Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > User profiles on NT4

User profiles on NT4

Jo

Within the next few weeks I'll be replacing my Win98se machines with XP Pro
machines, running off an NT4 server.

At the moment we've tested 1 machine but when we log onto the network a user
profile folder is created under C:\Documents and Settings folder.

How do I set up having the user profile folders stored on the server and not
the local machine?

Any help would be most welcome.

Duane Arnold

"Jo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Within the next few weeks I'll be replacing my Win98se machines with
> XP Pro machines, running off an NT4 server.
>
> At the moment we've tested 1 machine but when we log onto the network
> a user profile folder is created under C:\Documents and Settings
> folder.
>
> How do I set up having the user profile folders stored on the server
> and not the local machine?
>
> Any help would be most welcome.

I think you're looking to setup roaming user profiles.

Duane

why?

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:49:26 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:

>"Jo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Within the next few weeks I'll be replacing my Win98se machines with
>> XP Pro machines, running off an NT4 server.
>>
>> At the moment we've tested 1 machine but when we log onto the network
>> a user profile folder is created under C:\Documents and Settings
>> folder.
>>
>> How do I set up having the user profile folders stored on the server
>> and not the local machine?
>>
>> Any help would be most welcome.
>>

>I think you're looking to setup roaming user profiles.
>
>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q316353

That can get messy, if people discover how to set the MSIE cache to
250MB. Every logon / logoff updates it between the PC/Server.
(although with the IE Admin Kit , good policy setups can help)

Me

Duane Arnold

why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 20:49:26 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote:
>
>>"Jo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Within the next few weeks I'll be replacing my Win98se machines with
>>> XP Pro machines, running off an NT4 server.
>>>
>>> At the moment we've tested 1 machine but when we log onto the network
>>> a user profile folder is created under C:\Documents and Settings
>>> folder.
>>>
>>> How do I set up having the user profile folders stored on the server
>>> and not the local machine?
>>>
>>> Any help would be most welcome.
>>>

>>I think you're looking to setup roaming user profiles.
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q316353

> That can get messy, if people discover how to set the MSIE cache to
> 250MB. Every logon / logoff updates it between the PC/Server.
> (although with the IE Admin Kit , good policy setups can help)

I believe you. IMHO, users of Win NT 4.0 should be moving off of the O/S
since MS will no longer support it for free in six months. Any security
patches for NT 4.0 for those who are not paying M$ or they don't have
third party support will not be able to apply security updates.

Duane

MC

My record was when a user didn't realise he had 4Gb, yes 4Gb, worth of stuff
on his desktop and he thought the machine had crashed when trying to log on
to a new machine. But of course, the machine was downloading 4Gb of his
stuff from the server!!!!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...