Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Too much disk activity--Can't reinstall program

Too much disk activity--Can't reinstall program

Fourdogs

After adding a second HD to my computer, I tried to re-enable Goback on
the first drive. It said that I had to uninstall and reinstall goback
because the configuration had changed. It uninstalled o.k., but now it
will not reinstall because of "Other programs on your computer are
causing excessive disk activity which is preventing GoBack from
installing." I had turned off all in the tray and unplugged the
ethernet cable. How can I find out what might be causing this "disk
activity or close down anything that might be causing it"? TIA for any
help offered.
--

regards,
4D

°Mike°

Disable antivirus software, AFTER you have updated
and scanned your system for infection -- spyware, too.

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:10:49 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Fourdogs scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Fourdogs

"°Mike°" wrote:

> Disable antivirus software, AFTER you have updated
> and scanned your system for infection -- spyware, too.
>
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:10:49 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Fourdogs scrawled:
>
> >After adding a second HD to my computer, I tried to re-enable Goback on
> >the first drive. It said that I had to uninstall and reinstall goback
> >because the configuration had changed. It uninstalled o.k., but now it
> >will not reinstall because of "Other programs on your computer are
> >causing excessive disk activity which is preventing GoBack from
> >installing." I had turned off all in the tray and unplugged the
> >ethernet cable. How can I find out what might be causing this "disk
> >activity or close down anything that might be causing it"? TIA for any
> >help offered.

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Thanks Mike

Already did that. There must be something running in the background
that I can't see. Maybe some program checking for updates? I just
don't know. How can one be sure that all is disabled or stopped?
--

regards,
4D

°Mike°

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:37:34 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Fourdogs scrawled:

>"°Mike°" wrote:
>>
>> Disable antivirus software, AFTER you have updated
>> and scanned your system for infection -- spyware, too.

<snip>

>Thanks Mike
>
>Already did that. There must be something running in the background
>that I can't see. Maybe some program checking for updates? I just
>don't know. How can one be sure that all is disabled or stopped?

A program checking for updates wouldn't normally create
"excessive disk activity".

1. Have you disabled virus (boot sector) checking in the BIOS?
2. How did you scan your system, and what with (exactly)?
3. Were the scanners up to date (I mean TODAY)?
4. Check my signature for startup locations, etc.

--

"°Mike°" wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:37:34 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Fourdogs scrawled:
>
> >"°Mike°" wrote:
> >>
> >> Disable antivirus software, AFTER you have updated
> >> and scanned your system for infection -- spyware, too.

> <snip>
>
> >Thanks Mike
> >
> >Already did that. There must be something running in the background
> >that I can't see. Maybe some program checking for updates? I just
> >don't know. How can one be sure that all is disabled or stopped?

> A program checking for updates wouldn't normally create
> "excessive disk activity".
>
> 1. Have you disabled virus (boot sector) checking in the BIOS?
> 2. How did you scan your system, and what with (exactly)?
> 3. Were the scanners up to date (I mean TODAY)?
> 4. Check my signature for startup locations, etc.
>
> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Thanks again Mike,

System was scanned with AdAware and spybot, updated today. Virus
scanned with Norton AV Pro. Please tell me more about "disabled virus
(boot sector) checking in the BIOS". I am not familiar with that or how
to do it. Thanks again.
--

regards,
4D

°Mike°

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 20:14:39 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Fourdogs scrawled:

<snip>

>Thanks again Mike,
>
>System was scanned with AdAware and spybot, updated today. Virus
>scanned with Norton AV Pro. Please tell me more about "disabled virus
>(boot sector) checking in the BIOS". I am not familiar with that or how
>to do it. Thanks again.

Check your motherboard manual to see if you have an option
to protect your hard drive's boot record from viruses. Disable
it, if you have -- the option will be self evident, once you
are in the BIOS setup screen.

--
Basic computer maintenance

John H. Guillory

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:37:34 -0400, Fourdogs <nospam*@excite.com>
wrote:

>Thanks Mike
>
>Already did that. There must be something running in the background
>that I can't see. Maybe some program checking for updates? I just
>don't know. How can one be sure that all is disabled or stopped?

I'm kinda guessing the software your going to have to disable is
called Windows.... The only way your going to stop the disk activity
is most likely by giving it enough memory to keep it from swapping to
disk during the installation, that and by stopping any un-needed
services that are waisting memory for no reason....

Fourdogs

"John H. Guillory" wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 16:37:34 -0400, Fourdogs <nospam*@excite.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Thanks Mike
> >
> >Already did that. There must be something running in the background
> >that I can't see. Maybe some program checking for updates? I just
> >don't know. How can one be sure that all is disabled or stopped?

> I'm kinda guessing the software your going to have to disable is
> called Windows.... The only way your going to stop the disk activity
> is most likely by giving it enough memory to keep it from swapping to
> disk during the installation, that and by stopping any un-needed
> services that are waisting memory for no reason....

Problem solved. Went to msconfig and unchecked all non-essentials and
it installed o.k. Rechecked previously unchecked programs and all is
well. BTW, my 1024 megs of ram (683 free) was not the problem. I still
do not know what was "writing to disk", but all is well that ends well.
Thank you and Mike for your suggestions.
--

regards,
4D