Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

William Reitz

Does anyone know what the execution file is for the Windowa Picture
and Fax Viewer. I try to open some JPG files on this computer and get
box advising no application is associated with this type file. I have
option of selecting an application but don't know what program exe
file to use.

On another computer, Windows Picture and FAX Viewer opens
automatically on the same JPG file.

Thanks

Unk

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:30:55 GMT, William Reitz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Does anyone know what the execution file is for the Windowa Picture
>and Fax Viewer. I try to open some JPG files on this computer and get
>box advising no application is associated with this type file. I have
>option of selecting an application but don't know what program exe
>file to use.
>
>On another computer, Windows Picture and FAX Viewer opens
>automatically on the same JPG file.
>
>Thanks

MSPaint is capable of viewing those files.

The Windows Picture and FAX Viewer is only available on WinXP.
If the other machine is XP, then it's been disabled.

Disable Windows Picture and Fax Viewer
http://www.tweakxp.com/tweak148.aspx
By default, Windows XP opens all picture files (gif,jpg,...) with the
included Windows Picture and Fax Viewer no matter what other
picture viewers you have installed. To disable the Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer, unregister shimgvw.dll. This can be done
from command prompt, or the Start, Run box.
regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll

Additional note: unregistering shimgvw.dll will also disable thumbnail view
in Explorer and may cause problems changing user account and desktop
background pictures, and user icons. To reenable Picture and Fax viewer
again type: regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

Disable or Restore Picture and Fax Viewer:
See Article #80

°Mike°

Use IrfanView or PhotoFiltre

IrfanView (free)
http://www.irfanview.com/

PhotoFiltre (free)
http://photofiltre.free.fr/frames_en.htm

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 17:30:55 GMT, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
William Reitz scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Mr. Trevor Fourie

William Reitz wrote:
> Does anyone know what the execution file is for the Windowa Picture
> and Fax Viewer. I try to open some JPG files on this computer and get
> box advising no application is associated with this type file. I have
> option of selecting an application but don't know what program exe
> file to use.

There isn't a Windows Picture and Fax Viewer executable:

rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscre en %1