Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Use the thermal pad or scrape it off?

Use the thermal pad or scrape it off?

1st-timer

I have a new heatsink from thermaltake that came with a preapplied
thermal interface material. I've read some advice to use silver
compound instead, which I happen to have a tube of. But, it seems
dangerous, to me, to try to scrape off the existing compound because
of the scenario where I fail to get the stuff completely off, and the
existance of two different types of thermal interface material creates
a bigger problem..
I've read instructions to use a razor blade and avoid heating the
stuff up... but really, how much success am I really going to have if
we are talking about microscopic details here?
I'm a newb at putting on heatsinks (if that's not obvious)... but who
here thinks I can just go with the existing TIM? (Im going to run an
XP 2000+). And who says I must use the silver instead?

thanks in advance! good day

ICee

1st-timer wrote:
> I have a new heatsink from thermaltake that came with a preapplied
> thermal interface material. I've read some advice to use silver
> compound instead, which I happen to have a tube of. But, it seems
> dangerous, to me, to try to scrape off the existing compound because
> of the scenario where I fail to get the stuff completely off, and the
> existance of two different types of thermal interface material creates
> a bigger problem..
> I've read instructions to use a razor blade and avoid heating the
> stuff up... but really, how much success am I really going to have if
> we are talking about microscopic details here?
> I'm a newb at putting on heatsinks (if that's not obvious)... but who
> here thinks I can just go with the existing TIM? (Im going to run an
> XP 2000+). And who says I must use the silver instead?
>
> thanks in advance! good day

If you are not going to overclock the CPU, the TIM pad is fine. You may
get a couple degrees reduction in temperature with Arctic Silver, or
similar compound, but it's not really worth the trouble if your not
overclocking.

ICee, the giant comedy, bemiring dung ball

ICee wrote:
> 1st-timer wrote:
>> I have a new heatsink from thermaltake that came with a preapplied
>> thermal interface material. I've read some advice to use silver
>> compound instead, which I happen to have a tube of. But, it seems
>> dangerous, to me, to try to scrape off the existing compound because
>> of the scenario where I fail to get the stuff completely off, and the
>> existance of two different types of thermal interface material
>> creates a bigger problem..
>> I've read instructions to use a razor blade and avoid heating the
>> stuff up... but really, how much success am I really going to have if
>> we are talking about microscopic details here?
>> I'm a newb at putting on heatsinks (if that's not obvious)... but who
>> here thinks I can just go with the existing TIM? (Im going to run an
>> XP 2000+). And who says I must use the silver instead?
>>
>> thanks in advance! good day

> If you are not going to overclock the CPU, the TIM pad is fine. You
> may get a couple degrees reduction in temperature with Arctic Silver,
> or similar compound, but it's not really worth the trouble if your not
> overclocking.

And that answers his questions how exactly, you ****witted, nonviable, insufficient cleaner?

SgtMinor

http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

1st-timer wrote:

> I have a new heatsink from thermaltake that came with a preapplied
> thermal interface material. I've read some advice to use silver
> compound instead, which I happen to have a tube of. But, it seems
> dangerous, to me, to try to scrape off the existing compound because
> of the scenario where I fail to get the stuff completely off, and the
> existance of two different types of thermal interface material creates
> a bigger problem..
> I've read instructions to use a razor blade and avoid heating the
> stuff up... but really, how much success am I really going to have if
> we are talking about microscopic details here?
> I'm a newb at putting on heatsinks (if that's not obvious)... but who
> here thinks I can just go with the existing TIM? (Im going to run an
> XP 2000+). And who says I must use the silver instead?
>
> thanks in advance! good day

Paul - xxx

1st-timer typed:
> I have a new heatsink from thermaltake that came with a preapplied
> thermal interface material. I've read some advice to use silver
> compound instead, which I happen to have a tube of. But, it seems
> dangerous, to me, to try to scrape off the existing compound because
> of the scenario where I fail to get the stuff completely off, and the
> existance of two different types of thermal interface material creates
> a bigger problem..
> I've read instructions to use a razor blade and avoid heating the
> stuff up... but really, how much success am I really going to have if
> we are talking about microscopic details here?
> I'm a newb at putting on heatsinks (if that's not obvious)... but who
> here thinks I can just go with the existing TIM? (Im going to run an
> XP 2000+). And who says I must use the silver instead?
>
> thanks in advance! good day

Personally, I'd scrape the pad off and use paste, but then I've done it a
few times ..

If this is the first time for you then maybe sticking with the pad is a
reasonable idea .. especially if you can't afford to **** up. The
difference in performance between pad and paste possibly isn't worth the
effort involved if you're running a plain system, and aren't confident about
what you can do anyway ..

--
Paul ...

(8(|) ... Homer Rocks