Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Router for cable modem

Router for cable modem

Tommy

Is there a problem using a cable /dsl switch for a cable modem so I can use
2-3 modems at the same time.??? I am using xp pro windows and also d-link
cable/dsl switch to connect the computers and the cable modem??? it seems i
just have to connect them and they will all work fine. is ther any confiq I
have to do so I will not have a problem in the future thanks in advance

zxcvbob

Tommy wrote:
> Is there a problem using a cable /dsl switch for a cable modem so I can use
> 2-3 modems at the same time.??? I am using xp pro windows and also d-link
> cable/dsl switch to connect the computers and the cable modem??? it seems i
> just have to connect them and they will all work fine. is ther any confiq I
> have to do so I will not have a problem in the future thanks in advance

Do you mean a switch so 2 or 3 computers can use the cable modem at the
same time? (cuz that's not what you said)

Connect the cable modem to the "WAN" or "Uplink" port, and the computers
to the LAN ports. If you really have a switch (or hub), as opposed to a
router, you may have a problem with the maximum number of IP addresses
assigned by your Internet service provider. You will probably need to
disable the "Internet Connection Firewall" in your network settings if
you want the computers to be able to share files and install your own
firewall (such as ZoneAlarm.) If you do not want to share files, you
definitely want ICF enabled.

It's a lot easier if you use a 4-port router instead of a switch; the
router will act as a firewall, plus your ISP will only see one computer
attached instead of 2 or 3.

Bob

Duane Arnold

zxcvbob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Tommy wrote:
>> Is there a problem using a cable /dsl switch for a cable modem so I
>> can use 2-3 modems at the same time.??? I am using xp pro windows and
>> also d-link cable/dsl switch to connect the computers and the cable
>> modem??? it seems i just have to connect them and they will all work
>> fine. is ther any confiq I have to do so I will not have a problem
>> in the future thanks in advance
>>

> Do you mean a switch so 2 or 3 computers can use the cable modem at
> the same time? (cuz that's not what you said)
>
> Connect the cable modem to the "WAN" or "Uplink" port, and the
> computers to the LAN ports. If you really have a switch (or hub), as
> opposed to a router, you may have a problem with the maximum number of
> IP addresses assigned by your Internet service provider.

> You will
> probably need to disable the "Internet Connection Firewall" in your
> network settings if you want the computers to be able to share files
> and install your own firewall (such as ZoneAlarm.)

One can configure ICF just like any other host based firewall to do FPS
on a network.

http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/icf.htm

> If you do not want
> to share files, you definitely want ICF enabled.

If one doesn't want a machine to share resources on the network, one
unbinds the File and Print Sharing service from the NIC, which is the
proper thing to do.

> It's a lot easier if you use a 4-port router instead of a switch; the
> router will act as a firewall, plus your ISP will only see one
> computer attached instead of 2 or 3.

The NAT router for home usage has NAT and SPI at most and has FW like
features and meets the specs in the link and are *port forwarders*.

The NAT router for home usage meets the specs in the link.

An appliance with a FW will meet the spec in the link.

http://www.firewall-software.com/fir...rewall_do.html

The protection starts with the O/S and everything else is secondary to
the O/S.

http://www.uksecurityonline.com/index5.php

Duane