Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Low level format on laptop HD

Low level format on laptop HD

Chu-Chu

HP Pavilion
40 GB Hitachi HD
WinXP

I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.
diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
is only at 7%. Is this normal?

Jim Berwick

Chu-Chu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:marymary105-
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com:

> I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
> hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.

You are not low level formatting, you are simply writing zeros. The drive
is dead, get an RMA or bin it.

Toolman Tim

"Chu-Chu" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-nyc.rr.com
>| HP Pavilion
>| 40 GB Hitachi HD
>| WinXP
>|
>| I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format
>| of my hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the
>| S.M.A.R.T. diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O
>| and delayed write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours
>| and the progress is only at 7%. Is this normal?

The ONLY utilities you should use on your hard disk would be those written
by the hard disk manufacturer. (For Maxtor drives, go to Maxtor's website,
for Western Digital, go to their website, etc.) There may be enough
differences in the hardware to cause more problems.

THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:13:28 GMT, Chu-Chu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>HP Pavilion
>40 GB Hitachi HD
>WinXP
>
>I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
>hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.
>diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
>write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
>is only at 7%. Is this normal?

You can't low level format your hard drive.

-Barry
========

GoGeta

if your getting weird errors...time to backup what you can and buy a new
drive..cause its probably going to die
"Barry OGrady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:13:28 GMT, Chu-Chu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >HP Pavilion
> >40 GB Hitachi HD
> >WinXP
> >
> >I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
> >hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.
> >diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
> >write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
> >is only at 7%. Is this normal?

> You can't low level format your hard drive.
>

> -Barry
> ========
> Web page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
> Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.

Mekius_

GoGeta wrote:
> if your getting weird errors...time to backup what you can and buy a new
> drive..cause its probably going to die
> "Barry OGrady" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 19:13:28 GMT, Chu-Chu <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>

>>>HP Pavilion
>>>40 GB Hitachi HD
>>>WinXP
>>>
>>>I used the Madboot disk (www.madboot.com) to do a low level format of my
>>>hard drive. The reason for this was my HD failed the S.M.A.R.T.
>>>diagnostic test and I'd recently been getting several I/O and delayed
>>>write errors in WinXP SP 1. It's been almost 24 hours and the progress
>>>is only at 7%. Is this normal?

>>You can't low level format your hard drive.
>>

>>-Barry
>>========
>>Web page: http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
>>Atheist, radio scanner, LIPD information.

Many people get confused about what a low-level format is. Only the
maker of the drive can low-level format. What he is probably doing is
writing 0's to the drive which wont fix hardware related problems.