Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help with Unmountable_Boot_Volume

Help with Unmountable_Boot_Volume

ECLiPSE 2002

When my daughter booted up her WinXP Home edition PC she got a blue
screen with an Uncountable_Boot_Volume error message which said that
there was a problem with windows and it was shut down to protect the
computer.
The screen narrative advised a restart and if that did not work to try
to reboot in safe mode. When this is attempted a black screen with a
full screen of various statements which meant little or nothing to me-
but would not open in windows safe mode and simply returned to the
blue error screen above.

In addtion to the above suggestions on the blue screen was the
following technical information:

STOP: Ox000000ED(0x81b9daf8, 0X0000006,0X00000000,0X00000000)

Ths is an EMachine that came preloaded with Win XP home and a vendors
recovery disk. I am hoping that it may be possible to salvage my
installed programs and settings/configurations before resorting to a
full reinstall from the vendors recovery CD.

Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Frank

Boomer

ECLiPSE 2002 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When my daughter booted up her WinXP Home edition PC she got a
> blue screen with an Uncountable_Boot_Volume error message which
> said that there was a problem with windows and it was shut down
> to protect the computer.
> The screen narrative advised a restart and if that did not work
> to try to reboot in safe mode. When this is attempted a black
> screen with a full screen of various statements which meant
> little or nothing to me- but would not open in windows safe mode
> and simply returned to the blue error screen above.
>
> In addtion to the above suggestions on the blue screen was the
> following technical information:
>
> STOP: Ox000000ED(0x81b9daf8, 0X0000006,0X00000000,0X00000000)
>
> Ths is an EMachine that came preloaded with Win XP home and a
> vendors recovery disk. I am hoping that it may be possible to
> salvage my installed programs and settings/configurations before
> resorting to a full reinstall from the vendors recovery CD.
>
> Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Frank

Did a quick search in the archives at Google Groups:
http://www.google.com/groups?as_epq=...D&safe=off&ie=
UTF-8&as_scoring=d&lr=lang_en&num=50&hl=en

Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?G113129B8

Are those of help?

°Mike°

<Followup-To set to 24hoursupport.helpdesk>

"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error
Message When You Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to
Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:47:36 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
ECLiPSE 2002 scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Unk

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:47:36 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>When my daughter booted up her WinXP Home edition PC she got a blue
>screen with an Uncountable_Boot_Volume error message which said that
>there was a problem with windows and it was shut down to protect the
>computer.
>The screen narrative advised a restart and if that did not work to try
>to reboot in safe mode. When this is attempted a black screen with a
>full screen of various statements which meant little or nothing to me-
>but would not open in windows safe mode and simply returned to the
>blue error screen above.
>
>In addtion to the above suggestions on the blue screen was the
>following technical information:
>
>STOP: Ox000000ED(0x81b9daf8, 0X0000006,0X00000000,0X00000000)
>
>Ths is an EMachine that came preloaded with Win XP home and a vendors
>recovery disk. I am hoping that it may be possible to salvage my
>installed programs and settings/configurations before resorting to a
>full reinstall from the vendors recovery CD.
>
>Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Frank

"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart
Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm

Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled
Is Mounted
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403

Frank,
I have not had much success for a permant cure with this error.
Using the Recovery Console, and then the chkdsk /r command, allowed Windows
to start correctly just once. On restart, the error returned. However,
running the chkdsk /r command again, let Windows start again but it's time
consuming. chkdsk takes up to an hour to complete. I would suggest
copying your important data to another drive when the opportunity arises.

ECLiPSE 2002

Thanks for the responses - I believe that her power shutdown of the PC
before the Windows shutdown process was complete caused her problem.
In that case the advice is to access the Recovery Console and follow
the steps in the Microsoft Knowledge base.

How does one determine whether my daughter's hard drive contains the
Recovery Console - she has an EMachine that has an OEM version of Win
XP home - I rather doubt that the Recovry Console has been installed
on her PC. But I lack the knowledge to make that determination. Can
someone help me here?

Thanks,

Frank

FrankOn Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:42:04 -0400, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:47:36 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>

>>When my daughter booted up her WinXP Home edition PC she got a blue
>>screen with an Uncountable_Boot_Volume error message which said that
>>there was a problem with windows and it was shut down to protect the
>>computer.
>>The screen narrative advised a restart and if that did not work to try
>>to reboot in safe mode. When this is attempted a black screen with a
>>full screen of various statements which meant little or nothing to me-
>>but would not open in windows safe mode and simply returned to the
>>blue error screen above.
>>
>>In addtion to the above suggestions on the blue screen was the
>>following technical information:
>>
>>STOP: Ox000000ED(0x81b9daf8, 0X0000006,0X00000000,0X00000000)
>>
>>Ths is an EMachine that came preloaded with Win XP home and a vendors
>>recovery disk. I am hoping that it may be possible to salvage my
>>installed programs and settings/configurations before resorting to a
>>full reinstall from the vendors recovery CD.
>>
>>Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>Frank

>"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart
>Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm
>

>Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled
>Is Mounted
>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403
>

>Frank,
>I have not had much success for a permant cure with this error.
>Using the Recovery Console, and then the chkdsk /r command, allowed Windows
>to start correctly just once. On restart, the error returned. However,
>running the chkdsk /r command again, let Windows start again but it's time
>consuming. chkdsk takes up to an hour to complete. I would suggest
>copying your important data to another drive when the opportunity arises.

Toolman Tim

"ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
>| Thanks for the responses - I believe that her power shutdown of the
>| PC before the Windows shutdown process was complete caused her
>| problem. In that case the advice is to access the Recovery Console
>| and follow the steps in the Microsoft Knowledge base.
>|
>| How does one determine whether my daughter's hard drive contains the
>| Recovery Console - she has an EMachine that has an OEM version of Win
>| XP home - I rather doubt that the Recovry Console has been installed
>| on her PC. But I lack the knowledge to make that determination. Can
>| someone help me here?
>|
>| Thanks,
>|
>| Frank
>|

>| FrankOn Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:42:04 -0400, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>| >"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You
>| >Restart Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP
>| >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
>| >http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm
>| >

>| >Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching
>| >Enabled Is Mounted
>| >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403
>| >

>| >Frank,
>| >I have not had much success for a permant cure with this error.
>| >Using the Recovery Console, and then the chkdsk /r command, allowed
>| >Windows to start correctly just once. On restart, the error
>| >returned. However, running the chkdsk /r command again, let Windows
>| >start again but it's time consuming. chkdsk takes up to an hour to
>| >complete. I would suggest copying your important data to another
>| >drive when the opportunity arises.

Recovery Console is an integral part of Windows XP, just like Safe Mode.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Unk

The Recovery Console has to be installed from the WindowsXP CD. Even if it
was previously installed, you need to boot to the WinXP CD to access it.
(If it was previously installed, there will be a hidden, system folder named
"cmdcons")

If you have access to a cd burner, you can still salvage files. See "Bart's
PE Builder". It will give you a complete Win32 environment with network
support, a graphical user interface (800x600) and FAT/NTFS/CDFS filesystem
support. Very handy for burn-in testing systems with no OS, rescuing files
to a network share, virus scan and so on.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:39:34 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Thanks for the responses - I believe that her power shutdown of the PC
>before the Windows shutdown process was complete caused her problem.
>In that case the advice is to access the Recovery Console and follow
>the steps in the Microsoft Knowledge base.
>
>How does one determine whether my daughter's hard drive contains the
>Recovery Console - she has an EMachine that has an OEM version of Win
>XP home - I rather doubt that the Recovry Console has been installed
>on her PC. But I lack the knowledge to make that determination. Can
>someone help me here?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Frank
>

>FrankOn Sun, 04 Jul 2004 22:42:04 -0400, Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 21:47:36 -0400, ECLiPSE 2002 <(E-Mail Removed)>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>When my daughter booted up her WinXP Home edition PC she got a blue
>>>screen with an Uncountable_Boot_Volume error message which said that
>>>there was a problem with windows and it was shut down to protect the
>>>computer.
>>>The screen narrative advised a restart and if that did not work to try
>>>to reboot in safe mode. When this is attempted a black screen with a
>>>full screen of various statements which meant little or nothing to me-
>>>but would not open in windows safe mode and simply returned to the
>>>blue error screen above.
>>>
>>>In addtion to the above suggestions on the blue screen was the
>>>following technical information:
>>>
>>>STOP: Ox000000ED(0x81b9daf8, 0X0000006,0X00000000,0X00000000)
>>>
>>>Ths is an EMachine that came preloaded with Win XP home and a vendors
>>>recovery disk. I am hoping that it may be possible to salvage my
>>>installed programs and settings/configurations before resorting to a
>>>full reinstall from the vendors recovery CD.
>>>
>>>Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Frank

>>"STOP 0x000000ED UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME" Error Message When You Restart
>>Your Computer or Upgrade to Windows XP
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
>>http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_u.htm
>>

>>Stop 0x000000ED Error Message When Volume on IDE Drive with Caching Enabled
>>Is Mounted
>>http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403
>>

>>Frank,
>>I have not had much success for a permant cure with this error.
>>Using the Recovery Console, and then the chkdsk /r command, allowed Windows
>>to start correctly just once. On restart, the error returned. However,
>>running the chkdsk /r command again, let Windows start again but it's time
>>consuming. chkdsk takes up to an hour to complete. I would suggest
>>copying your important data to another drive when the opportunity arises.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Frank;
Power off
Desktop:...Open the case and reseat the hard drive IDE ribbon cable at
both ends.
Laptop:... simply remove and reinsert the hard drive.
If that fails:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315403

Otherwise go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer and
download their hard drive diagnostics.

Do you have a hard drive overlay such as Max Blast?
Windows XP sometimes has issues with overlay software.
You may need to perform a Clean Installation without their overlay
software which is not needed anyway.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"ECLiPSE 2002" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> When my daughter booted up her WinXP Home edition PC she got a blue
> screen with an Uncountable_Boot_Volume error message which said that
> there was a problem with windows and it was shut down to protect the
> computer.
> The screen narrative advised a restart and if that did not work to

try
> to reboot in safe mode. When this is attempted a black screen with a
> full screen of various statements which meant little or nothing to

me-
> but would not open in windows safe mode and simply returned to the
> blue error screen above.
>
> In addtion to the above suggestions on the blue screen was the
> following technical information:
>
> STOP: Ox000000ED(0x81b9daf8, 0X0000006,0X00000000,0X00000000)
>
> Ths is an EMachine that came preloaded with Win XP home and a

vendors
> recovery disk. I am hoping that it may be possible to salvage my
> installed programs and settings/configurations before resorting to

> full reinstall from the vendors recovery CD.
>
> Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Frank

Scraggy

> Recovery Console is an integral part of Windows XP, just like Safe
> Mode.

Actually it is integral to a Windows XP CD. It must be installed.

ECLiPSE 2002

Thanks everyone for the responses and suggestions. I have progressed
to the following point and reached an impasse:

I went to the Microsoft web page that provides a download of the 6
Windows XP startup floppy disks and was able to install them and log
on to Recovery Console window with a c:\ prompt.

As instructed by some responders and the Microsoft knowledge page I
typed in CHKDSK /r to run the repair at the prompt.

Now here is the problem: it says that setup cannot find AUTOCHK.exe in
either the startup directory or the CD ROM drive. Since I do not have
the WinXP CD I need to somehow find AUTOCHK.exe and see if it is
possible to add it to the Recovery Console.

Would anyone be able to suggest a work around or provide guidance?

Frank