Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > No Direct3D ?

No Direct3D ?

A. J. Moss

I built a computer for my parents, based around the following:

Abit KT7-RAID mobo
Unlocked Athlon T'bird 1400 CPU
OEM GeForce2 Pro graphics card (64M DDRAM)
Cheap Gamesurround 6-speaker sound card (C-Media 8738 chipset)
Cheap Intel controllerless (host-assisted) modem
Western Digital 20Gb WD200BB hard disk
Lite-on 52x24x52x CDRW
Asus 16x48x DVD-ROM
Generic 300W PSU

Windows 98SE
Drivers for the above listed hardware
A couple of applications
No anti-virus or firewall software (yet)

I haven't yet installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers; instead, Windows 98SE
is using its own IDE and AGP drivers.

The problem is, Direct3D fails to initialise. Using DXDiag to test it
shows that under DirectX 7, 8 and 9, Direct3D fails each time at step 8,
the creation of the 3D device. Windows Help states that this behaviour
is as if the GF2 Pro card doesn't support Direct3D.

I've seen this problem before, and managed to fix it by fiddling about
with the drivers somehow, but I can't remember what I did.

I don't have this computer in front of me, so I can't try out any of
your suggestions, but if any of you experts can hazard a guess as to
what the problem might be, I'd be grateful. If not, I'll ask again the
next time I visit my parents.

°Mike°

You NEED to install your 4-in-one drivers, AND
update DirectX; make sure your sound drivers
are updated, too. Both are necessary for the
system to create "3D Device".

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 18:31:41 +0100, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
A. J. Moss scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

pcbutts1

Why are you using the old win98 drivers instead the updated NVIDIA drivers?

"A. J. Moss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I built a computer for my parents, based around the following:
>
> Abit KT7-RAID mobo
> Unlocked Athlon T'bird 1400 CPU
> OEM GeForce2 Pro graphics card (64M DDRAM)
> Cheap Gamesurround 6-speaker sound card (C-Media 8738 chipset)
> Cheap Intel controllerless (host-assisted) modem
> Western Digital 20Gb WD200BB hard disk
> Lite-on 52x24x52x CDRW
> Asus 16x48x DVD-ROM
> Generic 300W PSU
>
> Windows 98SE
> Drivers for the above listed hardware
> A couple of applications
> No anti-virus or firewall software (yet)
>
> I haven't yet installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers; instead, Windows 98SE
> is using its own IDE and AGP drivers.
>
> The problem is, Direct3D fails to initialise. Using DXDiag to test it
> shows that under DirectX 7, 8 and 9, Direct3D fails each time at step 8,
> the creation of the 3D device. Windows Help states that this behaviour
> is as if the GF2 Pro card doesn't support Direct3D.
>
> I've seen this problem before, and managed to fix it by fiddling about
> with the drivers somehow, but I can't remember what I did.
>
> I don't have this computer in front of me, so I can't try out any of
> your suggestions, but if any of you experts can hazard a guess as to
> what the problem might be, I'd be grateful. If not, I'll ask again the
> next time I visit my parents.

Paul - xxx

A. J. Moss typed:

> I haven't yet installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers; instead, Windows 98SE
> is using its own IDE and AGP drivers.

> I've seen this problem before, and managed to fix it by fiddling about
> with the drivers somehow, but I can't remember what I did.

Causality ...

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks

A. J. Moss

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004, "pcbutts1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Why are you using the old win98 drivers instead the updated NVIDIA drivers?

I am using the updated NVidia drivers for the graphics card. It's just,
as two other people have pointed out, that I need to use the updated
*Via* drivers as well (it seems).

Jim Berwick

A. J. Moss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I haven't yet installed the Via 4-in-1 drivers; instead, Windows 98SE
> is using its own IDE and AGP drivers.

Why didn't you do this first? Get the chipset drivers, then get the latest
detonators from nvidia.com