Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Instant Messenger starts when Outlook Express 6 starts no matter what is checked!

Instant Messenger starts when Outlook Express 6 starts no matter what is checked!

Route9w

Hi
I have changed all the settings I can find to stop AIM from starting
when OE starts---to no avail! The AIM Logon on the OE
Tools...Options...General Tab is not checked and neither is the box in
IM that tells it tostart when WIndows starts.

The thing has a mind of its own!

I would appreciate any insights as to what to do.
Thanks
joe

Boomer

Route9w <elvis @brick_row.net> wrote:

> Hi
> I have changed all the settings I can find to stop AIM from
> starting when OE starts---to no avail! The AIM Logon on the OE
> Tools...Options...General Tab is not checked and neither is the
> box in IM that tells it tostart when WIndows starts.
>
> The thing has a mind of its own!
>
> I would appreciate any insights as to what to do.
> Thanks
> joe

Maybe read/ask over at:
http://www.aim.com/index.adp?aolp=

°Mike°

Copy/paste the following into notepad and save it as
a *.reg file. Merge the file into your registry by
double clicking on it. Note that EVERYTHING between
the [ and ] MUST be one line only, and there must be a
blank line at the end.

=============
98/ME version:
=============

***** <-- omit this line
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Mess enger\Client]
"PreventRun"=dword:00000001
"PreventAutoRun"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\10.0\Outlook\InstantMessaging]
"ForceDisableIM"=dword:00000001

***** <-- omit this line

Reboot.

=============
XP version:
=============

***** <-- omit this line
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Mess enger]

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Mess enger\Client]
"PreventRun"=dword:00000001
"PreventAutoRun"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\10.0\Outlook\InstantMessaging]
"ForceDisableIM"=dword:00000001

***** <-- omit this line

Reboot.

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:45:09 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Route9w scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Duane Arnold

About this Path thing with Xnews, how do you use it and where do you
implement it in the Add to Score File. Do that the word Path with it too?

Duane

Route9w

Using XP hOme

Under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\-there are
only Conferencing and System Certificates , so I am unable to locate
the entries.

Joe

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:02:41 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Copy/paste the following into notepad and save it as
>a *.reg file. Merge the file into your registry by
>double clicking on it. Note that EVERYTHING between
>the [ and ] MUST be one line only, and there must be a
>blank line at the end.
>

>=============
> 98/ME version:
>=============
>

>***** <-- omit this line
>REGEDIT4
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Mess enger\Client]
>"PreventRun"=dword:00000001
>"PreventAutoRun"=dword:00000001
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\10.0\Outlook\InstantMessaging]
>"ForceDisableIM"=dword:00000001
>
>***** <-- omit this line
>
>Reboot.
>

>=============
> XP version:
>=============
>

>***** <-- omit this line
>Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Mess enger]
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Mess enger\Client]
>"PreventRun"=dword:00000001
>"PreventAutoRun"=dword:00000001
>
>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\10.0\Outlook\InstantMessaging]
>"ForceDisableIM"=dword:00000001
>
>***** <-- omit this line
>
>Reboot.
>

>On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:45:09 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Route9w scrawled:
>
>>Hi
>>I have changed all the settings I can find to stop AIM from starting
>>when OE starts---to no avail! The AIM Logon on the OE
>>Tools...Options...General Tab is not checked and neither is the box in
>>IM that tells it tostart when WIndows starts.
>>
>> The thing has a mind of its own!
>>
>>I would appreciate any insights as to what to do.
>>Thanks
>>joe

°Mike°

Read my answer again -- I never said find the entries.
Duh!

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:01:02 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Route9w scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Route9w

Duh?

Now Now, shouldn't lose your nice ways.

It appeared that the entries would replace existing ones and when I
did not find them I asked rather than assume.........

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:08:47 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Read my answer again -- I never said find the entries.
>Duh!
>

>On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:01:02 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Route9w scrawled:
>
>>Using XP hOme
>>
>>Under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\-there are
>>only Conferencing and System Certificates , so I am unable to locate
>>the entries.
>>
>>Joe
>>
>>On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:02:41 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Copy/paste the following into notepad and save it as
>>>a *.reg file. Merge the file into your registry by
>>>double clicking on it. Note that EVERYTHING between
>>>the [ and ] MUST be one line only, and there must be a
>>>blank line at the end.
>>>

>>>=============
>>> 98/ME version:
>>>=============
>>>

>>>***** <-- omit this line
>>>REGEDIT4
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Mess enger\Client]
>>>"PreventRun"=dword:00000001
>>>"PreventAutoRun"=dword:00000001
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\10.0\Outlook\InstantMessaging]
>>>"ForceDisableIM"=dword:00000001
>>>
>>>***** <-- omit this line
>>>
>>>Reboot.
>>>

>>>=============
>>> XP version:
>>>=============
>>>

>>>***** <-- omit this line
>>>Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Mess enger]
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Mess enger\Client]
>>>"PreventRun"=dword:00000001
>>>"PreventAutoRun"=dword:00000001
>>>
>>>[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Offi ce\10.0\Outlook\InstantMessaging]
>>>"ForceDisableIM"=dword:00000001
>>>
>>>***** <-- omit this line
>>>
>>>Reboot.
>>>

>>>On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 23:45:09 -0400, in
>>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>> Route9w scrawled:

>>http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>>-----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =-----

°Mike°

On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 17:51:36 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Route9w scrawled:

>Duh?

Yes, duh!

>Now Now, shouldn't lose your nice ways.

What makes you think that I have?

>It appeared that the entries would replace existing ones

The entries do not exist by default.

>and when I did not find them I asked rather than assume.........

There was no need to assume; I quite clearly stated:
"Copy/paste the following into notepad and save it as
a *.reg file. Merge the file into your registry by
double clicking on it."

There was no mention of opening your registry editor,
nor of finding the entries.

>On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 16:08:47 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Read my answer again -- I never said find the entries.
>>Duh!
>>

>>On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 22:01:02 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Route9w scrawled:
>>
>>>Using XP hOme
>>>
>>>Under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\-there are
>>>only Conferencing and System Certificates , so I am unable to locate
>>>the entries.
>>>
>>>Joe

<snip>

--