>> ECHO y| DEL *.*
>> CD..
>> CLS
>> EXIT
>>

>> Save the file as cleardocs.bat and place it in a
>> folder somewhere. Make a shortcut to it, and
>> in the properties of the shortcut, set to run
>> minimized -- you can place the shortcut anywhere
>> you like. Clicking on the shortcut will clear
>> the list automatically.
>>
>> Alternatively, you can go the long way, and use
>> the taskbar properties, but since you didn't state
>> which operating system, or whether you use the
>> classic Start Menu, or not....
>>

>It sounds real good. Sorry about not stating some details. XP Pro and I
>don't believe I use the classic start menu. <---- Dummy

If you want to do it manually, each time, right click
on the taskbar and select 'Properties'. Go to the
Start Menu tab and press 'Customize', then choose
the 'Advanced' tab. At the bottom, press 'Clear List'.
You can also uncheck 'List my most recently opened
documents'. This only HIDES the list; the shortcuts
are still there in the 'Recent' folder.

--
Basic computer maintenance

WormWood

Ok,°Mike°, thanks so much for the options you have shown me. I know I can
rely on your expertise. Cheers

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:41:43 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> WormWood scrawled:
>

> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Open Notepad and copy/paste the following
> >> into it:
> >>
> >> @ECHO OFF
> >> CD %USERPROFILE%\recent
> >> ECHO y| DEL *.*
> >> CD..
> >> CLS
> >> EXIT
> >>

> >> Save the file as cleardocs.bat and place it in a
> >> folder somewhere. Make a shortcut to it, and
> >> in the properties of the shortcut, set to run
> >> minimized -- you can place the shortcut anywhere
> >> you like. Clicking on the shortcut will clear
> >> the list automatically.
> >>
> >> Alternatively, you can go the long way, and use
> >> the taskbar properties, but since you didn't state
> >> which operating system, or whether you use the
> >> classic Start Menu, or not....
> >>

> >It sounds real good. Sorry about not stating some details. XP Pro and I
> >don't believe I use the classic start menu. <---- Dummy

> If you want to do it manually, each time, right click
> on the taskbar and select 'Properties'. Go to the
> Start Menu tab and press 'Customize', then choose
> the 'Advanced' tab. At the bottom, press 'Clear List'.
> You can also uncheck 'List my most recently opened
> documents'. This only HIDES the list; the shortcuts
> are still there in the 'Recent' folder.
>

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

You're welcome.

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 00:01:03 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
WormWood scrawled:

>Ok,°Mike°, thanks so much for the options you have shown me. I know I can
>rely on your expertise. Cheers

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:41:43 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> WormWood scrawled:
>>

>> >"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> >It sounds real good. Sorry about not stating some details. XP Pro and I
>> >don't believe I use the classic start menu. <---- Dummy

>> If you want to do it manually, each time, right click
>> on the taskbar and select 'Properties'. Go to the
>> Start Menu tab and press 'Customize', then choose
>> the 'Advanced' tab. At the bottom, press 'Clear List'.
>> You can also uncheck 'List my most recently opened
>> documents'. This only HIDES the list; the shortcuts
>> are still there in the 'Recent' folder.
>>

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

j.smathers

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 04:45:39 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 23:41:43 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> WormWood scrawled:
>

>>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Open Notepad and copy/paste the following
>>> into it:
>>>
>>> @ECHO OFF
>>> CD %USERPROFILE%\recent
>>> ECHO y| DEL *.*
>>> CD..
>>> CLS
>>> EXIT
>>>

>>> Save the file as cleardocs.bat and place it in a
>>> folder somewhere. Make a shortcut to it, and
>>> in the properties of the shortcut, set to run
>>> minimized -- you can place the shortcut anywhere
>>> you like. Clicking on the shortcut will clear
>>> the list automatically.
>>>
>>> Alternatively, you can go the long way, and use
>>> the taskbar properties, but since you didn't state
>>> which operating system, or whether you use the
>>> classic Start Menu, or not....
>>>

>>It sounds real good. Sorry about not stating some details. XP Pro and I
>>don't believe I use the classic start menu. <---- Dummy

>If you want to do it manually, each time, right click
>on the taskbar and select 'Properties'. Go to the
>Start Menu tab and press 'Customize', then choose
>the 'Advanced' tab. At the bottom, press 'Clear List'.
>You can also uncheck 'List my most recently opened
>documents'. This only HIDES the list; the shortcuts
>are still there in the 'Recent' folder.

erm, Your cmd file just deleted all the command files in my cmd
folder. fyi,nbd.

DC

WormWood wrote:
> On Start / My Recent Documents, I have 15 icons, left there from previously
> viewed images, some of which I wouldn't want my roomie to see....hehe. So,
> can anyone tell me how I can clean up this flotsam and jetsom without
> deleting them one at a time as they occur, as I have to do at this time?
> Thank you now and at the hour of any help later.

ISTR that TweakUI had an option to clear the "Recent" list on logoff.
If someone can confirm, this would probably be your simplest option.

--
DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

Free your mind, and your OS will follow...

°Mike°

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 14:40:44 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed) m>
j.smathers scrawled:

>On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 04:45:39 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:

<snip>

>>>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

>erm, Your cmd file just deleted all the command files in
>my cmd folder. fyi,nbd.

Then you did something wrong -- there is nothing wrong
with the batch file. And what/where is you "cmd" folder?

--
Basic computer maintenance

WormWood

"WormWood" <jojo@..com-de-com.com> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Start / My Recent Documents, I have 15 icons, left there from

previously
> viewed images, some of which I wouldn't want my roomie to see....hehe.

So,
> can anyone tell me how I can clean up this flotsam and jetsom without
> deleting them one at a time as they occur, as I have to do at this

time?
> Thank you now and at the hour of any help later.

To all who responded:
Thank you for the great suggestions, they all worked a treat.

Xp - Deleting Recent documents list? Ian H Computer Support 5 06-07-2004 07:43 PM
recent documents viv Computer Support 6 06-07-2004 04:32 PM
my recent documents mark Computer Support 9 05-14-2004 05:43 PM
Maximum recent Documents in Win 2000 Alpine Dragon Computer Support 3 01-03-2004 10:56 PM
My recent documents in WinXP TM Computer Support 4 11-30-2003 06:12 PM

Advertisments