Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > WHOIS domain name registration information question

WHOIS domain name registration information question

JD

Newbie question here. If I were to sign up for a new domain name, would the
sign up information I provide be seen on the WHOIS page? Or is it the
information I give to my web hosting service that goes on WHOIS? (that is,
if it is different of course) Also, we can change this info except for
first/last name at any time right? Is it possible to use a company name or
fake name? I don't want to use my real name.

Owdio

Yes and no.
Personal sign up info such as credit cards etc are private between you and
the host you pay.
There are 3 things that show in a WHOIS, Registrant (you), Administrative
(you again), and Technical (your host)
After signing up, just remember; A computer is only as smart as you tell it
to be and believes the changes you give it in those 3 catagories.
IE: your home address could be 1 Happy Lane and phone # could be 000 111
1111 and that's what will show in a WHOIS lookup.
It's cheaper than paying your host to hide it.
--
Owdio

"JD" <jos*RemoveThis*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:VtRGc.86082$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> Newbie question here. If I were to sign up for a new domain name, would

the
> sign up information I provide be seen on the WHOIS page? Or is it the
> information I give to my web hosting service that goes on WHOIS? (that

is,
> if it is different of course) Also, we can change this info except for
> first/last name at any time right? Is it possible to use a company name

or
> fake name? I don't want to use my real name.

Owdio, the reactionary, prisoning gerbil

You ****ing, stupid, brainless ****.

> "JD" <jos*RemoveThis*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:VtRGc.86082$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
>> Newbie question here. If I were to sign up for a new domain name,
>> would the sign up information I provide be seen on the WHOIS page?
>> Or is it the information I give to my web hosting service that goes
>> on WHOIS? (that is, if it is different of course) Also, we can
>> change this info except for first/last name at any time right? Is
>> it possible to use a company name or fake name? I don't want to use
>> my real name.

Owdio

Heh, I see there are still trolls in this group (ting)...
All info is I stated is true. I've done it.
Everything in my WHOIS is completely fabricated. Fake name, fake address, my
phone is 'unlisted' because in the late 90's, the computer didn't
differentiate numbers or letters, now they do..that's how STUPID a computer
was and still is...get it...stupid?). The only thing true in WHOIS? An
e-mail addy and THAT'S directed to my host not me.
You can look up my domain name... if I give it to you...which I won't... and
find no relevant info on me.
So shut yer yap troll.
--
Owdio

"Owdio, the smartest dude on the internet"
<(E-Mail Removed) r> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) .nospam.female.bodyhair...
> Owdio wrote:
> > Yes and no.
> > Personal sign up info such as credit cards etc are private between
> > you and the host you pay.
> > There are 3 things that show in a WHOIS, Registrant (you),
> > Administrative (you again), and Technical (your host)
> > After signing up, just remember; A computer is only as smart as you
> > tell it to be and believes the changes you give it in those 3
> > catagories.
> > IE: your home address could be 1 Happy Lane and phone # could be 000
> > 111 1111 and that's what will show in a WHOIS lookup.
> > It's cheaper than paying your host to hide it.

> You ****ing, stupid, brainless ****.
>
> > "JD" <jos*RemoveThis*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:VtRGc.86082$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...
> >> Newbie question here. If I were to sign up for a new domain name,
> >> would the sign up information I provide be seen on the WHOIS page?
> >> Or is it the information I give to my web hosting service that goes
> >> on WHOIS? (that is, if it is different of course) Also, we can
> >> change this info except for first/last name at any time right? Is
> >> it possible to use a company name or fake name? I don't want to use
> >> my real name.

Asterostroma Apalum

Owdio wrote:
> Heh, I see there are still trolls in this group (ting)...
> All info is I stated is true.

When I stated that you were a ****ing, stupid, brainless ****, that was
true.

> I've done it.
> Everything in my WHOIS is completely fabricated. Fake name, fake
> address, my phone is 'unlisted' because in the late 90's, the
> computer didn't differentiate numbers or letters, now they do..that's
> how STUPID a computer was and still is...get it...stupid?). The only
> thing true in WHOIS? An e-mail addy and THAT'S directed to my host
> not me.

It isn't necessary in countries that have adequate privacy laws, you retard.
My whois is completely empty. No need for false anything. So where do you
live? Communist China? North Korea? Vietnam? Cuba? There aren't any other
communist countries left so it has to be one of those four. I bet your
government tells you you're "free" and have "rights", too, eh. Do you have a
special day when you raise the flag and celebrate your "freedom"?

> You can look up my domain name...

As if you're worth the trouble? <snort>

> if I give it to you...which I
> won't... and find no relevant info on me.

So who cares? Besides you, that is?

> So shut yer yap troll.

I'd love to see you try and make me, you inbred, outrageous pickled herring eater.

> "Owdio, the smartest dude on the internet"
> <(E-Mail Removed) r> wrote in message

news:(E-Mail Removed) .nospam.female.bodyhair...
>> Owdio wrote:
>>> Yes and no.
>>> Personal sign up info such as credit cards etc are private between
>>> you and the host you pay.
>>> There are 3 things that show in a WHOIS, Registrant (you),
>>> Administrative (you again), and Technical (your host)
>>> After signing up, just remember; A computer is only as smart as you
>>> tell it to be and believes the changes you give it in those 3
>>> catagories.
>>> IE: your home address could be 1 Happy Lane and phone # could be 000
>>> 111 1111 and that's what will show in a WHOIS lookup.
>>> It's cheaper than paying your host to hide it.

>> You ****ing, stupid, brainless ****.
>>
>>> "JD" <jos*RemoveThis*(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:VtRGc.86082$(E-Mail Removed) le.rogers.com...

Owdio

Say bye bye to your account...hehe

"Asterostroma Apalum" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) sh...
> Owdio wrote:
> > Heh, I see there are still trolls in this group (ting)...
> > All info is I stated is true.

> When I stated that you were a ****ing, stupid, brainless ****, that was
> true.

<snip>

Plato

JD wrote:

> Newbie question here. If I were to sign up for a new domain name, would the
> sign up information I provide be seen on the WHOIS page? Or is it the

That's an "it depends" question. You're going to have to do some
research. For example, some registrars charge an extra fee for added
privacy. Some will gladly sell your email address to anybody with a few
bucks.

> information I give to my web hosting service that goes on WHOIS? (that is,

No, not in theory, the registrar generally controls what you see in most
"whois" lookups.

http://www.bootdisk.com/