Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Clearing IE History files once and for all

Clearing IE History files once and for all

ZZ

MS has ignored the fact that it is VERY difficult to ensure that you
have cleared all traces of your browsing history, despite clicking on
the boxes MS has provided. They just don't clear it regardless of what
they say. You end up d/l and using other programs to clear the history
files.

The one step solution is simple. Download the Mozilla firefox browser.
If you set <TOOLS><OPTIONS><PRIVACY> and check clear all, it really
does CLEAR ALL.

I have tested this extensively and can say that it really does work.

SO, use IE for most web browsing, and for those sites that you don't
want anyone to know you go to, use Mozilla Firefox.

Granted, it has some issues, but as far as clearing your web tracks,
IT WORKS.

°Mike°

Bullshit. Mozilla leaves traces, if you are that paranoid,
just as any application does -- it's all there on your
hard drive for forensics to find.

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:13:19 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
ZZ scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Blinky the Shark

ZZ wrote:

> SO, use IE for most web browsing, and for those sites that you don't
> want anyone to know you go to, use Mozilla Firefox.

If you've got Mozilla installed, you have no need for IE anymore.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
New June 23:

ZZ

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:24:22 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Bullshit. Mozilla leaves traces, if you are that paranoid,
>just as any application does -- it's all there on your
>hard drive for forensics to find.
>

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:13:19 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> ZZ scrawled:
>
>>MS has ignored the fact that it is VERY difficult to ensure that you
>>have cleared all traces of your browsing history, despite clicking on
>>the boxes MS has provided. They just don't clear it regardless of what
>>they say. You end up d/l and using other programs to clear the history
>>files.
>>
>>The one step solution is simple. Download the Mozilla firefox browser.
>>If you set <TOOLS><OPTIONS><PRIVACY> and check clear all, it really
>>does CLEAR ALL.
>>
>>I have tested this extensively and can say that it really does work.
>>
>>SO, use IE for most web browsing, and for those sites that you don't
>>want anyone to know you go to, use Mozilla Firefox.
>>
>>http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/
>>
>>Granted, it has some issues, but as far as clearing your web tracks,
>>IT WORKS.

It may leave traces, but at least the history file IS EMPTIED when you
ask mozilla to do so, unlike IE. If I visit a site I don't want the
casual user to know about mozilla does the job.

°Mike°

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:03:35 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
ZZ scrawled:

>On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:24:22 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Bullshit. Mozilla leaves traces, if you are that paranoid,
>>just as any application does -- it's all there on your
>>hard drive for forensics to find.

<snip>

>It may leave traces, but at least the history file IS EMPTIED
>when you ask mozilla to do so, unlike IE.

The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
does not, then you have a separate problem.

>If I visit a site I don't want the casual user to know about mozilla
>does the job.

So does IE. Anybody that says otherwise is either a rabid
anti-Microsoft loon, a penguin pusher/preacher, believes every
piece of negative information they hear, or are just plain too
stupid to configure their system properly.

--
Basic computer maintenance

Retiredff

°Mike° wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:03:35 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> ZZ scrawled:
>
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 23:24:22 +0100, °Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Bullshit. Mozilla leaves traces, if you are that paranoid,
>>> just as any application does -- it's all there on your
>>> hard drive for forensics to find.

> <snip>
>
>> It may leave traces, but at least the history file IS EMPTIED
>> when you ask mozilla to do so, unlike IE.

> The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
> does not, then you have a separate problem.

But the index.dat history file does not. So, your IE history file is, but it
isn't.

Correct?

Me

°Mike° wrote:

> The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
> does not, then you have a separate problem.

I agree with the original poster. I have tested IE extensively with
this issue, and IE does indeed FAIL to erase your History when you
tell it to. EVEN ON A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS. It's partly why I
also chose to dump IE and use Firefox instead.

You say it's a separate problem, but I don't see how that can be if
the problem occurs on a fresh install. Please explain how.

°Mike°

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:42:28 GMT, in
<Ut1Gc.5574$(E-Mail Removed). net>
Retiredff scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 17:03:35 -0700, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> ZZ scrawled:

>> <snip>
>>
>>> It may leave traces, but at least the history file IS EMPTIED
>>> when you ask mozilla to do so, unlike IE.

>> The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
>> does not, then you have a separate problem.

>But the index.dat history file does not. So, your IE history file
>is, but it isn't.
>
>Correct?

As I said, "if you are that paranoid". The index.dat file is
unreadable by the casual user, and gets overwritten as
your browsing progresses, and the temporary internet
files and history are cleaned, sites visited again, etc.

The only people who complain about this issue are those
that have something to hide, or those unfortunate enough
and gullible enough to believe the scaremongering about so
called "super hidden files".

It is a non-issue for the majority of surfers, but seems to
be a major issue for those who are terrified that somebody
might actually find out what they have been viewing, or
for those who take every opportunity to slam *any* Microsoft
product -- I have no love for Microsoft products, generally,
but I find this "index.dat" issue to be quite laughable.

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:45:27 +1000, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Me scrawled:

>°Mike° wrote:
>
>> The IE history is emptied when you ask it to. If yours
>> does not, then you have a separate problem.

>I agree with the original poster. I have tested IE extensively with
>this issue, and IE does indeed FAIL to erase your History when you
>tell it to.

No, it doesn't.

>EVEN ON A CLEAN INSTALL OF WINDOWS.

Not even on a four year old install, it doesn't.

>It's partly why I also chose to dump IE and use Firefox instead.

There's other reasons to do that, but this shouldn't be
one of them; it's a red herring, *unless* you have
something to hide from a forensic examination of
your drive.

>You say it's a separate problem, but I don't see how that
>can be if the problem occurs on a fresh install.

As already stated, it does not.

>Please explain how.

*If* the history does not get cleared when the 'Clear
History' button is pressed, then the (un)likely cause is
a damaged History folder, or index.dat file. But, of
course, you and I both know that this is not the
issue here -- see my reply to "Retiredff".

--

°Mike° wrote:

>> I agree with the original poster. I have tested IE extensively with
>> this issue, and IE does indeed FAIL to erase your History when you
>> tell it to.

> No, it doesn't.

Let me explain: I install Windows on a freshly-formatted HD. I then
connect to the net, surf a bit, then log off. I open IE's "Internet
Options" and click the "Clear history" button. I then click the
"History" button at the top of IE's window and my history of surfed
sites is still there. Thus, it fails to erase my history, and you
have no argument against these facts.