Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > I need help removing Norton NAV fragments

I need help removing Norton NAV fragments

Bill Dobbs

I have a P4 Dell computer running Windows 98 that has fragments of Norton
Anti Virus that is causing problems booting. The computer also freezes
during shut down which suspect is related to Norton too, I have looked in
the control panel/add or remove programs, and Norton is not there, however
in Start/programs it appears, but will not run. While booting there is a
statement stating in the registry or system.ini indicating the file cannot
be found.

I realize that there is commercial software that purportedly will remove
fragments of deleted programs, but I hope to find freeware of shareware to
accomplish this.

Thanks,
Bill

Unk

On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 23:28:39 -0400, "Bill Dobbs"
<bill_dobbs2000@REMOVE_THISyahoo.com> wrote:

>I have a P4 Dell computer running Windows 98 that has fragments of Norton
>Anti Virus that is causing problems booting. The computer also freezes
>during shut down which suspect is related to Norton too, I have looked in
>the control panel/add or remove programs, and Norton is not there, however
>in Start/programs it appears, but will not run. While booting there is a
>statement stating in the registry or system.ini indicating the file cannot
>be found.
>
>I realize that there is commercial software that purportedly will remove
>fragments of deleted programs, but I hope to find freeware of shareware to
>accomplish this.
>
>Thanks,
>Bill

Sigh... It may well be easier, and quicker, to format the drive and
reinstall the OS than to try to remove everything Norton put in your system.

If you MUST clean it up, here's a starter...

Download Norton's Symclean & RNAV to remove all of Norton's components:
http://service1.symantec.com/support/nsw.nsf/c851d9242b6f1c4d88256d8000469d43/a23c15c3f46a2bea88256cfa006bd852/$FILE/SYMCLN.EXE

Rnav for NAV 2003 and earlier:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/8d071816eedd7cac88256c0e005a96e5/33497f6e8a319ece88256ace0076cc02/$FILE/Rnav2003.exe

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus by using the Rnav2003.exe

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus 2000/2001/2002

How to uninstall Norton SystemWorks manually.

http://www.symantec.com/search/

Run 1st: symclean
Run 2nd: RNAV

Also do a computer search and remove any folder that contains
"Catalog.LiveSubscribe"

If you have Norton Internet Security (NIS) installed, also search
for the "Rnis removal utility"
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/429934053165308488256d8e0076af48/23bda5412ae1a49688256abe00615e20/$FILE/RnisUPG.exe

Run regedit, and clean 2 entries:
1. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Symantec
2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec

Delete folders:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared
C:\Program Files\Symantec
C:\Windows\Application Data\Symantec
C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\

XP - Loss of Internet access after uninstalling Norton Antivirus software
1.Click Start, and then click Run.
2.In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3.Locate the following Registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\DHCP
DependOnService
Note The variable lists SYMTDI.
4.Edit the value to remove SYMTDI from the dependency list.
5.Restart the computer.

Now, after all that, you'll still have some stuff in the registry that
Norton put there. Think of it as a cancer; The best you can hope for is
remission of the disease....

The Last Church

Norton will give you the program free.

How to uninstall Norton AntiVirus by using the Rnav2003.exe

Select the removal EXE for the version you had.

Michael

--
http://www.thelastchurch.org
alt.religion.thelastchurch