Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can I download Freeserve NGs on NTL connection?

Can I download Freeserve NGs on NTL connection?

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Hi,

I have Cable Modem and I want to download NGs from Freeserve account.
Could it be possible please?

Rajinder

PJB

"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote in message
news:K8UFc.172$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have Cable Modem and I want to download NGs from

Freeserve account.
> Could it be possible please?

yes, I use my NTL connexion to access Claranews servers
every day Just put the relevant settings into your news
client.

P.

Chris

No.

Freeserve do not let you post to their newsgroup server unless you have
dialled up to them and are not witholding your phone number. This is in
their terms and conditions.

Chris
"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:K8UFc.172$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I have Cable Modem and I want to download NGs from Freeserve account.
> Could it be possible please?
>
> Rajinder

Exiddor

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:05:30 GMT, Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:

> I have Cable Modem and I want to download NGs from Freeserve account.
> Could it be possible please?

Most of the Freeserve newsgroups are carried on the NTL news servers, if
that's what you want.

--
Exiddor.

°Mike°

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:25:46 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
PJB scrawled:

>"Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote in message
>news:K8UFc.172$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have Cable Modem and I want to download NGs from

>Freeserve account.
>> Could it be possible please?

>yes, I use my NTL connexion to access Claranews servers
>every day Just put the relevant settings into your news
>client.
>
>P.

Claranews is *not* Freeserve (now Wanadoo).

--
Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

No, you will need to be logged onto a Freeserve account
to access their newsgroups.

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:05:30 GMT, in
<K8UFc.172$(E-Mail Removed)>
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

why?

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:05:30 GMT, Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have Cable Modem and I want to download NGs from Freeserve account.
>Could it be possible please?

That would be an NTL account? Normally the permissions to access an ISPs
server are automatic (fixed broadband or username/password) to the ISPs
own servers and not those of others.

If you wish to access servers that are not from your ISP, you would need
to know if Freeserve allows access with a username / password.

There are some ISPs like Clara that offer a news only account that works
fine from other ISPs. There are a handfull of others oftem mentioned in
past posts in 24HSHD.

Me

Bob B

No, you will need to be logged onto a Freeserve account
> to access their newsgroups.

Not true Mike....you can get the freeserve newsgroups.....check it out!!
(Mind I had always logged on to freeserve previously to get to their
newsgroups) BB

> On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:05:30 GMT, in
> <K8UFc.172$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt scrawled:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have Cable Modem and I want to download NGs from Freeserve account.
> >Could it be possible please?
> >
> >Rajinder
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:19:26 GMT, in
<i81Gc.1059$(E-Mail Removed)>
Bob B scrawled:

> No, you will need to be logged onto a Freeserve account
>> to access their newsgroups.

>Not true Mike....you can get the freeserve newsgroups.....check it out!!
>(Mind I had always logged on to freeserve previously to get to their
>newsgroups) BB

Read the question again. The original poster is with NTL,
on broadband. He will NOT be able to use news.freeserve.com
to download a complete list of newsgroups on the Freeserve
news server, whilst connected to NTL -- he is not talking about
viewing the individual "freeserve.blah.blah" newsgroups, which
*may* be accessible on some other servers, but likely not
many. I repeat: Freeserve require you to be connected to
a Freeserve account to access the Freeserve news server.

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt