Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > e-mail password issue

Reply
Thread Tools

e-mail password issue

 
 
Mary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
For some reason, my OE6 won't retain my password, even though I have
Remember Password checked. Help!
Thanks

--
Mary


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Lisa Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004

"Mary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40ead210$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For some reason, my OE6 won't retain my password, even though I have
> Remember Password checked. Help!
> Thanks
>
> --
> Mary
>

Be careful. I had the same problem and kept on retyping my passwords in
utter frustration - I could not understand why they weren't retained.....
Next thing, all my passwords on every account had been changed. Do beware,
in my case it was a key logger who accessed far too much of my private
information remotely. I installed a new hard drive and the problem went
away.

Lisa



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.716 / Virus Database: 472 - Release Date: 05/07/2004


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
OLEXP Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained
in Windows 2000 or XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=264672

Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=312347

Damaged Password List File Does Not Save Passwords
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=135197

Save Password Check Box Is Unavailable
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=137361


On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 11:24:46 -0500, in
<40ead210$(E-Mail Removed)>
Mary scrawled:

>For some reason, my OE6 won't retain my password, even though
>I have Remember Password checked. Help!
>Thanks


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Mary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004

"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40eeee7c.3738218@localhost...
> OLEXP Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained
> in Windows 2000 or XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=264672
>
> Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=312347
>
> Damaged Password List File Does Not Save Passwords
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=135197
>
> Save Password Check Box Is Unavailable
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=137361
>


Also-I can't get webpages to open from e-mail. What the heck?!
Thanks Mike,

--
Mary


 
Reply With Quote
 
Boomer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
"Mary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
> "°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40eeee7c.3738218@localhost...
>> OLEXP Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained
>> in Windows 2000 or XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=264672
>>
>> Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=312347
>>
>> Damaged Password List File Does Not Save Passwords
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=135197
>>
>> Save Password Check Box Is Unavailable
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=137361
>>

>
> Also-I can't get webpages to open from e-mail. What the heck?!
> Thanks Mike,


Hi

Will these help?
"Symptoms
When you double-click an Internet shortcut in an Outlook Express e-
mail
message, your Web browser may not start or connect to the Web page."

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;q177054
or (all versions)
New Window is Blank or Nothing Happens When You Click a Link
http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;281679

http://www.google.com/microsoft.html

 
Reply With Quote
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
On Tue, 6 Jul 2004 14:23:42 -0500, in
<40eafbff$(E-Mail Removed)>
Mary scrawled:

>
>"°Mike°" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:40eeee7c.3738218@localhost...
>> OLEXP Your Outlook Express Password Is Not Retained
>> in Windows 2000 or XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=264672
>>
>> Your Password Is Not Retained in Windows 2000 or Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=312347
>>
>> Damaged Password List File Does Not Save Passwords
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=135197
>>
>> Save Password Check Box Is Unavailable
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=137361
>>

>
>Also-I can't get webpages to open from e-mail. What the heck?!
>Thanks Mike,


OLEXP Internet Shortcuts in Outlook Express Do Not
Start Web Browser
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=177054

OLEXP Nothing Happens When You Click a Link in
Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=176581

Current Web Page Is Blank After Opening an Outlook-- URI
from Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257136

BUG: Microsoft Internet Explorer Displays a Blank Page
While It Uses an HTTP 1.0 Request in a WinInet Application
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=816405

HTML Pages Only Partially Appear, HTML Pages Do Not Appear,
or the Network Stops Responding
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823386

Internet Explorer Displays a Blank Page and May Appear to
Stop Responding on Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832624


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
Himalayan sushie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-06-2004
Lisa Taylor, after spending 3 minutes figuring out which end of the pen to use,
wrote:

>
> "Mary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40ead210$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> For some reason, my OE6 won't retain my password, even though I have
>> Remember Password checked. Help!
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Mary
>>

> Be careful. I had the same problem and kept on retyping my passwords in
> utter frustration - I could not understand why they weren't retained.....
> Next thing, all my passwords on every account had been changed. Do beware,
> in my case it was a key logger who accessed far too much of my private
> information remotely. I installed a new hard drive and the problem went
> away.


LMAO! The blind leading the blind! PMSL
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lisa Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2004

"Himalayan sushie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Mary
> >>

> > Be careful. I had the same problem and kept on retyping my passwords in
> > utter frustration - I could not understand why they weren't

retained.....
> > Next thing, all my passwords on every account had been changed. Do

beware,
> > in my case it was a key logger who accessed far too much of my private
> > information remotely. I installed a new hard drive and the problem went
> > away.

>
> LMAO! The blind leading the blind! PMSL


Was I wrong to assume I had a keylogger remotely installed on my machine?
All my hotmail passwords were changed, as were the 'secret question'
answers. The only clue I had to this was that the passwords had to be
retyped each time via OE - even then I could not gain access to my accounts.
Even my main email address had its password changed and I can think of no
other way this could have happened.
As I am the only person with access to my machine, a new hard drive to clean
the computer was the only think I could think of.
Please explain, I apparently know too little about computers and need to
learn.

Thankyou, Lisa


 
Reply With Quote
 
Lisa Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2004

"Brian H¹©" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:XtRGc.156$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lisa Taylor wrote:
> > "Himalayan sushie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>>>Mary
> >>>>
> >>>
> >>>Be careful. I had the same problem and kept on retyping my passwords

in
> >>>utter frustration - I could not understand why they weren't

> >
> > retained.....
> >
> >>>Next thing, all my passwords on every account had been changed. Do

> >
> > beware,
> >
> >>>in my case it was a key logger who accessed far too much of my private
> >>>information remotely. I installed a new hard drive and the problem went
> >>>away.
> >>
> >> LMAO! The blind leading the blind! PMSL

--------------
> > Was I wrong to assume I had a keylogger remotely installed on my

machine?
> > All my hotmail passwords were changed, as were the 'secret question'
> > answers. The only clue I had to this was that the passwords had to be
> > retyped each time via OE - even then I could not gain access to my

accounts.
> > Even my main email address had its password changed and I can think of

no
> > other way this could have happened.
> > As I am the only person with access to my machine, a new hard drive to

clean
> > the computer was the only think I could think of.
> > Please explain, I apparently know too little about computers and need to
> > learn.
> >
> > Thankyou, Lisa

---------
> No, what I found funny was that you changed your hard drive and seem
> surprised that the problem disappeared.
> A bit like buying a new car and finding the knocking noise from the old
> car has disappeared.

------------
Duh! Thanks for the explanation Brian. Of course, genetics leading to blonde
hair is the cause of my stupidity. The sad thing was, I really did have a
feeling of triumph when I replaced the drive and the keylogger was no longer
there.
Another confession is that I thought I would be really clever and partition
the drives so I could still have access to the programmes/data from the
keylogged old drive. This I did with cardboard..... my teenaged son nearly
wet himself when he saw Mum proudly showed off her handiwork!
Lisa


 
Reply With Quote
 
Avenger©
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-07-2004
On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 08:17:58 +0100, "Lisa Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>"Himalayan sushie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >> Mary
>> >>
>> > Be careful. I had the same problem and kept on retyping my passwords in
>> > utter frustration - I could not understand why they weren't

>retained.....
>> > Next thing, all my passwords on every account had been changed. Do

>beware,
>> > in my case it was a key logger who accessed far too much of my private
>> > information remotely. I installed a new hard drive and the problem went
>> > away.

>>
>> LMAO! The blind leading the blind! PMSL

>
>Was I wrong to assume I had a keylogger remotely installed on my machine?
>All my hotmail passwords were changed, as were the 'secret question'
>answers. The only clue I had to this was that the passwords had to be
>retyped each time via OE - even then I could not gain access to my accounts.
>Even my main email address had its password changed and I can think of no
>other way this could have happened.
>As I am the only person with access to my machine, a new hard drive to clean
>the computer was the only think I could think of.
>Please explain, I apparently know too little about computers and need to
>learn.
>
>Thankyou, Lisa
>


What you have done (install new hard drive) was completely
unnecessary. It appears obvious you may NOT have had anti virus,
firewall or anti spyware software installed on your machine.

To install a RAT means they (hackers?) have accessed your system,
without your knowledge, as you failed to install (and keep up to date)
software to keep them out.

Installing a new hard disk was a complete waste of time, money and
effort. Try practicing a bit of safe *hex* and install basic
protection on your machine. A Google search on the subject should
enlighten you ;o)
--
Avenger©
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
"Put the CAT out to reply"
*I DETEST Spam - A Spam Hater since 1951*
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change a users password without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question AAaron123 ASP .Net 1 01-16-2009 02:56 PM
Changing a users password without knowing the old password nor the answer to the password question AAaron123 ASP .Net 2 01-16-2009 02:08 PM
Password change not working for default password in cisco aironet 1200 Deepak K Cisco 2 04-19-2005 08:42 PM
How to keep the password in a password field when page post back? feng ASP .Net 4 02-28-2004 06:46 PM
Adding a password to Mozilla Password Manager Dirk Firefox 4 10-28-2003 10:00 PM



Advertisments